News Article: Lebreton...UPDATE - Agreement made with NCC.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
That does not sound appetizing for higher income people.

Parking is definitely an important requirement that must be addressed. Hopefully the size of the plot will provide sufficient spaces with better access and egress than the current arena.

If the NCC wants to turn Lebreton into a site that attracts a lot of people (e.g., an entertainment district), significant parking will be required.

Parking will be there, but to your point, it will be for high income people.

Fewer spots that are much more expensive.

Parking at Scotiabank Place for a Leafs game is $50. It might not be quite as high here, but it won’t be $20 anymore. I’d expect $35-40 for a spot at the building.

I think everyone can agree that no parking would not have worked. But the question that remains is how much parking?

I think some expect close to as many spots as in Kanata, and that’s just not happening.

The average Sens fan who sits in the 300s probably won’t be parking at the building.

Personally, I’m surprised this is such a topic. Why do people want to drive to games anyway? I’d much rather buy overpriced beer than overpriced parking and have a good time.

I remember a had a friend come into town from Chicago one time for a game and told him I’d be driving. His first question was “why would you want to drive?”

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The reality is, though, that the taxpayers in Ottawa will be subsidizing this building. And not everyone will use it. Not everyone cares about the Senators. Or Avril Lavigne concerts.

But they’ll pay, because in the grand scheme of things, keeping the team here and revitalizing the core has been deemed important.

So an extra couple bucks per ticket to encourage people to take public transit isn’t much to ask for.

But maybe a compromise. Let’s forget about a surcharge on tickets and add $5-7 to the cost of parking to support transit.

Better?
I’d just rather pay the fare, on the games, concerts, Disney on ice, cirque du Soleil, Monster trucks etc. events I go to.

We all pay a lot on our tax bill for a poor public transit. Check how much you pay

We either jump on a school bus from a bar/restaurant or car pool.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
As to parking, could they not get some land from the mayor and Bayview for some parking and then jump on the LRT.
To be used as overflow if only say 1000-1500 spots at LB. If thought more was needed.

Team run if bought, or city run for revenue.

Last edited:
Reactions: thinkwild

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
I’d just rather pay the fare, on the games, concerts, Disney on ice, cirque du Soleil, Monster trucks etc. events I go to.

We all pay a lot on our tax bill for a poor public transit. Check how much you pay

We either jump on a school bus from a bar, or car pool.

We’re going to pay a lot to support this building too. Once it’s built, using it to infuse money into a transit system that needs it is one way to justify some of that cost.

As to parking, could they not get some land from the mayor and Bayview for some parking and then jump on the LRT.
To be used as overflow if only 1500 spots at LB.

Team run if bought, or city run for revenue.

Bayview is good, central real estate. Let’s not turn it into an overflow parking lot. Let’s turn it into something that actually benefits the people that live near it (or want to live near it).

There are plenty of lots within walking distance that already exist.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

Parking is definitely an important requirement that must be addressed. Hopefully the size of the plot will provide sufficient spaces with better access and egress than the current arena.

If the NCC wants to turn Lebreton into a site that attracts a lot of people (e.g., an entertainment district), significant parking will be required.
Exactly this. Many entrepreneurs or business owners I know are already moaning and groaning about not being able to drive their cars there. These are the guys who buy the suites, the Club Bell loges etc. They like to drive in their Gwagun, Bentley, Lamborghini etc. to the games. So, I am sure they have calculated how many suite/season ticket holders would want valet. Simple to do really. Just do a count of how many there are in Valet for the last 5 years would give a good picture. So, at the very least, they will have enough parking for those types. I am good with that.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Exactly this. Many entrepreneurs or business owners I know are already moaning and groaning about not being able to drive their cars there. These are the guys who buy the suites, the Club Bell loges etc. They like to drive in their Gwagun, Bentley, Lamborghini etc. to the games. So, I am sure they have calculated how many suite/season ticket holders would want valet. Simple to do really. Just do a count of how many there are in Valet for the last 5 years would give a good picture. So, at the very least, they will have enough parking for those types. I am good with that.
Suites will have parking, I’d imaging about 2500-3000 spots which will be on land planned for later development with 500 or so under the rink.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We’re going to pay a lot to support this building too.
You keep repeating this, in which ways are you referring to moving forward, (crystal ball) nobody knows yet, and how did they, in the past.?

No the transit system doesn’t need to double and triple dip. You pay for a ticket if you need it, anything else is greed.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I have been buzzing all weekend since the announcement. Yes it will be a while yet but the fact that having to drive to Kanata will be a thing of the past is incredible.
Lol, you’ll be happy while the fans from Kanata westward will lament the longer drive to the rink.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You keep repeating this, in which ways are you referring to moving forward, (crystal ball) nobody knows yet, and how did they, in the past.?

No the transit system doesn’t need to double and triple dip. You pay for a ticket if you need it, anything else is greed.
Bluesfest tickets have a transit surcharge.

Reactions: DackellDuck

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

Who's going to pay for the infrastructure improvements that will be (very much) needed to support those from the suburbs who want drive to games instead going to a park and ride and taking transit?

It'll come from all of our taxes. But if I'm not going to drive, why do I need to pay for it? Maybe we can have toll roads around the rink. If you need to get into Lebreton Flats via car, pay for it.

Also let's be real, the amount taxpayers contribute is TBD, but at the very least the Senators will receive very favorable tax exemptions, which we'll all pay for.

Lol, you’ll be happy while the fans from Kanata westward will lament the longer drive to the rink.

Luckily by 2030 they'll all be back in government offices 5 days a week so they'll be downtown anyways...

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Who's going to pay for the infrastructure improvements that will be (very much) needed to support those from the suburbs who want drive to games instead going to a park and ride and taking transit?

It'll come from all of our taxes. But if I'm not going to drive, why do I need to pay for it?

Maybe we can have toll roads around the rink. If you need it, pay for it.

Luckily by 2030 they'll all be back in the federal offices 5 days a week so they'll be downtown anyways...
We all pay hundreds of dollars a year into transit. It’s running about 58% publicly funded. Supposed to be 50/50.

We all pay into roads, whether you drive, bike, bus, if we use them or not, not sure where you’re going.

Maybe you aren’t paying into yet, not sure.
Anyway’s have a good day, we obviously agree to disagree.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
We all pay hundreds of dollars a year into transit. It’s running about 58% publicly funded. Supposed to be 50/50.

We all pay into roads, whether you drive, bike, bus, if we use them or not, not sure where you’re going.

Maybe you aren’t paying into yet, not sure.
Anyway’s have a good day, we obviously agree to disagree.

Fair to disagree.

One technicality, though. If $2 (or whatever amount) from the price of parking went to transit, that would help get the split to 50/50. Because it wouldn't be an additional tax on the public. It'd be an additional tax on the Senators (a private company) that they could either swallow (unlikely) or pass down to their customers – the ones who want to drive and park (likely).

You could choose to not pay it by not parking at the rink and taking advantage of free transit to the game.

Asking the Senators to contribute some to transit (as they will be a huge beneficiary) is different than asking everyone in Ottawa to pay more for transit.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

You'll be paying that $2 whether it's a surcharge for transit or it's going to the teams revenue, the tickets are going to be priced at the level the team feels the buyers will put up with whether that's a $48 +$2 surcharge or a $50 ticket with no surcharge.

The more people we get using transit the better we all are, it lessens traffic on game days for drivers going to games or not, it decrease demand for parking spots, and thus potentially the cost for drivers to games, there isn't really a downside.

Reactions: DackellDuck

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

This will be a perk for season ticket holders.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There are zoning requirements for the amount of parking in condos, I believe it's between .5 and .7 spots per unit downtown, but that's based on unreliable google searches rather that looking up the specific zoning rules. .
Hypothetically of course, 400 - 500 tenants = 250 - 300 units = .5 - .7 spots roughly. There is no way there can be public parking associated with these residential sites was the argument mysens was trying to make.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
.....and this is why it will take 5 years to build the arena. I can't wait until you guys start debating toilet seats, grip tape for the stairs or garage door motors for the loading bays.

• Haha
Reactions: mysens

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
.....and this is why it will take 5 years to build the arena. I can't wait until you guys start debating toilet seats, grip tape for the stairs or garage door motors for the loading bays.

5 years!? Did shovels already go in the ground?

I think we’re looking at 2030/31 at the earliest. The LRT will be humming into Kanata and Brady Tkachuk will be on his retirement contract on the revived Arizona Coyotes after winning 2 Stanley Cups with the Senators.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
5 years!? Did shovels already go in the ground?

I think we’re looking at 2030/31 at the earliest. The LRT will be humming into Kanata and Brady Tkachuk will be on his retirement contract on the revived Arizona Coyotes after winning 2 Stanley Cups with the Senators.
Pretty confident we will drop the puck at Lebreton to start the 29/30 season if not 28/29

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario

I absolutely get it, but from an outsiders perspective as someone that lives about an hour out of town... What makes more logical sense?

Continue servicing the roughly 150K people of Kanata-Stittsville? Or a central arena to service the other 950K better...

The drive time from two "far away" places looking at a map for 30 seconds (Not from Ottawa so don't know if these are the farthest each direction that would still count as Ottawa)

Stanley Corners goes from driving 12 minutes to the CTC, to 27 minutes to LbF...

Navan goes from driving 34 minutes to the CTC, to 26.

Martins Corners go from 30->23.

Manotick goes from 19-25.

Greely goes from 33-30.

My personal drive goes from 62 minutes to 66...

I could see people in Kanata-Stittsville and like, Carleton place caring a whole lot... but the majority of the city ends up mostly benefiting travel-wise time from the move.

Reactions: Relapsing

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
No need. If you're just jumping on the LRT, there's a ton of parking at Tunney's Pasture that's empty after work.
Park and rides along the LRT lines will be very popular, especially when Bayview and Pimisi are connected to the stadium. Tunneys is a good one. Which others are there?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hypothetically of course, 400 - 500 tenants = 250 - 300 units = .5 - .7 spots roughly. There is no way there can be public parking associated with these residential sites was the argument mysens was trying to make.
Those are just min standards, if they want more parking for tenants they can do so, if they want to devote a floor of parking for public use, they can do that.

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
I see a few people on other platforms saying "what about the fans in valley". The team is called the Ottawa Senators, not the Ottawa Valley Senators. The CTC is the worst location for an arena in the league, alongside Florida. The move benefits way more fans than it negatively impacts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad