News Article: Lebreton...UPDATE - Agreement made with NCC.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Don’t know why some people really think there’ll be parking for all 18,000 people. I’ve not once gone to a game in Toronto/Montreal, or any other major city and thought to myself: you know what, I’d love to park right beside the stadium. Because by the way that parking usually goes for $50 a car 😂

I've gone to a game in Montreal where I parked even closer than right beside the arena and I didn't pay $50.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They need to give easy access to Uber and taxi.
That’s a massive “miss” at CTC (I say miss but I’m sure it’s intentional to steer revenue)

How easy would it be to have someone drop you off near CTC and then Uber/taxi home? And lots of other permutations.

If it was easier to get out of CTC, I would have went to many more games over the years, particularly weeknights where I don’t tend to go at all if I’m working the next day
The team cannot stop someone from driving by and dropping someone off.

After all, the Freedom Canada folks not only drove by and stopped; they stayed there for weeks and our police force was completely "dumbfounded" by it all.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Its unreal on game days, for concerts events and the farmers market. I dont want the box stores though, trying to make it a shopping district wasnt smart but the restaurants and bars are fun.

Keep the team in Kanata then. Train yards is essentially the suburbs just slightly closer to the core. brutal location.

It was always going to be Lebreton or Bayview. They want to be close to Gatineau the downtown core and thats where the two trains meet.

Happy they are buying the land. Frankly they should just be giving it to them.
"Free Land? Wow! I want some to hold hockey games there too.

I've gone to a game in Montreal where I parked even closer than right beside the arena and I didn't pay $50.
Did you get a tow?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They need to give easy access to Uber and taxi.
That’s a massive “miss” at CTC (I say miss but I’m sure it’s intentional to steer revenue)

There is a taxi lane right in front of the building, between parking lot and interlocking brick.
How easy would it be to have someone drop you off near CTC and then Uber/taxi home? And lots of other permutations.

I’ve been dropped of lots on the side of building along Palladium drives there’s a spot for 5-6 cars to stop and drop off.

Reactions: Cosmix

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Its unreal on game days, for concerts events and the farmers market. I dont want the box stores though, trying to make it a shopping district wasnt smart but the restaurants and bars are fun.

Keep the team in Kanata then. Train yards is essentially the suburbs just slightly closer to the core. brutal location.

It was always going to be Lebreton or Bayview. They want to be close to Gatineau the downtown core and thats where the two trains meet.

Happy they are buying the land. Frankly they should just be giving it to them.
Sure game days in the summer. but what game days are going to be unreal at Lebreton mid summer? Concerts sure but every night? Landsdowne non game days are pretty drab.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

add to that the NCC requirement that the land would be leased and it looks like Andlauer pressed his advantage right out of the gates.

To flog a dead horse, I note there was no public ranting, threats, or pouting.
Give the ranters and pouters time to get their shit together. There is still a lot of time for that to occur.

I understand where the NCC was coming from. As a semi-political governmental entity, they had to demonstrate that they were taking into account environmental issues, Algonquin issues, political issues, etc. Then the negotiations could occur.

Glad they have generally resolved the issues and agreed to sell the land at "fair market value", whatever that turns out to be. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don’t know why some people really think there’ll be parking for all 18,000 people. I’ve not once gone to a game in Toronto/Montreal, or any other major city and thought to myself: you know what, I’d love to park right beside the stadium. Because by the way that parking usually goes for $50 a car 😂
I don't see anyone suggesting that parking would be required for all 18,000 fans at an arena event. I was using some stats provided by planners when building new event venues. The 1 parking space per 3.5 attendees was their rule-of-thumb. It does not mean that all fans need parking. I suppose that about half of attendees (9,000) would walk or take mass transit to the events. The other half (about 9,000) would go via vehicle that would require parking.

Reactions: DrEasy

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
The team cannot stop someone from driving by and dropping someone off.

After all, the Freedom Canada folks not only drove by and stopped; they stayed there for weeks and our police force was completely "dumbfounded" by it all.

There is a taxi lane right in front of the building, between parking lot and interlocking brick.

I’ve been dropped of lots on the side of building along Palladium drives there’s a spot for 5-6 cars to stop and drop off.

Yes, getting dropped off is easy. But not useful unless you have a way to get home. Getting picked up is the limiting factor.

I have never noticed a taxi lane after the game. Not disputing, just not something I’ve noticed.

Where they need is something like the airport. If there was a place to live up and be within a taxi in minutes. People would use it, and taxis would be happy for the business. Ubers (and pick-ups) can be incorporated too if there was a way for vehicles to quickly flow in and out like the airport

Reactions: DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes, getting dropped off is easy. But not useful unless you have a way to get home. Getting picked up is the limiting factor.

I have never noticed a taxi lane after the game. Not disputing, just not something I’ve noticed.

Where they need is something like the airport. If there was a place to live up and be within a taxi in minutes. People would use it, and taxis would be happy for the business. Ubers (and pick-ups) can be incorporated too if there was a way for vehicles to quickly flow in and out like the airport
From the web page

Taxi pick-up service is available at Gate 1 of the Canadian Tire Centre. Phones linking you directly to the taxi company are located beside the exit doors at Gate 1.

Some are out front already when exit game.
However if you want to go to Stittville or Kanata, some don’t seem happy as they want a fare that’s going further.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Give the ranters and pouters time to get their shit together. There is still a lot of time for that to occur.

I understand where the NCC was coming from. As a semi-political governmental entity, they had to demonstrate that they were taking into account environmental issues, Algonquin issues, political issues, etc. Then the negotiations could occur.

Glad they have generally resolved the issues and agreed to sell the land at "fair market value", whatever that turns out to be. :)
I suspect 'fair market value' is a bit misleading since the value of the land is going to be intrinsically linked to the cost of decontamination which as I understand it is still an unknown both in terms of scope and who's taking it on. I'd throw acquisition cost out the window, Andlauer could end up getting it for a song at the end of the day.

Here is how the optimist in me sees this the more I think about it. The Sens have just 'purchased' a parcel of land that the federal government has a massive stake in. We know the NCC isn't going to go halfway with Lebreton and through leases and land sales etc... they essentially have an unlimited budget to develop it into a model of sustainability that makes it a global icon. We're talking a gold standard master plan that goes up against anything out there in the world's most forward thinking cities.

For an example think of what the Highline did for the City of New York... That project singlehandedly put New York back on the map and will pay dividends for the next century. It gets written up in all kinds of publications and New York and the various authorities involved did an excellent job to leverage the good press and maximize the return on the project in general.

So, if the NCC is going global with Lebreton what's a little help in making sure the arena is the hallmark of the whole thing? Especially when the help could be conveniently baked into the decontamination or land transfer. It can also be concealed under the guise of a partnership, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I could think of 100 ways the NCC could pitch in in a way that manages the optics- they cover the cost of all public space around the arena for example, or all the infrastructure...

With such a massive opportunity and all sorts of global recognition at stake the City of Ottawa isn't going to sit idly by, they will do everything to hitch their trailer to it. It would be bad business to not get involved. Maybe the Province too.

So, the Sens have the opportunity to position themselves and the arena as a relatively affordable part of something absolutely massive with a lineup of drooling stakeholders looking to have their name stamped somewhere amongst it. It's a scenario where you could see the burden of the $1B price tag for the arena portion of the project creatively slashed to make sure it becomes a worthy centrepiece to everything else that will happen at Lebreton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad