Confirmed with Link: Leafs to sign Domi to 4 year extension - 3.75M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
This move is great insurance for Tavares and Marner. If either of them leaves in the next year, Domi is sitting there in house on a dirt cheap contract and he can plug either hole.
In the last 5 seasons, He has played 357 games, scoring 66 goals. That is a 15 goal-per-82 game rate. Tavares and Marner, for all their faults, produced goals for this team. Dom is not 'great insurance' for losing the production those 2 have given you up to this point.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
In the last 5 seasons, He has played 357 games, scoring 66 goals. That is a 15 goal-per-82 game rate. Tavares and Marner, for all their faults, produced goals for this team. Dom is not 'great insurance' for losing the production those 2 have given you up to this point.
Domi makes 3.75M, not 11M.

That would provide additional cap to accumulate talent around him.

Having Domi in house also allows Toronto the ability to take their time when selecting who to bring in. If they want a better 2C or a better RW than Domi, they can wait until a good deal comes along because they have a good player in Domi to soak up those minutes while they wait for the right fit.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
It’s a solid deal. I like Domi with Mathews but I hope he improves defensively because I’m not sure how long he will be with Mathews

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Kinda interesting we are calling Domi a top 6 when he only has scored over 20 goals just one time and over 50 pts just once in his career.

I love what he adds but I think Max will be looking over his shoulder a lot to stick to be a legit top 6

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It’s a solid deal. I like Domi with Mathews but I hope he improves defensively because I’m not sure how long he will be with Mathews
One thing I can guarantee is that he will not improve defensively. He is what he is. He instantly makes any line he is on worse defensively, which is why he almost certainly won't end up on Matthews' line for any length of time barring injury (which was the only reason he ended up on the first line last season).

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
One thing I can guarantee is that he will not improve defensively. He is what he is. He instantly makes any line he is on worse defensively, which is why he almost certainly won't end up on Matthews' line for any length of time barring injury (which was the only reason he ended up on the first line last season).

Domi’s defensive shortcomings are grossly overstated

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Kinda interesting we are calling Domi a top 6 when he only has scored over 20 goals just one time and over 50 pts just once in his career.

I love what he adds but I think Max will be looking over his shoulder a lot to stick to be a legit top 6
He had 20 goals and 56 points two years ago. So twice and one very recently. Even at 47 points 3.75 is a steal of a deal. That’s 9 less than what Marner will want for 50% of the production. Value

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He had 20 goals and 56 points two years ago. So twice and one very recently. Even at 47 points 3.75 is a steal of a deal. That’s 9 less than what Marner will want for 50% of the production. Value

It’s also worth note that Domi had 4 mins less per game in icetime last year vs the previous as well as significantly less poweplay time.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
It’s also worth note that Domi had 4 mins less per game in icetime last year vs the previous as well as significantly less poweplay time.
It’s very nice how he’s versatile too. Being able to play with Matthews is a skill as is filling in at C on line 2 or 3. We will see what kind of shape old man Tavares shows up in in September.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
You get a raise, and you get a raise, and you get a raise.

All Treliving's done since getting hired is give people raises. We all know he's dying to make Marner the highest paid winger in the league again. I can't wait to see how bad he screws up the Tanev deal.

The anticipation is killing me on that one.

If Domi somehow, lol, somehow manages to score twenty goals and fifty points playing centre next year that would be great. I guess the expectation is that he replaces Tavares as 2C at some point. Only to disappoint as the 3C that he really is.

I suppose Domi got a NTC of some sort too.

Everyone else gets one it wouldn't be fair if he didn't. So hard to believe third and fourth line scrubs like Domi and Kampf have NTC's to go on top of getting a big raise. Once upon a time those things were used as incentive to help lower a player's AAV to a more team friendly deal.

Not thrown in on top of a 25% increase in salary with four year term.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
All Treliving's done since getting hired is give people raises. We all know he's dying to make Marner the highest paid winger in the league again. I can't wait to see how bad he screws up the Tanev deal.

If Tre signs Marner he’s done.

Marner isn’t getting signed.

He’s being traded, if he won’t waive, he’s dumb as rocks.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
A guy like Tavares is more honorable. These are the rules, play within them.

Domi is kind of a douche bag and will adhear to the rules when it suits him but also find ways to get the elbow up in the nose or a stick in the nuts. Seems to get guys rattled in chirping sessions instead of just skating by with his head down like JT.

You get the idea...
Maybe watching curling is a better idea for you.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
AAV isn't the worst, though the term is scary, as Domi tends to need that contract motivation.
The bigger issues are that a defensively-inept winger is the last thing we need, and we already struggled fitting him into the lineup last year.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
You get a raise, and you get a raise, and you get a raise.

The anticipation is killing me on that one.

If Domi somehow, lol, somehow manages to score twenty goals and fifty points playing centre next year that would be great. I guess the expectation is that he replaces Tavares as 2C at some point. Only to disappoint as the 3C that he really is.

I suppose Domi got a NTC of some sort too.

Everyone else gets one it wouldn't be fair if he didn't. So hard to believe third and fourth line scrubs like Domi and Kampf have NTC's to go on top of getting a big raise. Once upon a time those things were used as incentive to help lower a player's AAV to a more team friendly deal.

Not thrown in on top of a 25% increase in salary with four year term.
No one wants to admit it but treliving sucks

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
AAV isn't the worst, though the term is scary, as Domi tends to need that contract motivation.
The bigger issues are that a defensively-inept winger is the last thing we need, and we already struggled fitting him into the lineup last year.

AAV is great, term is also good and not scary at all. His lack of defense is also massively overstated.

You are looking for problems here

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
AAV is great, term is also good and not scary at all. His lack of defense is also massively overstated.
Term isn't bad so much as the consistency issues he has makes me concerned. His lack of defense is not overstated though. It is a serious problem, and we saw that first hand.
We could do worse, but he's also not what we needed, and he basically forces our best goal scorer to be separated from our best playmaker outside of the PP for the next 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad