Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty to a PTO (official)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don’t like this move, maybe he surprises, but seems spent to me.

I rather have Patches than Reaves to be honest. So if it means Reaves gets burried in the minors I don’t mind that one bit. Patches can still score. But just needs to be healthy.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Reeves is not going to go after a guy like Marchand - that was the job of guys like Bertuzzi and Domi. Reeves is there to keep the opponent's big/tough guys in check, which I think he did fine last year, though my opinion is as anecdotal as yours on that front.

He's not the type of guy you play in the playoffs, but in the regular season, he's useful. You can also sit him against teams that don't have much of a physical presence, like the Canes.

He had a bad start for us last year, but in the 2nd half he contributed nicely. Mind you, he's 37 so he may be done as well.
I'm sorry, I strongly disagree. At that point, it was Reaves job to do something. Anything. It didn't even matter if it was against Marchand, he needed to respond. But, if he wasn't going to fight Marchand, he probably should run him. Make him pay some how. Who cares about a suspension, be a deterrent. Someone needed to go after Marchand. Maybe it didn't need to be Reaves, but someone had to. That was a complete failure by Reaves, by Keefe and by the whole team.

...and if Reaves can't go after the person who injured our player, if such opposition players know that... what is he deterring them from?

Reactions: Al14 and aingefan

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm sorry, I strongly disagree. At that point, it was Reaves job to do something. Anything. It didn't even matter if it was against Marchand, he needed to respond. Not only that, someone needed to go after Marchand. Maybe it didn't need to be Reaves, but someone had to. That was a complete failure by Reaves, by Keefe and by the whole team.

...and if Reaves can't go after the person who injured our player, if such opposition players know that... what is he deterring them from?
I think Keefe put a leash on the team. At least I hope that was the case.

Reactions: Bust, Cams and bax

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Tre loves his vets.

I'd be indifferent to this, .if the Leafs think they can milk the last bit of positive on ice impact out of the guy, and it works out, then great.

That said, the team is running out of room for bottom six guys who needs sheltering

Last edited:
Reactions: CincoHolio

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
“creating cap space via trade” for one year of patches is really dumb IMO

unless they offload Kampf and/or Jarnkrok for 1 year of patches then it’s forward thinking which is fine given they don’t F up with the extra cap space next off season

Reactions: aingefan

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Rather try the kids one-by-one.

If Cowan doesn't stick, try Grebenkin, if he doesn't stick, try Minten, if he doesn't stick try Quillan, if he doesn't stick ...

So that's about 40 games into the season, then try Grebenkin again, rinse and repeat.

They'll make the playoffs with or without Pacioretty.

In the meantime they've invested into their future rather than someone else's past.

Seconded!

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I hate this idea...how does Robertson, Mintin etc get developed when old slow, weak guys get ice time. Even Montreal didn't want him.
Let's sign Gio too. Maybe Mats could be our 3C

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm really thinking he doesn't even make the team at this point. MaxPac has nothing left in the tank at this point of his career.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Patches hasn't played a full season in 4 years. I don't expect 82 from him, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ugh...again. Only at league min.

Reactions: mmalady

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I hate this idea...how does Robertson, Mintin etc get developed when old slow, weak guys get ice time. Even Montreal didn't want him.
Let's sign Gio too. Maybe Mats could be our 3C
They need to be better than the old guys on pto in camp.
4 goals in 47 games last year

Reaves had 4 goals in 49 games
With two Achilles tears. That player is not who the leafs expect right now. By all accounts he is healthy now, which makes a big difference. Similar to OEL before signing in FLA a year ago.
Patches hasn't played a full season in 4 years. I don't expect 82 from him, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ugh...again. Only at league min.
If it’s a PTO, there is literally no risk.

Even if it’s a guaranteed deal at $900k or something you can just send him to the minors. Leafs can afford that. Low risk high reward potential for them.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Reeks of Marleau and cheddar

He won't be making 6M though.

He shot 4% last year when he's typically 10-12% or whatever. He missed pretty much a whole calendar year and obviously wasn't good with the Caps compared to his usual self -- that team whole team stunk last year. But any sort of bounce back season and the Leafs have a contributing player in the top 9. If he's injured or struggles, his cap hit is low enough and he can be buried or put on Robidas Island quickly. I just don't understand the major negative that people portray.

Last edited:
Reactions: leafsfan5 and Roo

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If he's signed for more than 1 season, I won't like it. If on a league min for 1 year what could be the harm? I see the concern, but who knows?
If we have to move someone to make room for him, that could be a cost. It could work out, I’m just not feeling it.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad