Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I’m getting excited for this season. I think we win the division. The goaltending alone should pick us up another 10
Points from last year.

Might even save Shannys job.

That's great but it's not about the regular season at all. They have to go deep in the playoffs in order to save his job. Winning the division would certainly make it "easier" but it's not about regular season accomplishments.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
OEL needs to replace Rielly.
At a minimum.
They need to blow it up ASAP. Core guys way too comfortable doing the same old thing. It’s a waste for us, we have enough talent to have two good units.

Matthews, Nylander, Domi, Patches

Two snipers, playmaker, net guy

Marner, Tavares, Robertson, Knies

Two snipers, playmaker, net guy

Add OEL and Rielly however you please. Get the two units competing against each other for PP1.

Thats what I’d do. But I’m just some fan, what do I know lol

Last edited:

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022
IMG_3657.jpeg
IMG_3620.jpeg
IMG_3610.jpeg

IMG_3658.jpeg

Reactions: All Mod Cons

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Marner (not surprisingly) looks like the last person to get engaged with the new system. Why is it that this guy can’t just adapt and change for the team? Once again last night instead of putting the puck on net or getting it deep he wants to dance around with it. For a guy that wants a massive contract he’s not doing himself any favours to start the year.

Reactions: rumman

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Marner (not surprisingly) looks like the last person to get engaged with the new system. Why is it that this guy can’t just adapt and change for the team? Once again last night instead of putting the puck on net or getting it deep he wants to dance around with it. For a guy that wants a massive contract he’s not doing himself any favours to start the year.
Out of everyone, I think Marner will have the hardest time, and it comes from my belief that Marner just isn’t very smart.

Supremely talented skill wise, but I don’t consider him an intelligent player, and his skills cover for a lot of it, but it’s still evident to me.

He still makes the dumb plays that he should have left behind in Junior more than 7 years ago.

He knows what he knows, and he’s damn good at a lot of it, but I think he’s limited with how much he can change and adapt his game, and to me it comes back to IQ not being a strength for him.

People are going to hate that take and they are welcome to, but I’ve seen enough of it over the years.

He is an elite skill talent but he’s limited by not having the requisite on ice IQ to really be all that he could be.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It's early but the slow start by Matthews, Marner and Nylander is less than ideal. Depth is great so maybe less top end production will work out. The PP cannot be horrific for the money and talent though. We dont get many PPs already so they have to be dangerous.

I hope they adjust.
Good news is those 3 didn't forget how to play hockey, they'll bounce back. Marner especially is known for his slow starts

The powerplay is truly awful, though. If they're going to split time, you may as well split the units. We have some offensive support pieces in Knies, NRob, Patches which can make it work

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Good to get the first win of the season, and the win for Hildeby.

Refs have been garbage tonight, but that one was obvious. Spun him around right in front of the ref to gain possession. And then the slapper after the call. Not good.
I'd agree with you if Willie had actually touched the Devils player, but he didn't. Watch the replay again.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Out of everyone, I think Marner will have the hardest time, and it comes from my belief that Marner just isn’t very smart.

Supremely talented skill wise, but I don’t consider him an intelligent player, and his skills cover for a lot of it, but it’s still evident to me.

He still makes the dumb plays that he should have left behind in Junior more than 7 years ago.

He knows what he knows, and he’s damn good at a lot of it, but I think he’s limited with how much he can change and adapt his game, and to me it comes back to IQ not being a strength for him.

People are going to hate that take and they are welcome to, but I’ve seen enough of it over the years.

He is an elite skill talent but he’s limited by not having the requisite on ice IQ to really be what he could be.
He’s a pretty damn good Pk’er though, I’m not sold on him being a dumb player I just think he’s got a massive ego. His entitlement is through the roof. We’ve seen Matthews and Nylander become pretty decent 200 ft players, Marner is the only star that refuses to change. If I’m Brad I’m not extending him beyond this year. He’s shown year after year, coach after coach he couldn’t give 2 you know what about team play or the system.

Let him put up 100 points and see what he’s asking for in the summer

• Haha
Reactions: rumman and ACC1224

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
looking at some comments, I don't agree with this notion that "The point totals for core 3 should be lowered, or that even if they have X points it's fine"

Berube plays a different system, sure but guys have produced in it on St.Louis and our guys have to produce in it now. O'rielly, Tarasenko, Perron were ~75 point players in the cup year, and guys like Tarasenko, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Thomas were over a ppg in 21-22 and I'd again argue our big 3 are better than the counterparts on St louis. It wouldn't be a stretch to say our counter parts are much better offensively, so we should still expect them to produce as such.

It's nice we are winning games because of depth and goaltending, but the big guys still need to be big guys, it's only been 2 games so I'm not really worried about their production, but my expectations are still ppg+ for nylander and 95+ for Matthews and Marner at a minimum.
It all depends on what happens come postseason.

If they make a deep run, or heaven forbid make it to the finals then it won't matter whatctheur regular season point totals are.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He’s a pretty damn good Pk’er though, I’m not sold on him being a dumb player I just think he’s got a massive ego. His entitlement is through the roof. We’ve seen Matthews and Nylander become pretty decent 200 ft players, Marner is the only star that refuses to change. If I’m Brad I’m not extending him beyond this year. He’s shown year after year, coach after coach he couldn’t give 2 you know what about team play or the system.

Let him put up 100 points and see what he’s asking for in the summer

Game 1 when he stripped that puck out of midair on the PK comes to mind, great high skill defensive play. Only problem was he immediately gave the puck away when he missed his break out pass to Knies by several feet with no pressure on either player.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Needs to mix up that top six to get them going.

Domi Matthews Marner
Robertson Holmberg Nylander
Knies Tavares Lorentz
Pacioretty Kampf McMann
Reaves/Dewar/Jarnkrok

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Tanev and OEL have fit in like a glove, especially Tanev.. very calm and steady d-man. This is also probably the best d-core we have had in the Matthews era.

The top two lines have been bad though, which is less then ideal.

Reactions: rumman and kevsh

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

He is an elite skill talent but he’s limited by not having the requisite on ice IQ to really be all that he could be.
Or the intestinal fortitude to play more than a perimeter game……..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad