League wide fantasy draft

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Assume that all active players magically went back to being 18 year old players and were just entering the league. Knowing what we know now about their careers, how would a top 20 draft go for all active players?

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
I think this is fascinating and I’m not sure about what the order would be… only thing that I believe is the top 4 would be:

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Ovechkin
4. Malkin

Reactions: PaulD

PeteEakins

Oct 9, 2021
The Leafs would trade for the first 20 picks with their own picks for the next 20 years and would then proceed to draft the exact same roster that they have today. They would then proceed to lose in the first round every single year unless its against a heavily injured Tampa Bay Lightning. Afterwards, Maple Leafs square could be heard chanting, "We Want Florida" without understanding the repercussions.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Top 20 draft with all active players being 18

1. Crosby
2. McDavid
3. Jagr ( We never said they have to be in the NHL just active)
4. Ovechkin
5. Matthews
6. McKinnon
7. Malkin
8. Makar
9. Draisaitl
10. Karlsson
11. Stamkos
12. Kucherov
13. Patrick Kane
14. Doughty
15.Josi
16.Giroux
17. Hedman
18. Vasilevskiy
19. Barkov
20. Kopitar

HM Bedard - want more of career. Remove Jagr put Bedard in.

After the top 4 move people where ever you want. I started putting names. I'd rather have Kopitar than Giroux but you know what too lazy to switch it

Edit: spelling error

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I think this is fascinating and I’m not sure about what the order would be… only thing that I believe is the top 4 would be:

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Ovechkin
4. Malkin

Agree with top 3

#4 is debatable with Mackinnon, Makar, Matthews, Drai, Kucherov, etc. all on the board. I'd personally go with Mackinnon

Reactions: dirtydanglez

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
top 3 is pretty clear cut (1. mcdavid, 2. crosby, 3. ovechkin) after that it comes down to personal preference.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Only guy who’s close right now is Kucherov. The other guys need more games played to maybe pass him one day. They’re lacking in hardware and sheer dominance that he played with. Keep in mind that Malkin has his Hart, Conn Smythe and 2 Art Ross trophies.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Ovechkin
4. Kucherov
5. Kane
6. Draisaitl
7. Mackinnon
8. Malkin
9. Doughty
10. Hedman
11. Makar
12. Kopitar
13. Pietrangelo
14. Vasilevskiy
15. Stamkos
16. Barkov
17. Matthews
18. Rantanen
19. Pastrnak
20. One of Q. Hughes, Fox, Shesterkin, maybe some others I'm missing

Reactions: CanuckCity

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Crosby
McDavid
Ovechkin
Malkin
Kane
Draisaitl
MacKinnon
Kucherov
Doughty
Kopitar
Barkov
Stamkos
Hedman
Josi
Makar
J. Toews
Miller
Eichel
Matthews
Pastrnak

Wasn't sure where to include goalies, but honorable mention to Bob, Vasi, Quick

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You must be new around here

This thread that we are in does not mention contracts, however, the one brought up does, Not to mention that you are the only one who brought up Stutzle because you argued a few years ago with random people online?

Last edited:

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
“Knowing what we know now about their careers”

Do we assume the same injuries happen at the same points in their careers? I think one of the bigger variables here is whether this alternate history is supposed to assume that Matt Cooke always stomps on 22 year old Erik Karlsson’s Achilles , or if we can estimate his career trajectory if that doesn’t happen.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Leafs would trade for the first 20 picks with their own picks for the next 20 years and would then proceed to draft the exact same roster that they have today. They would then proceed to lose in the first round every single year unless its against a heavily injured Tampa Bay Lightning. Afterwards, Maple Leafs square could be heard chanting, "We Want Florida" without understanding the repercussions.
🤣 brilliant

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
You must be new around here

This is the second time I've seen you post this poll in the past week or so. While ignoring that it specifies contracts are included and that Stutzle was coming off a 39 goal, 90 point season while Matthews was coming off a 40 goal, 85 point season at the time.

Keep grinding that axe, I suppose.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Top 20 draft with all active players being 18

1. Crosby
2. McDavid
3. Jagr ( We never said they have to be in the NHL just active)
4. Ovechkin
5. Matthews
6. McKinnon
7. Malkin
8. Makar
9. Draisaitl
10. Karlsson
11. Stamkos
12. Kucherov
13. Patrick Kane
14. Doughty
15.Josi
16.Giroux
17. Hedman
18. Vasilevskiy
19. Barkov
20. Kopitar

HM Bedard - want more of career. Remove Jagr put Bedard in.

After the top 4 move people where ever you want. I started putting names. I'd rather have Kopitar than Giroux but you know what too lazy to switch it

Edit: spelling error
I think this is pretty close. After 10, it starts to get a little tougher because I'm not sure there's much that separates Stammer, Kane, Kuch, etc.

What's tougher for me is the Sid vs McDavid. McDavid is clearly more skilled but Sid drug the 08 and 09 Penguins to two B2B cup finals at 20/21 and got the cup at 21 as the youngest captain. Then did it twice more at 28/29. McDavid just now got to cup final at 28. Is there an extra layer to Sid, as a leader and overall player that would benefit an organization more than the superior offense numbers of McDavid?

Can't go wrong either way but I'm really back and forth on that one.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think this is pretty close. After 10, it starts to get a little tougher because I'm not sure there's much that separates Stammer, Kane, Kuch, etc.

What's tougher for me is the Sid vs McDavid. McDavid is clearly more skilled but Sid drug the 08 and 09 Penguins to two B2B cup finals at 20/21 and got the cup at 21 as the youngest captain. Then did it twice more at 28/29. McDavid just now got to cup final at 28. Is there an extra layer to Sid, as a leader and overall player that would benefit an organization more than the superior offense numbers of McDavid?

Can't go wrong either way but I'm really back and forth on that one.

I think once we see more of McDavids career and if he wins a cup. I have to think they are favorites next year.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Injuries are the big thing in my mind, do we assume the same injuries at the same time or players being generally as injury prone as their real careers. that would obviously hurt some very talented but injury prone players like Karlsson and Malkin (even Crosby) as they may not be healthy when you need them.

In turn, if we say everything is equal injury history-wise, that may hurt players whose health has been a major contributor to their careers, such as Ovechkin.

Another interesting factor no one seems to be considering is the whole league is 18, therefore players who were quickly stars in the NHL are much more valuable as they will be far better than their peers. Players who took years to even make the NHL and then took a few more years to become stars are not as valuable as those who were able to join quickly. Kucherov is a great example, once he hit his prime he has been very consistent and mostly injury free, but he did not go above a PPG until 2016/17 when he was drafted in 2011. In this scenario, your top pick would not be a star for years after the draft while others have superstars by real world standards a year or two after the draft.

My list, assuming injury history would be roughly the same in terms of games missed and when those games were missed...

1. McDavid
2. Ovechkin
3. Crosby
4. Malkin
5. Kane
6. Doughty
7. Matthews
8. Stamkos
9. Backstrom
10. Hedman
11. Kopitar
12. Tavares
13. Rantanen
14. Quinn Hughes
15. MacKinnon
16. Draisaitl
17. Makar
18. Fox
19. Pietrangelo
20. Pastrnak

I skipped doing goalies, they are very difficult to place.

Reactions: CanuckCity

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
1. Crosby (1A/1B with McDavid - he has a better reputation/won more, so he goes #1. It could easily go the other way)
2. McDavid
3. Ovechkin (winger is worth less than a center - but he's one of 3 generational stars in the NHL, and wrpas up the obvious top 3)
4. Malkin
5. Bedard (wasn't sure where to place him...this might be high, but he's definitely the #3 best prospect. So I say he goes high)
6. MacKinnon
7. Kucherov
8. Patrick Kane
9. Hedman
10. Makar
11. Doughty
12. Erik Karlsson
13. Stamkos
14. Draisaitl (probably deserves to go higher, but gets underrated)
15. Carey Price (does he still count? very confident he'd be the #1 goalie if he counts)
16. Matthews
17. Kopitar
18. Vasi
19. Tavares
20. Josi

This is incredibly hard. Feel free to knock my list all you want - after the #4 pick, I felt every pick I listed was more wrong than the previous one. I probably forget some obvious names too.

I do feel good about the top 4 though. Also feel good about Carey Price going #1 for goalies if he's eligible (technically under contract still). And Bedard definitely goes top 10, but 5 might be a bit high.

Assume that all active players magically went back to being 18 year old players and were just entering the league. Knowing what we know now about their careers, how would a top 20 draft go for all active players?

Fun thread - but I thought when I first read this post you were asking about players today - as they are. I didn't notice the 18 years old. That's probably an easier exercise than all-time.

For what it's worth - if this was today, I think the top 3 in order are McDavid, Bedard & Makar.

Reactions: PatrickMcC

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
1. Crosby (1A/1B with McDavid - he has a better reputation/won more, so he goes #1. It could easily go the other way)
2. McDavid
3. Ovechkin (winger is worth less than a center - but he's one of 3 generational stars in the NHL, and wrpas up the obvious top 3)
4. Malkin
5. Bedard (wasn't sure where to place him...this might be high, but he's definitely the #3 best prospect. So I say he goes high)
6. MacKinnon
7. Kucherov
8. Patrick Kane
9. Hedman
10. Makar
11. Doughty
12. Erik Karlsson
13. Stamkos
14. Draisaitl (probably deserves to go higher, but gets underrated)
15. Carey Price (does he still count? very confident he'd be the #1 goalie if he counts)
16. Matthews
17. Kopitar
18. Vasi
19. Tavares
20. Josi

This is incredibly hard. Feel free to knock my list all you want - after the #4 pick, I felt every pick I listed was more wrong than the previous one. I probably forget some obvious names too.

I do feel good about the top 4 though. Also feel good about Carey Price going #1 for goalies if he's eligible (technically under contract still). And Bedard definitely goes top 10, but 5 might be a bit high.

Fun thread - but I thought when I first read this post you were asking about players today - as they are. I didn't notice the 18 years old. That's probably an easier exercise than all-time.

For what it's worth - if this was today, I think the top 3 in order are McDavid, Bedard & Makar.

I'd say he is eligible, I did my list based on NHL.com list of active players and he is on there. I think he is probably the top goalie pick, but to throw another name out there... Fleury easily wins the Vezina the first two seasons, and stays as a top 10 goalie for a decade+

Reactions: bobholly39

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Do we get them with their injuries, or is it a fully fresh start that could lead to potential different outcomes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad