Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I was skeptical about the Tanev and OEL signings but they’ve totally impressed me. Especially OEL, the guy looks like he’s turned back the clock and is a number 1 dman out there. Hopefully he can keep it up.
He wont be a #1 guy for us, maybe temporarily as a fill in, but agreed that he and tanev have been solid. OEL, the way he is playing so far, is great value at 3.5m aav.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Missed the last two periods, but it was worth it!

IMG_9378.jpeg
IMG_9375.jpeg

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Anyone expecting the team to give up on Woll now and run Stolarz and Hideby are going to be disappointed.

Yeah, Woll is probably the best of the three right now, of course he has to stay healthy.

Who knows? Maybe it is a tweak and the team is being very cautious. He played the last pre-season game and practiced the day before the opener. Maybe the decisions as made to take a week and get him to 100% and not 95% to start the year? It's a tad concerning that he is not 100, but let's see and maybe we forget about this by mid-November.

Our goaltending is solid and the depth there is a strength. Murray will play games this year too. It's nice not to be terrified of an injury because we believe in the next guy too.

Not many teams can say that.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
1728653932696.png

wow.

I was playing Tennis (missed the last 2 as well).

Where have you heard this before .. Keefe outcoached ???

BT's PTO players simply too much for Sheldon to overcome.
LOL.

Before we go all in on Berube > Keefe, I'm going to need to see he makes some PP changes.

Running the same crap fest isn't working.

There is zero hustle on the Leaf's power play. OEL > Rielly on PP1. It must be tried.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Literally a must win game… imagine this place losing to Keefe and being 0-2 right now?

Hildabeast is a Maple Leaf
Indeed. Considering how many people lost their minds after losing to MTL, I can't even imagine.
Hildeby looked solid. Should earn him a few more starts down the road.
He has a calmness about him that is most impressive. Looks like a veteran goalie.
Marner is shifty and great on his edges but doesn’t have a lot of speed.
I can live with his lack of speed, but his lack of balls is incredibly frustrating.
Two great efforts to start the season.
ETA except Nylander. What’s up with him?
That penalty late in the 3rd was a major WTF moment. Berube should give him a smack and tell him if it happens again, he gets benched. Simply unacceptable.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
On the PP, When is the last time we saw a zone entry this clean?

One drop back from Rielly to Mitch, Mitch attacks the middle of the ice with tons of speed, backs off the defenders and makes a easy pass over to Kadri who has tons of room to collect the pass.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
looking at some comments, I don't agree with this notion that "The point totals for core 3 should be lowered, or that even if they have X points it's fine"

Berube plays a different system, sure but guys have produced in it on St.Louis and our guys have to produce in it now. O'rielly, Tarasenko, Perron were ~75 point players in the cup year, and guys like Tarasenko, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Thomas were over a ppg in 21-22 and I'd again argue our big 3 are better than the counterparts on St louis. It wouldn't be a stretch to say our counter parts are much better offensively, so we should still expect them to produce as such.

It's nice we are winning games because of depth and goaltending, but the big guys still need to be big guys, it's only been 2 games so I'm not really worried about their production, but my expectations are still ppg+ for nylander and 95+ for Matthews and Marner at a minimum.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Jun 27, 2005
Where??? Apparently tonight is another good potential night to see the Aurora. I was going to drive out to the countryside after the game but forgot lol
Be careful, the Aurora can be pretty fickle. We drove out to the country too early and saw very little but the cameras do pick it up. By the time we got home we looked up from the middle of the city and saw it very clearly with the naked eye and then 20 minutes later it was gone (cameras still worked). Tonight is not expected to be as good as last night. There are many sites and apps that track it. Here are some sites:

Check your app store as well.

Reactions: Roo

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's early but the slow start by Matthews, Marner and Nylander is less than ideal. Depth is great so maybe less top end production will work out. The PP cannot be horrific for the money and talent though. We dont get many PPs already so they have to be dangerous.

I hope they adjust.

Reactions: Gallagbi

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I’m getting excited for this season. I think we win the division. The goaltending alone should pick us up another 10
Points from last year.

Might even save Shannys job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad