News Article: Lebreton...UPDATE - Agreement made with NCC.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Amazing news...although it's one step in the process. Also curious about the idea of outright buying that land. Seems odd for the NCC to do that...that's some really valuable real estate.

Now the really big thing....getting a nearly broke federal and provincial government to hand over a ton of extra money to the city to get the LRT built and expanded asap.

This is a bit of pie in the sky thinking here...but imagine if they could expand the LRT to Stittsville (and maybe even Arnprior) to the west, Kemptville to the south, and Clarence-Rockland to the east! Now that would be one hell of a boost for everyone. I wonder if having a brand new arena and entertainment district (and making it easier for federal workers to get back into the office with easy transportation to work) might be enough to loosen the government purse-strings?? Kill two birds with one stone here...massively improve transportation in the greater Ottawa Valley, and get ourselves a cool new arena and entertainment area. Might also be a way for Andy to make the non-hockey fans an ally, by hooking all this up together.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Just as I said last year, this group was NEVER going to lease this land. Good for them to negotiate a straight out purchase.....as far as I know for the parking solution, I have heard that with these multi unit towers/buidlings being built, they will be able to valet cars in and out of these parking garages during events. Remember, these buildings are too be built at the same time more or less with the new facility.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Amazing what happens when you get a proper stable owner that has deep pockets and is a serious person, dude got it done for under a year while the previous guy had almost a decade to get a deal done and couldn’t do shit with it. So much time wasted with the other guy.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Must have been hard for the NCC to sell the land instead of leasing it. Maybe it’s a good trade-off in lieu of taxpayer subsidies.

Although im still dubious of Cyril’s claim that no taxpayer funding will be expected as is the case generally in Canada.

It's not just the arena but the arena district that will be important. Do they develop a good variety of post game entertainment options. Im imagining a Lansdowne v2 but they will really need to create a fun district that people want to party at or the downtown premise wont pay off. Hopefully they do something really nice around the aqueduct.

Still not sure what was implied about the parking issue resolved. Seems like they have a lot of plans for a small amount of land.
I hope to god they don't do anything remotely like Lansdown. That place is void of any substance, big boxes, and concrete.

Just as I said last year, this group was NEVER going to lease this land. Good for them to negotiate a straight out purchase.....as far as I know for the parking solution, I have heard that with these multi unit towers/buidlings being built, they will be able to valet cars in and out of these parking garages during events. Remember, these buildings are too be built at the same time more or less with the new facility.
you don't think all of those parking space will be used by the tenants? Even people who don't use their spots rent them out for big bucks.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Amazing what happens when you get a proper stable owner that has deep pockets and is a serious person, dude got it done for under a year while the previous guy had almost a decade to get a deal done and couldn’t do shit with it. So much time wasted with the other guy.
Melnyk wanted them to pay for everything and get to keep all of the profits from the building.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The design hasn't been touched. If you think it is going to look anything like the renderings you're mistaken. So when the design and engineering start being fleshed out, the NCC will need to consider what becomes of that proposed behemoth in 30 years or whenever the lease expires (or heaven's forbid, the team is relocated) and you can bet a huge factor is going to be what it's next life is considering how risk averse they are.

Maybe some of that has been done theoretically but the devil is in the details. I'm not moving the goalposts, I'm outlining how complicated things are going to get in this partnership.
I recall that in some cities the long term end of use plan is to build a new arena/stadium in the parking lot and tear down the old structure to create a new parking lot. :)

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Amazing news...although it's one step in the process. Also curious about the idea of outright buying that land. Seems odd for the NCC to do that...that's some really valuable real estate.

Now the really big thing....getting a nearly broke federal and provincial government to hand over a ton of extra money to the city to get the LRT built and expanded asap.

This is a bit of pie in the sky thinking here...but imagine if they could expand the LRT to Stittsville (and maybe even Arnprior) to the west, Kemptville to the south, and Clarence-Rockland to the east! Now that would be one hell of a boost for everyone. I wonder if having a brand new arena and entertainment district (and making it easier for federal workers to get back into the office with easy transportation to work) might be enough to loosen the government purse-strings?? Kill two birds with one stone here...massively improve transportation in the greater Ottawa Valley, and get ourselves a cool new arena and entertainment area. Might also be a way for Andy to make the non-hockey fans an ally, by hooking all this up together.
That would be where go trains would come in.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think you should interpret people arguing in favour of an arena near the Queensway as a knock on the accessibility of Lebreton. Not sure if I've heard anyone say that Lebreton isn't a good physical location.

Personally I would love to see an arena close to the core (but not Lebreton for other reasons) but there are merits behind other locations and anyone advocating for something near the Queensway has a point that it would draw more people from the suburbs like Kanata, Nepean and Orleans where a significant percentage of the fanbase lives.

Not my jam because I want to see a nice little entertainment district spring up around it with an urban feeling and I don't think you get that from say the Trainyards, but you would at Tunneys or Bayview which are near the top of my list of known potential locations.
One good thing about the Trainyards location is that it would be near the Train LRT station and the Queensway for vehicle access. The Train LRT stop would have to be upgraded to feed fans into the arena. The roads would obviously have to be modified to facilitate vehicle access and egress to the Queensway and to other major traffic arteries (Industrial Road, St. Laurent, Riverside Drive, etc.). It could be done but would be expensive and disrupting.

But expensive and disrupting would occur with the Lebreton location too.

I am good with either location. Moot point though now with the joint NCC/Senators annoucncement about Lebreton.

I wonder what the plan will be for augmenting the roads to handle the traffic to Lebreton.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Leaf fan here, good for you guys! I agree there was no point in leasing the land. If you’re going to go in you might as well go all in. In the long run it’s going to be a money maker. Just don’t bitch and complain about the prices skyrocketing lol. A new arena with the perks etc comes at a cost. But like I said congrats guys! This is amazing news for the future of the Sens and Ottawa in general. Go Leafs Go ;)

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Rip to all the trainyards shippers, lol
Yep, and in addition, the negative Nancy’s who seem to have been miserable & disappointed since Andlauer took over ownership will have one less thing to complain about. However, they will probably gripe about how long it takes to design & build the arena because of course, arenas just like Rome was built in a day. ;)

Reactions: Relapsing

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I wasn't saying to cater to them but to make it easier for people who live on the outskrits an easier commute. Brockville, Smith Falls, and Barrhaven are where a lot of fans would come from to head to the CTC. Moving downtown would make their commutes all that much worse. This went into my reasoning for have the Arena built on 2 different train lines. Like I said in an earlier post, obviously you are looking for most of your attendance coming from the core of the city but the Valley is full of Sens fans.

Fans were already ponying up for overpriced Beer, the fact you think you are going to get richer ones attending the game doesn't make the slightest difference. The difference will be becoming like Toronto where the whole lower bowl is full of "fans" who are there because its a status thing.
It’s done. You’re beating a dead horse.

:deadhorse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad