News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m talking about connected to doing things after or before the game and driving economic activity.
Nobody’s walking out of that place and going anywhere IMO
It’s still cold AF in the winter, and LeBreton is not a real solution for energizing the core.
There are zero economically viable options in the “core”. LRT to Byward Markey is 7 minutes with Sparks and Elgin on the way. LRT south hits Preston. It’s only freezing cold for a couple months out of 6.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
There are zero economically viable options in the “core”. LRT to Byward Markey is 7 minutes with Sparks and Elgin on the way. LRT south hits Preston. It’s only freezing cold for a couple months out of 6.

It takes some creativity but not to worry, I wouldn’t expect Ottawa to exhibit any creativity to make something happen.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
For me, Trainyards isn't appealing. To be honest, none of the locations are "ideal" for me.

The main reason is that none of the proposed areas have proper "organic" entertainment. Any of these new sites are going to be antiseptic chain type locations. I've mentioned before, my preference would be the ability to choose live music, a dive bar, a fancy bar, whatever - I just want to fall out the front door of the rink and waltz into one of those place to celebrate or down my sorrows. Not looking forward to some roadhouse or Boston Pizza. Even a short ride on the train will tend to take away some of the momentum after a game.

I will not get my dream of a true downtown location. C'est la vie.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
For me, Trainyards isn't appealing. To be honest, none of the locations are "ideal" for me.

The main reason is that none of the proposed areas have proper "organic" entertainment. Any of these new sites are going to be antiseptic chain type locations. I've mentioned before, my preference would be the ability to chose live music, a dive bar, a fancy bar, whatever - I just want to fall out the front door of the rink and waltz into one of those place to celebrate or down my sorrows. Not looking forward to some roadhouse or Boston Pizza. Even a short ride on the train will tend to take away some of the momentum after a game.

I will not get my dream of a true downtown location. C'est la vie.
There will be a couple places at Lebreton.

Game 7 Meltdown

Sep 24, 2019
I’m talking about connected to doing things after or before the game and driving economic activity.
Nobody’s walking out of that place and going anywhere IMO
It’s still cold AF in the winter, and LeBreton is not a real solution for energizing the core.
Senators gonna be playing a lot of hockey in May and June. Winter games will be a lesser proportion of their home dates.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
People are sleeping on how accessible Preston/hintonburg/chinatown are from Lebreton. Also that places will open up in those neibourhoods if a massive tourist attraction opens up less than a kilometre away.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Meh.
LeBreton is better than Kanata but it’s not comparable to an actual downtown site.
This city has several clusters that would massively benefit from a a true downtown spot.
Elgin St through to Sparkes through the market, even include a f***ing boat or free transportation to Lansdowne from there and connect it all.

But in very ottawa fashion we will build another cluster and serve nothing, connect nothing - or rather very little.

Always wanted to take a Boat, from Landsdowne, to Elgin or Sparkes, in mid January.

1719666508402.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Always wanted to take a Boat, from Landsdowne, to Elgin or Sparkes, in mid January.

View attachment 889246

lol
That is funny, but also the building is going to be used as often as possible and that includes spring summer fall.
Sparkes Elgin Market is the commercial center of Ottawa, they are trying to convert towers into residential spaces etc.
the building could really help tie everything together

I’d rather improve our existing infrastructure and clusters than build a new one. We just don’t have the population density to create a new hub/center.
IMO it’s how you end up with a bunch of mediocre stuff rather than great things.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
lol
That is funny, but also the building is going to be used as often as possible and that includes spring summer fall.
Sparkes Elgin Market is the commercial center of Ottawa, they are trying to convert towers into residential spaces etc.
the building could really help tie everything together

I’d rather improve our existing infrastructure and clusters than build a new one. We just don’t have the population density to create a new hub/center.
IMO it’s how you end up with a bunch of mediocre stuff rather than great things.
There is literally no financially viable area in the Downtown core.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
There is literally no financially viable area in the Downtown core.

Also almost no one lives north west of Elgin and Somerset and converting office buildings into condos is about as likely as converting office buildings into a downtown arena

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Also almost no one lives north west of Elgin and Somerset and converting office buildings into condos is about as likely as converting office buildings into a downtown arena
Building an arena needs to be supported by surrounding development. Lebreton provides that opportunity.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002

It’s already happening (converting), and there is lots of discussion about do it. It’s also being done elsewhere like in Calgary.

What do you imagine will happen to those half empty towers, towers reaching end of life?
Those spaces will eventually be converted into housing of one form or another.

The city has to plan for this, and this is great opportunity to reimagine the core - will it be done? Not likely - but they should.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It’s already happening (converting), and there is lots of discussion about do it. It’s also being done elsewhere like in Calgary.

What do you imagine will happen to those half empty towers, towers reaching end of life?

The city has to plan for this, and this is great opportunity to reimagine the core - will it be done? Not likely - but they should.
Feds own most of the buildings, not the city, so maybe in 10 years they make a decision.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Feds own most of the buildings, not the city, so maybe in 10 years they make a decision.

Yeah for sure, just suggesting there are deals to be made given everyone (various levels of govt) understand the looming issue.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Building an arena needs to be supported by surrounding development. Lebreton provides that opportunity.

Agreed.

I think the federal government who is the #1 leaser of office space downtown will force us to go back 3+ times a week to justify “saving money” on the conversion. Private sector in Calgary makes more sense because they aren’t beholden to anyone but shareholders , so saving money on leases and creating loss saving from the conversion and sale of condos works easier. The city of Ottawa won’t change because they are absolutely scared shitless of any progressive city planning. I’d expect tear downs and housing between Somerset and queen in 2030s or 2040s and I want a new arena before then.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
This brief tweet says the deal with NCC wasn’t “team friendly” and that no progress has been made with the NCC.

I wonder if they are stil trying to get a larger parcel of land from the NCC which seemed to be an issue before?

I also wonder what plan B is? Maybe Andlauer sees what the city of Ottawa can offer, or just stay at the CTC in Kanata?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
This is not surprising. What billionaire on this planet is going to spend Billions to build a state of the art facility on rented land and have to conform to all NCC regulations regarding upkeep, maintenance etc......not one. This is a stupid deal being pushed on to not stupid people.
These guys want to purchase land. Period.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
So it's not a legally enforceable contract? Where's the news? NCC have no negotiation power in this. They desperately need the Sens. Sens will move to the trainyards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad