Leafs' three-headed monster on fire

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
1) They have way more than we have available to us.

2) You obviously aren't even close to understanding what kind of stats are out there... or maybe you just can't understand them

3) Almost every person who uses more advanced stats as an evaluation method would tell you that it takes more than stats to evaluate a player.

1-2) how can anyone understand a stat that they don't have available to them ?

3) the stats keep evolving so how do i know todays stats are any move useful than the previous ones when none of us know whether they have been proven effective ?

Dubas and his team haven't been on the job long enough for us to know if the data they're gathering is useful and probably the only way we'll ever know (since they probably won't ever release there work) is if they're still employed by the team 3 plus years from now .

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
1-2) how can anyone understand a stat that they don't have available to them ?

3) the stats keep evolving so how do i know todays stats are any move useful than the previous ones when none of us know whether they have been proven effective ?

Dubas and his team haven't been on the job long enough for us to know if the data they're gathering is useful and probably the only way we'll ever know (since they probably won't ever release there work) is if they're still employed by the team 3 plus years from now .

Sorry, part of that was me assuming you are only basing this off of things like Corsi etc.. There are a lot of in depth information that can be found on twitter pages like Stephen Burtch's.

It doesn't take 3-5 years to figure out if they are effective. You can see them today with the Leafs and you can see them today with other teams around the league. We have the ability to go back and monitor how other teams have performed and use them to test the hypothesis' they have.

A ton of information has been collected, people can put it together and test it asap. Its not like it all started fresh when Dubas was hired. He also likely has brought in some of his own ideas that he was worked on in junior too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The pro scouts do the scouting and recommend players to the GM , Dubas has also said he doesn't believe in the eye test because your eyes lie , which pretty much means he doesn't see any value in scouting players .

That is blatantly false. He says you need to be aware of cognitive bias, and that to rely on the eye test alone isn't enough. He never said anything remotely close to saying that scouting players is irrelevant.

But to your original question of what has he done - aside from running one of the most successful AHL eams, he oversees the Leafs analytics department - which helps to inform the decision making process of the team - which as impacted both the pro and amateurs scouting.

So sure, it can be difficult to point to what exactly has he done - but I'd argue it's pretty hard to seperate with the Leafs current management team who has specifically done what. You could say the same for Lou, or even Hunter too (ie the Leafs draft selections are likely also guided by statistical analysis as well as the eye test).

Kearsley21

Jan 23, 2012
Michigan
can anyone tell me specifically what everyone does Shanny, Lou Dubas Hunter who did what with trades and picks and what say Babcock has ?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Simmons has made a life on writing but when it's all said and done, he will been known as an overachieving weasel.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
lets ignore the fact they were trying to trade Kessel and Phaneuf by the t/d and couldn't get an acceptable deal for either

let's also ignore the fact Shanny said many times he was looking for a person who fit into his ideal of running the team more by committee than to bring in an experienced GM to take over

That's not what he said or ever implied. He stated he would wait until he found the right fit regardless of how long it took & that he was looking for a GM with NHL experience.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Sorry, part of that was me assuming you are only basing this off of things like Corsi etc.. There are a lot of in depth information that can be found on twitter pages like Stephen Burtch's.

It doesn't take 3-5 years to figure out if they are effective. You can see them today with the Leafs and you can see them today with other teams around the league. We have the ability to go back and monitor how other teams have performed and use them to test the hypothesis' they have.

A ton of information has been collected, people can put it together and test it asap. Its not like it all started fresh when Dubas was hired. He also likely has brought in some of his own ideas that he was worked on in junior too.

Babs/Det built/coached puck possession teams long before these so called possession stats were around so why should i give credit for Babs coaching to our stats guys ? I have no idea what stats teams value or don't but in our case the stats guys haven't been around long enough to gauge whether they've been effective at there job or not imo .

That is blatantly false. He says you need to be aware of cognitive bias, and that to rely on the eye test alone isn't enough. He never said anything remotely close to saying that scouting players is irrelevant.

But to your original question of what has he done - aside from running one of the most successful AHL eams, he oversees the Leafs analytics department - which helps to inform the decision making process of the team - which as impacted both the pro and amateurs scouting.

So sure, it can be difficult to point to what exactly has he done - but I'd argue it's pretty hard to seperate with the Leafs current management team who has specifically done what. You could say the same for Lou, or even Hunter too (ie the Leafs draft selections are likely also guided by statistical analysis as well as the eye test).

Again Dubas wasn't even around when most of these guys were even acquired so stop acting like he built this team overnight and has full control over the roster . Also if we graduate a large number of players and the team plummets in the standings are you going to say he's to blame for the teams performance ?

It's difficult to know exactly who was behind every decision but this i do know

Shanny - is at the top of the food chain and over sees operations but it seems he doesn't micromanage any aspect of operations and is there mainly to make sure the ship is pointed in the right direction

LL - he said he was hired to run hockey club and there's no reason believe otherwise , sure he gets input from his underlings but at the end of the day he has the final say

Hunter - built/runs the scouting dept and LL/Shanny have both come out and said as much and while i'm sure he gets information from the stats guys which he may or may not use he isn't "guided" by them which infers they're dictating who and who not to draft . His performance will be easy to gauge in the coming years .

Babs - no explanation needed

Dubas - Ass't GM Head of stats department and gm of Marlies , his performance is the most difficult to gauge as well as his influence in the decision making process . He may or may not have much influence and maybe the only way to evaluate his impact on the club is if he takes over from LL down the road .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That's not what he said or ever implied. He stated he would wait until he found the right fit regardless of how long it took & that he was looking for a GM with NHL experience.

yes it was and i could probably post threads and articles if i could be bothered but i can't since it would just be ignored like my other point that refuted your previous position

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
yes it was and i could probably post threads and articles if i could be bothered but i can't since it would just be ignored like my other point that refuted your previous position

Almost every poster here is refuting your claims or your understanding of what individuals have said, but we are all wrong & you are right.

Fill your boots.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Forget about 5, if 2-3 work out, we're in great shape. Tamasov looks fantastic for a 5th round pick. It's unbelievable with his raw talent he was still available.,

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Simmonds is basically saying so far so good. And he's not wrong.

Lots of positives ever since Shanny took over. Thank you Tim Leiweke.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Simmonds is basically saying so far so good. And he's not wrong.

Lots of positives ever since Shanny took over. Thank you Tim Leiweke.

Yeah and the Leafs never get that from the media so it's fine.
You travel to every other Canadian city and it's a joke how much the media sucks-up to the team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Think people are reading too much into everything Shanny and company said. They make comments here and there. The thing is as long as their long term goals does not change, I could careless if they make adjustments here and there. In life, there is nothing as a perfect plan. Maybe today Shanny will come out and say Leafs is still far off....what if by Xmas, the Leafs are like the Golden State Warriors having the best record in the league and Willie just lights up the league like Mario. Thus, Shanny trade youth for exp....does that mean Shanny is going against his words?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Babs/Det built/coached puck possession teams long before these so called possession stats were around so why should i give credit for Babs coaching to our stats guys ? I have no idea what stats teams value or don't but in our case the stats guys haven't been around long enough to gauge whether they've been effective at there job or not imo .

Again Dubas wasn't even around when most of these guys were even acquired so stop acting like he built this team overnight and has full control over the roster . Also if we graduate a large number of players and the team plummets in the standings are you going to say he's to blame for the teams performance ?

It's difficult to know exactly who was behind every decision but this i do know

Shanny - is at the top of the food chain and over sees operations but it seems he doesn't micromanage any aspect of operations and is there mainly to make sure the ship is pointed in the right direction

LL - he said he was hired to run hockey club and there's no reason believe otherwise , sure he gets input from his underlings but at the end of the day he has the final say

Hunter - built/runs the scouting dept and LL/Shanny have both come out and said as much and while i'm sure he gets information from the stats guys which he may or may not use he isn't "guided" by them which infers they're dictating who and who not to draft . His performance will be easy to gauge in the coming years .

Babs - no explanation needed

Dubas - Ass't GM Head of stats department and gm of Marlies , his performance is the most difficult to gauge as well as his influence in the decision making process . He may or may not have much influence and maybe the only way to evaluate his impact on the club is if he takes over from LL down the road .

I just think you're being overly critical of Dubas. Because at present have zero evidence to suggest his voice isn't influencing the direction of the organization.

People are quick to praise Lou/Hunter, but fact is, we have largely no idea how decisions are being made with the Leafs these days.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Almost every poster here is refuting your claims or your understanding of what individuals have said, but we are all wrong & you are right.

Fill your boots.

-the majority use to tell me we won the Kessel trade

-the majority use to tell me Burke's accelerated retool would be a success

-the majority believed Babs was serious when he was pimping Dion up until the second he was dealt

I'm too old to get bullied into agreeing with the majority who have to defend the sacred cows of this team endlessly .

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
-the majority use to tell me we won the Kessel trade

-the majority use to tell me Burke's accelerated retool would be a success

-the majority believed Babs was serious when he was pimping Dion up until the second he was dealt

I'm too old to get bullied into agreeing with the majority who have to defend the sacred cows of this team endlessly .

- We did win the Kessel trade, some people are just a little slow in realizing it.

- All the Burke fans heads must have blown up because they don't seem to exist anymore (well there might be a few)

- Babs was serious, Phaneuf is a good person, well liked by the team, coaches & management. He's a good 2nd pairing & he ate up tonnes of icetime, at his cost & term though we had better options.

P.S. Your not the only old cow in the field.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I just think you're being overly critical of Dubas. Because at present have zero evidence to suggest his voice isn't influencing the direction of the organization.

People are quick to praise Lou/Hunter, but fact is, we have largely no idea how decisions are being made with the Leafs these days.

I'm not being critical of Dubas, i'm just saying his influence is very hard to gauge and since it's hard to gauge it'll take time to evaluate his performance .

LL's deadline moves were good overall and deserves to be praised . I'm not praising Hunter i'm saying he runs the draft which the men in charge have said and while i'm optimistic in his picks i haven't been praising them like many have since i believe it way to early to do that .

- We did win the Kessel trade, some people are just a little slow in realizing it.

- All the Burke fans heads must have blown up because they don't seem to exist anymore (well there might be a few)

- Babs was serious, Phaneuf is a good person, well liked by the team, coaches & management. He's a good 2nd pairing & he ate up tonnes of ice time, at his cost & term though we had better options.

P.S. Your not the only old cow in the field.

I meant the trade to acquire him from Boston , i should have been more clear . It was all sunshine and rainbows as well as mystery box jokes back then up until the harsh boot of reality came crashing into there jewels and they realized we grossly overpaid to get him.

My point wasn't whether he was liked or not but that the majority believed Babs wanted him here long term to mentor and guide the kids coming up .

As a fellow old cow i couldn't give a damn who runs the team as long as they're successful doing it and when they are i'll be the first to praise them but up until then i'll save my praise until they've accomplished something . This being said , it is a process to building a team and so far our new mgmt does deserve praise in work they've done so far even if it's still in the early stages .

My only concern is if we start hopping teams , then i will be less than thrilled at there decision to keep all the kids up .

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Think people are reading too much into everything Shanny and company said. They make comments here and there. The thing is as long as their long term goals does not change, I could careless if they make adjustments here and there. In life, there is nothing as a perfect plan. Maybe today Shanny will come out and say Leafs is still far off....what if by Xmas, the Leafs are like the Golden State Warriors having the best record in the league and Willie just lights up the league like Mario. Thus, Shanny trade youth for exp....does that mean Shanny is going against his words?

i am seriously confused.

what you said has nothing to do with the article or what's being discussed.
though i don't think they'd do what you said anyway.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
And this proper direction can all be blown to bits if someone orders them to expedite it in the off-season. Say it can't happen? Ferguson couldn't even initiate a rebuild. Burke came in during one yet made that infamous trade followed by several other "win now" moves. Lou was pressured to re-sign Kovalchuk in New Jersey. These things can happen. Shanahan can recommend actions to his bosses but that doesn't mean they'll continue to agree to them. This late season tease although great may have thoughts of 2017 playoff revenues dancing in the heads of the MLSE board. My fingers are crossed that the board will allow the professionals continue this promising new direction.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Dubas was the best young mind in hockey when the Leafs snatched him. Fantastic move.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The pro scouts do the scouting and recommend players to the GM , Dubas has also said he doesn't believe in the eye test because your eyes lie , which pretty much means he doesn't see any value in scouting players .

lol that seems like a bit of a stretch. You think he doesn't see any value whatsoever in his scouts? Maybe he meant he thinks YOUR eyes lie, or media people's eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad