Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
just watched the post game Berube "not fast enough, looks like they are trying to pass the puck into the net" regarding PP

GOOD!
Absolutely.

As I've said before, the Leafs, PLAY DOWN to anything they can. To weaker opponents, to teams with less players on the ice, when they have the lead, etc.

Before Berube it was their identity.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Marner will be traded or walk by the end of this season because there is no future for him on any team that is (allegedly) has the goal of winning the Stanley Cup. He'll be in Columbus soon.

I've soured on Marner too, but the more successful he is (even if it's only one more year) the more successful the team is.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
They have the same number of goals.

My whole point is that although points in elimination games are important, they are not the only important thing, you need to score in the first few games of a series to get to 5/6/7.

It doesn't make sense to only focus on the elimination games, and it is only done for Marner.

Tavares has better production than Matthews in those games, is he the better player?
Playoffs in general, Marner has not been good. He has managed to put up some points, but when has he scored a big goal or been part of a big moment in the playoffs (in the Leafs favour).

He went two whole playoff series without a single goal.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You mentioned Gallagher? The guy is a plug ever since he signed his contract and constanly hurt. The Habs cant wait to get rid of him and Anderson and guess what? They play a heavy game.....hahaha and both are horrid defensively.

As Berube said....he doesnt want to take the sticks out of the stars hands.

I would be more worried about Domi playing on the second line than Marner in the top six

Yet he is still a very good defensive player and plays the PK. Go figure ....
Gallagher potted two goals last night, he might be past his best before date, but the efforts there every game, the same can’t be said for many a Leaf. Oh ans Anderson got a goal too……..

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Playoffs in general, Marner has not been good. He has managed to put up some points, but when has he scored a big goal or been part of a big moment in the playoffs (in the Leafs favour).

He went two whole playoff series without a single goal.

Tavares has the biggest moment out of everyone, does this make him the best?

None of Nylander's big moments led to us winning a series, same with Matthews.

Selectively applying what makes a player good is what people are doing to Marner constantly.

• Haha
Reactions: colchar

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
just watched the post game Berube "not fast enough, looks like they are trying to pass the puck into the net" regarding PP

GOOD!
Wonder how many times we've read this sentiment over the last 5 years.

Absolutely.

As I've said before, the Leafs, PLAY DOWN to anything they can. To weaker opponents, to teams with less players on the ice, when they have the lead, etc.

Before Berube it was their identity.
Pretty good way to put it.

That clip posted awhile back of Paul Maurice yelling at his team to forget about making plays and to focus on hammering the D every chance dthey get during Florida's series against the Bruins is likely going to be very similar to what Berube is going to be screaming at them in the playoffs.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I get it. We have all seen it. But unless you are proposing to replace marner with an equally talented offensive player, removing him from the lineup won't help. There is no reason to believe raantanen or McDavid or whoever are going to sign here.
Not necessarily true. For example, you could argue that Wendel Clark wasn't as good an offensive player, and certainly worse defensively, but do you think prime Clark wouldn't make this a better team?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tavares has the biggest moment out of everyone, does this make him the best?

None of Nylander's big moments led to us winning a series, same with Matthews.

Selectively applying what makes a player good is what people are doing to Marner constantly.
Took me a moment to remember it.

Yes, Tavares' big moment - a bad angle dump at the net that was going way wide until it deflected in off a defender's skate.

Selectively applying what makes a player good/bad is what people are doing to many players constantly. Marner is perhaps an extreme in the number of posters who seems to focus exclusively on either the good or the bad (or the ugly?)

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Not necessarily true. For example, you could argue that Wendel Clark wasn't as good an offensive player, and certainly worse defensively, but do you think prime Clark wouldn't make this a better team?
And prime Mario Lemieux would make this a better team, as well, but where are these guys coming from? You're now past the point where you can trade Marner for anything significant, even if he agrees to be traded, so your options are to sign him or let him walk. If you elect the latter, who is replacing him? Why is Rantanen signing here? The reality is that he won't, so what are the options? It's why there is an obvious ending to this. The Leafs will resign Marner, because they really don't have much choice. Better or worse, this generation is going to be marked by these three guys. At least two of them, and maybe all three of them, will completely re-write every team record other than career penalty minutes. Management is going to continue to make whatever changes they can around the edges to build a Cup winner around them.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
And prime Mario Lemieux would make this a better team, as well, but where are these guys coming from? You're now past the point where you can trade Marner for anything significant, even if he agrees to be traded, so your options are to sign him or let him walk. If you elect the latter, who is replacing him? Why is Rantanen signing here? The reality is that he won't, so what are the options? It's why there is an obvious ending to this. The Leafs will resign Marner, because they really don't have much choice. Better or worse, this generation is going to be marked by these three guys. At least two of them, and maybe all three of them, will completely re-write every team record other than career penalty minutes. Management is going to continue to make whatever changes they can around the edges to build a Cup winner around them.
I think you missed the point. It doesn't have to be a better offensive player or even a straight one-for-one replacement to potentially be an improvement.

I agree that a significant return in a trade is unlikely, even if he agreed to waive for it. I don't agree that signing him, especially to the amount he (reportedly) wants, is the only, or even the best, option.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Negativity is a hell of a weight to carry. This team could lose 100 years in a row. Who cares. It's a game. When a hobby causes you distress, it pretty much defeats the purpose.
Eventually we will suck in the regular season again, no time real soon but it’s the life cycle of sports. Like Chicago does now. Like we did for a decade plus off the 2005 lockout. Watching those teams at the time would affect my mood the next day. I don’t know if I just got older or it’s that the team got better, but I haven’t felt that way in a long time now.

Or the entire bloody 80’s. Far less enjoyable, like not close. The playoffs have sucked but at least it’s not 8 months of regular season utter hopelessness. They’re good. You gotta believe they break through for a playoff run at some point in this particular iteration of Leafs, it’s defying logic.

Goalies and Berube and improved D. Maybe this year right?

Ya.. it’s early and hope springs eternal. GLG.

Good game. Beast was good, nice win on b2b, we should be 2-0.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
How great would it be if some here grabbed a dose of reality and realized that the playoffs really are the only thing that matters.

Well of course they are but you can't have one without the other. Besides this is a fan forum, pretty sure everyone wants success in the playoffs. It goes without saying.
Wanting and enjoying a successful season doesn't preclude wanting the same in the playoffs.

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
Bit late watching the game but fourth line was very good and we seem to have depth in goaltending. Hopefully half Dutch Murray can contribute too in the future.

First points in the bank. Time to settle down for the season and try to enjoy it.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Gallagher potted two goals last night, he might be past his best before date, but the efforts there every game, the same can’t be said for many a Leaf. Oh ans Anderson got a goal too……..

Are you really taking a few games early this season to justify their stay? Look at the past 5 seasons and tell me again both those guys are players you want on this team with those cap hits.

Just watch….Gallagher will take another puck in practice and be out again with a injury

Anderson skates along the boards and never crosses his own blue line.

Both IMHO are bums and are living off some kind of Don Cherry brainwash and fans are convinced those are two valuable type players.

Oh wait…they are some kind of leaders in the locker room 🤣

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad