Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
The Leafs played a great game, the way they have to play to be successful. Taney, OEL and Lorentz bring the team elements they were missing in the playoffs. Not to mention Stolarz. Great job by Treliving finding these guys.

However, Matthews Marner and particularly Nylander have to understand they’re expected to play a more responsible brand of hockey. Rielly looks slow. No wonder our PP sucks. These 4 guys are on it.
So you suggest replacing AM with Lorentz and Marner with who? Perhaps Kampf? Hmmm

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Apparently Knies put on a few pounds of muscle this off season and it's showing. The guy is a beast out there. He's still figuring out the game at this level but when he does, and he will, the sky's the limit for him.
Too bad his line mates are MIA……..

The guys who seem to be embracing Berube's system are the guys you'd most expect to, and so far they're looking pretty great. And the guys who you'd most expect to have trouble are struggling.

Unfortunately, we can't win with just our 4th line & goaltenders playing great.
Worked last night…….

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Good start to the season. But let’s pump the brakes on the likes of Lorentz and Patches etc. It's been 2 games and nobody is up to speed yet. Game 20 is the benchmark to see where this team is at.
Agreed. Lorentz was on a PTO for a reason. The bigger factor for me is the coaching staff, not the individual players.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
4th line is my favourite now, enjoy watching them play. 3rd line is great too, Nicky Bobby, Patches and universal soldier Holmberg work hard. First line is disgusting, cause marner spoils and softens anything he touches.
People like fancy hockey……me, I like hard nosed grinding hockey, and I’m already in love with the fourth line. Keep it going boys……..

Our defense looks really good outside of Timmins. Get Hakanpaa in there to replace him and we suddenly got a squad on defense
The giant Finn is still not healthy enough, put Myers in for Timmins please………

Reactions: TopCheeseShotta

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Lorentz is becoming a fan favourite. I bet he’ll be on cloud nine tomorrow night.

I hope you're right.

The difference is clear with 34 and 16 getting mins on the PK

I notice Matthews has been "pesty" these first 2 games as well

Marner ... more contact as well tonight. he's been very aggressive as the guy on the top of the umbrella. Looks like berube is using marner's speed to cause problems
Marner is shifty and great on his edges but doesn’t have a lot of speed.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The system is starting to come together, and the depth showed up.

I’m trying not to get too excited, but I like this lineup, I like the coaching staff and I am okay if the scoring is more balanced and the goals against drops heavily
Oddly enough, I thought collectively they looked better in Montreal but just couldn't convert.

They havn't really given up many chances 5v5 at all which is a nice change.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nice win, new players are looking great.
OEL is way better than I thought he was and I can see Patches(have to learn to spell his name) scoring some big goals this year, excellent pickups.

Anyone expecting the team to give up on Woll now and run Stolarz and Hideby are going to be disappointed.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
So you suggest replacing AM with Lorentz and Marner with who? Perhaps Kampf? Hmmm
Silly Billy, I’m not suggesting replacing any of those except perhaps Rielly. The players have to come to the realization they have to adjust their games. Marner and Matthews less “cute” plays and more north-south straight line hockey. Nylander needs an attitude adjustment. They’re great players nonetheless, but not playing properly right now.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Oddly enough, I thought collectively they looked better in Montreal but just couldn't convert.

Two great efforts to start the season.

ETA except Nylander. What’s up with him?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

I thought they were good both nights although I didn't watch as closely last night.
Could easily be 2-0, 3-0 after tomorrow.

Reactions: Jojalu

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Nice win, new players are looking great.
OEL is way better than I thought he was and I can see Patches(have to learn to spell his name) scoring some big goals this year, excellent pickups.

Anyone expecting the team to give up on Woll now and run Stolarz and Hideby are going to be disappointed.
I wouldn’t give up on Woll but given Woll’s propensity for injuries I would hold onto both Hildeby and Stolarz.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I wouldn’t give up on Woll but given Woll’s propensity for injuries I would hold onto both Hildeby and Stolarz.
1000%.
They are in a good spot with the goaltending now(haven't thought that in a long time)and I'm assuming Hildeby doesn't need to go through waivers?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

I think they are going to lay a beating on Pittsburgh on Saturday. That Pens team is a trainwreck defensively and in net.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Two great efforts to start the season.

ETA except Nylander. What’s up with him?
I don't think he has been horrible.

We havn't seen his explosiveness yet, but I have no idea what Berube has been trying to get him to do.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
1000%.
They are in a good spot with the goaltending now(haven't thought that in a long time)and I'm assuming Hildeby doesn't need to go through waivers?
Correct. I believe he is waiver eligible for the next 2 years which works well as Stolarz contract ends in 2 years and at that point we'll know what we have in Stolarz and Woll (moreso if he can stay healthy) and Stolarz might be asking for a big contract.

Meanwhile Hildeby can keep getting the starting load in the AHL and a handful of games in the NHL. If he dominates this year in the AHL, maybe we have to make a decision next year instead.

Reactions: ACC1224

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I think they are going to lay a beating on Pittsburgh on Saturday. That Pens team is a trainwreck defensively and in net.
Sounds like another Dubas, Spezza experiment in changing the formula for winning.
I am unsure if Mario is still involved in Pitt, but if he is HOW did he ever let them hire Dubas and company.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Agreed. Lorentz was on a PTO for a reason. The bigger factor for me is the coaching staff, not the individual players.
Lorentz had NHL offers.

It's quite clear that Patches and Lorentz were on PTO because the Leafs wanted to wait until the last minute to see how much they could sign them for and still have a deep and balanced roster. Hence signing them on the last day, include a bonus, and bring $1 under the cap. They both wanted to be here. There was a bit of that with Hakanpaa too.

It's pretty cool to think that this roster can add Hakanpaa, Dewar, Jarnkrok, Murray, Myers, Rifai and Minten this year, possibly Grebenkin too. That's aot of depth (once injuries hit) without giving up assets.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Roo

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
My thoughts through two games:
- 5v5 has looked really solid with good underlying numbers
- PK has been somewhere between OK and good, two goals against but a ton of penalties through 2 games
- PP has been downright doodoo (I'm on team 'split the units')

Reactions: Roo

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I was skeptical about the Tanev and OEL signings but they’ve totally impressed me. Especially OEL, the guy looks like he’s turned back the clock and is a number 1 dman out there. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Roo

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Yes, but luckily for them, they have super genius Dubas now in the fold, and the Yinzers shall rejoice mightily.

He will make them powerhouses again because, well, you know, numbers stuff, Soo people, and Malgin is still right there to be had.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad