Confirmed with Link: Leafs will pick 1st pick in the 2016 NHL draft! Pt.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Best things about picking Matthews at #1:

1. No stupid endless arguments about size vs. speed vs. skill
2. No more stupid Kadri/Bozak/Holland discussions (Bozak and Holland are expendable)
3. No endless arguments between now and the draft about who to pick
4. No Nylander brothers thing happening (Sedins Part Two)
5. No "Tkachuk has chemistry with Marner" discussions
6. No more "Trade For Dvorak!" crap

Well said .

I'm also looking forward to not having to read how being 160 pounds is an advantage in the new NHL . :laugh:

I'm also looking forward to this fan base moving away from pimping/making excuses for non developing prospects like Bigg-Finn-Ross since we now have a set of elite kids to look forward too .

but i'm left wondering where all the anti tank/non draft rebuild fans are , i was sure i was going to have to come in here and read how building through the draft was a long shot and the almighty Burke just needed a few more seasons to complete his accelerated re tool

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Finally I see how they do this draw.

There's 14 balls and 4 drawn. That's:

(14,4) ==> 14! / (4! x (14 - 4)!) = 14! / (4! x 10!) = (14 x 13 x 12 x 11) / (4 x 3 x 2 x 1) = 1,001

Then each team gets a corresponding number of those 1,001 combos that have been pre-determined (Leafs would have had 200 or 201 combos).

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Only thing that makes me sad about our win yesterday is that Nylander will be underrated for his whole career. I still believe that Nylander will be as good as Backstrom, so being top10 C in the league. But will play on 2nd line most of his career. We just need to work on our D prospects, since we will be close to Pittsburgh.

Malkin has played 2C all his career.......doubt any Pens fans are too sad about that.

(not comparing players, just the situation, before anyone gets their nose out of joint)

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Finally I see how they do this draw.

There's 14 balls and 4 drawn. That's:

(14,4) ==> 14! / (4! x (14 - 4)!) = 14! / (4! x 10!) = (14 x 13 x 12 x 11) / (4 x 3 x 2 x 1) = 1,001

Then each team gets a corresponding number of those 1,001 combos that have been pre-determined (Leafs would have had 200 or 201 combos).

They made one combination a re-draw automatically. To make it 1000 combinations. Leafs had 200.

I'm still in disbelief. I haven't been this excited in a long time.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I'd rather laine

And if we get mathews he is going to the ahl to learn team work

I don't follow this logic.

I mean, it's very widely believed that if he didn't miss the cutoff for last year's draft, he would have been playing in the NHL last season. Instead he dominates in a men's league in Switzerland for a year, and you expect him to go to the AHL?

Everything about him seems to indicate NHL ready.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I'd rather laine

What do you mean? He needs to learn team work because he likes to shoot?

Matthews should have been in the NHL last year, zero chance he starts in the AHL.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
We now we have the best young Swedish player, the best Canadian prospect and the best young American player who is the best prospect on the planet. Another way to look at it: We have the top players from the WJC teams of Sweden, Canada and the USA.

Quite a little United Nations we have going ...

Amazing. I expect all 3 to be on the team this season and make an immediate impact.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'd rather laine

just wondering

are you a single person with multiple accounts or multiple people with a rotating schedule to generate traffic by throwing out crap like this

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We're picking first overall, which grants us the luxury of drafting to fill a void as opposed to just taking the best talent available.

We need a number one centre far more than another offensive winger. As good as Laine is, for the Leafs, it's no contest.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I'd rather laine

I think the World Championships will determine who goes where. And I have enough faith in Hunter that he picks the best player, not the best centerman. Having said that, I hope Matthews craps all over Laine for selfish reasons, but there's just something about that Laine character though. He just excels literally everywhere he goes.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Mathews is a Lou Lam player. Short answer. Serious. All business. I was more impressed with his composure last night being reserved. He's a focussed leader.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Laine excites me more but Mathews is a stud

I think it's the 'recency bias' factor happening here. Matthews had an elite level season in a league that is just as good as the Liiga.

Matthews has just as good of a shot, he's a better skater and he's a more rounded player. Laine is obviously really good and had a great WJC's as well but let's not forget Matthews was also a beast for Team USA.

Only small thing about Matthews is that he's one of the oldest of the draft, if not the oldest. He was only 2 days off or so from being drafted in 2015. Not sure if that makes a difference though considering he still dominated a pro league.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
I still can't believe the Leafs will finally be able to land a #1C. It's been so long since Sundin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad