News Article: Lebreton...UPDATE - Agreement made with NCC.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Canucks *fan* here and just want to say how happy I am for y'all to be getting this. I went to Carleton University from 2000 through 2004 and always loved the city but hated driving to watch games.

I know there is potential issues with the water table near nepean bay, potential (only) parking issues and the talk of needing potential pedestrian overpasses or the like. Without mentioning of course the war museum etc etc etc

But this is amazing for the city and I couldn't be happier for y'all. Hoping they can give you 18k seating before the corporate boxes because the crowds were always absolutely amazing and a new arena deserves premium seating

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
You see how easy it is from Andlauer and Leeder to get this done in under a year. It makes you feel bad for Melnyk and all the politics that must have conspired against him.
Today we learned that getting an agreement done with the NCC for a billion dollar project is easier and quicker than hiring a couple of scouts.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Excellent news.

A new arena downtown should make Ottawa a more desirable destination for players around the league.
Direct and pretty route to Lebreton from the airport using Bronson/Airport Parkway as well. Will definitely showcase a different side of Ottawa.

The family oriented vets that set up in Carp will now have the commute though. Maybe they shift to somewhere like Chelsea.

Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Unreal that they were able to expand the parcel and purchase the land. I would assume some of the planning has been baked into this deal guaranteeing that the NCC won't stimy too many of the details.

I wonder if the municipal boundary is redrawn based on this title transfer or if the NCC remains governing body? (not sure how NCC land historically falls into City OCP, regulations and zoning). If so that would mean the Sens would be dealing less with the NCC and more with the City on planning and design.

Either way, design should be exponentially more straight forward now that the NCC has less skin in the game.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
The tough news here is that the Sens have played their hand and Sutcliffe now has very little reason to negotiate with them on the City pitching in.

On the flip side, the Sens will be adding immense value to adjacent NCC lands so perhaps they can leverage that throughout the negotiations and get concessions on things like decontamination, roadways, infrastructure, density and public spaces.

Oct 10, 2010
Even with an agreement, they’ll will be moving at a snails pace holy lol

Gotta do so many things before even thinking about shovels entering the ground.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Tomorrow is one year to the day Andlauer took over the team, and has already landed a new stadium. Pretty tidy work.
Not exactly. We now have an agreement between the team and the NCC to allow construction of a new arena at Lebreton. Much work remains to be done including addressing the traffic and parking issues.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Overall I thought the press conference was good. The NCC agreeing to sell land and a larger piece of it is huge. Glad to hear it explicitly said that they don’t have any expectations for taxpayers to have a role in funding the arena. Lots of unknowns still, including not yet having a sale price for the land (although agreement on what the “fair market vale” is shouldn’t be too difficult), and who will pay to remediate the land.

Long way (many years) to go, but what a difference it must be for those involved to be dealing with Andlauer’s group compared to what everyone involved had to put up with negotiating with Melnyk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad