Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Out of everyone, I think Marner will have the hardest time, and it comes from my belief that Marner just isn’t very smart.

Supremely talented skill wise, but I don’t consider him an intelligent player, and his skills cover for a lot of it, but it’s still evident to me.

He still makes the dumb plays that he should have left behind in Junior more than 7 years ago.

He knows what he knows, and he’s damn good at a lot of it, but I think he’s limited with how much he can change and adapt his game, and to me it comes back to IQ not being a strength for him.

People are going to hate that take and they are welcome to, but I’ve seen enough of it over the years.

He is an elite skill talent but he’s limited by not having the requisite on ice IQ to really be all that he could be.

And he simply isn't physically capable of playing the heavier style that Berube wants.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Out of everyone, I think Marner will have the hardest time, and it comes from my belief that Marner just isn’t very smart.

Supremely talented skill wise, but I don’t consider him an intelligent player, and his skills cover for a lot of it, but it’s still evident to me.

He still makes the dumb plays that he should have left behind in Junior more than 7 years ago.

He knows what he knows, and he’s damn good at a lot of it, but I think he’s limited with how much he can change and adapt his game, and to me it comes back to IQ not being a strength for him.

People are going to hate that take and they are welcome to, but I’ve seen enough of it over the years.

He is an elite skill talent but he’s limited by not having the requisite on ice IQ to really be all that he could be.
I mentioned this earlier, but yesterday Marner was in a board battle alongside a Leafs defenseman on the PK. They managed to hold the puck against the boards and kill off a lot of the Devils power play. I was shocked because usually, Marner stays back, poking at the puck from a distance instead of engaging physically. Or he simply waited in open space like a dog waiting for a bone to be thrown out for him to pursue.

I’m willing to bet Berube told him in practice to get in there and battle for the puck.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Not everyone on a team plays the same way. Or should.
Explain.

because IMO they should all have to go to dirty areas. Nobody is above going into corners, scrums or to the front of the net, or forechecking or attempting to cycle.

Gallagher is like 5'9 185lbs and Bunting 6'186. Size isn't an excuse. They don't need to be wrecking balls like Tucker, but they can't expect to go out and play shinny, collect 11 million and have everyone else do the dangerous/dirty work. McDavid goes to dirty areas and gets into scrums, finishes hits and he is far more talented then Marner.

Last edited:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Not everyone on a team plays the same way. Or should.

No, but certain things should be done by everyone - playing hard on the puck, going to the tough places on the ice, not playing on the perimeter, winning puck battles, not looking over your shoulder going to the boards, etc. - and Marner doesn't do those things.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Explain.

because IMO they should all have to go to dirty areas. Nobody is above going into corners, scrums or to the front of the net, or forechecking or attempting to cycle.

Gallagher is like 5'9 185lbs and Bunting 6'186. Size isn't an excuse. They don't need to be wrecking balls like Tucker, but they can't expect to go out and play shinny, collect 11 million and have everyone else do the dangerous/dirty work. McDavid goes to dirty areas and gets into scrums, finishes hits and he is far more talented then Marner.
You mentioned Gallagher? The guy is a plug ever since he signed his contract and constanly hurt. The Habs cant wait to get rid of him and Anderson and guess what? They play a heavy game.....hahaha and both are horrid defensively.

As Berube said....he doesnt want to take the sticks out of the stars hands.

I would be more worried about Domi playing on the second line than Marner in the top six

No, but certain things should be done by everyone - playing hard on the puck, going to the tough places on the ice, not playing on the perimeter, winning puck battles, not looking over your shoulder going to the boards, etc. - and Marner doesn't do those things.

Yet he is still a very good defensive player and plays the PK. Go figure ....

Reactions: Evilhomer

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Conversely, most of the team can't do what Marner can do, which is produce a significant amount of offense.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I mentioned this earlier, but yesterday Marner was in a board battle alongside a Leafs defenseman on the PK. They managed to hold the puck against the boards and kill off a lot of the Devils power play. I was shocked because usually, Marner stays back, poking at the puck from a distance instead of engaging physically. Or he simply waited in open space like a dog waiting for a bone to be thrown out for him to pursue.

I’m willing to bet Berube told him in practice to get in there and battle for the puck.

No, this is normal for Marner, your hatred just blinds you.

Reactions: ACC1224

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You mentioned Gallagher? The guy is a plug ever since he signed his contract and constanly hurt. The Habs cant wait to get rid of him and Anderson and guess what? They play a heavy game.....hahaha and both are horrid defensively.

As Berube said....he doesnt want to take the sticks out of the stars hands.

I would be more worried about Domi playing on the second line than Marner in the top six

Yet he is still a very good defensive player and plays the PK. Go figure ....
uh huh... sucks in postseason. Go figure.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Conversely, most of the team can't do what Marner can do, which is produce a significant amount of offense.
Now do playoffs. Focus on elimination games.

/gulp

We are trying to win the cup, not limp into the first round.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
They must be perfectly equal players then. :sarcasm:

I know why you chose points not goals.

:popcorn:

They have the same number of goals.

My whole point is that although points in elimination games are important, they are not the only important thing, you need to score in the first few games of a series to get to 5/6/7.

It doesn't make sense to only focus on the elimination games, and it is only done for Marner.

Tavares has better production than Matthews in those games, is he the better player?

Reactions: Smif

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Sheldon Keefe was not impressed with his team's effort on Thursday, and refused to give credit to the Maple Leafs for playing well enough to win in New Jersey.​

Ahead of Sheldon Keefe taking on his former team Thursday night, he shared some kind words about the organization. Unfortunately, Keefe and the New Jersey Devils fell 4-2 to the Leafs on Thursday, which led Keefe to call out his team's poor play and discredit the Leafs' performance following the game.

As much as things change, they can also remain the same. This is something Keefe was known for during his time in Toronto, often claiming that his teams had beaten themselves. Old habits die hard, it seems.

"I don't know that they deserved to be up 3 the way that they were, but the reality is that they were," said Keefe before blasting the Devils' poor play while calling them soft.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1728677389171.png

Both Auston Matthews and William Nylander began new contracts at the start of this season -- Matthews, a 4-year pact worth $13.25M per season and Nylander, the largest contract in Maple Leafs franchise history, an 8-year agreement worth $11.5M per season. While both have had their opportunities early, they have been unable to convert, but that doesn't mean that it's time to be concerned. Both players are world class talents and elite shooters. The goals will come.

Marner, on the other hand, is entering this season without a contract extension in place. If his contract demands are as high as some believe, he could literally be playing for his job in Toronto. A less productive season could equal a much lower offer from the Leafs, which could ultimately force him to go to the open market next summer.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Now do playoffs. Focus on elimination games.

/gulp

We are trying to win the cup, not limp into the first round.
I get it. We have all seen it. But unless you are proposing to replace marner with an equally talented offensive player, removing him from the lineup won't help. There is no reason to believe raantanen or McDavid or whoever are going to sign here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad