Post-Game Talk: Leafs Stomp Tampa Bay 5-2 (Really 6-2)

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I caught more of this game then others

I thought we looked quicker and at a higher pace than previous years. It led to some big chances against, but created some opportunities for us as well. It's a shift we saw last year (even before then, but last year was noticeably different) in being more of a rush/counter team

I like it and think we'll settle in with fewer breakdowns as the team gets more comfortable.

Top 2 lines looked great, thought the foot speed on our bottom pair was noticeable, but it's nice to have Timmins vision if nothing else. Stolarz looked solid. Special teams need to improve, but it's tough to see the PP continuing at this rate

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Deserved, really. No attempt at all to play the puck and Guentzel didn't touch it either. I'm fine with this, though 5K being the max is a bit comical, like that matters to any player in this league.

Consistency is ridiculous though. You gotta start nabbing everyone for their dangerous plays, not every once in a while or only if they aren't a big superstar (though that didn't seem to help Auston at all with his crosscheck).

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Berube Hockey has been so refreshing. Win or loss, I really feel like we get an effort that the boys can be proud of. I know the NYR game didn't go our way on Saturday, but it was a loss I could tolerate for the most part. Some bad puck luck, and bad mistakes, but overall still a good effort against a top opponent.

And then to bounce back after a tough loss like that with arguably one of our best games in years. Hard to put it into words.

Still very early, but this team feels like the the COVID-19 north division level dominant IMO. The only difference is I think this team plays a far more sustainable brand of hockey, and they are not playing only 6 teams in the NHL. This is a brand of hockey I could only dream of the Leafs being able to play. Dominating 5v5 minutes, heavy on pucks, and overall just wanting it more than our opponents.

You cannot game plan around those principles. If we want it more than our opponent, we stand a very very good chance of winning against any team, any night.

Side note, OEL being prime Phoenix Coyote OEL was not something I was expecting. He might be our best defenseman lol. And if it's not him, its Tanev. I was not overly happy with Tre's offseason in the summer, but early results are showing he's hit on every single add/subtraction. Lorentz has been excellent. Stolarz has been our MVP and looks like a legit #1. Letting Bert, Edmundson, Sammy, Gregor, and Brodie walk all seem like the right call. And then obviously bringing in chief in place of Keefe.

Still a very long way to go, but I am loving what I am seeing 6 games into this season.

Reactions: myleafs

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Hahahahaha called it

1729622776314.png

Every f***ing time the opposing team goes full on goon mode against the Leafs it's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS a Leafs player who somehow comes out punished from it. This league is so f***ing beyond terrible it's not even funny. It's like the league just goes out their way to send a message to Toronto that they can't fight back or it's them who will be punished, never the other team.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Berube Hockey has been so refreshing. Win or loss, I really feel like we get an effort that the boys can be proud of. I know the NYR game didn't go our way on Saturday, but it was a loss I could tolerate for the most part. Some bad puck luck, and bad mistakes, but overall still a good effort against a top opponent.

And then to bounce back after a tough loss like that with arguably one of our best games in years. Hard to put it into words.

Still very early, but this team feels like the the COVID-19 north division level dominant IMO. The only difference is I think this team plays a far more sustainable brand of hockey, and they are not playing only 6 teams in the NHL. This is a brand of hockey I could only dream of the Leafs being able to play. Dominating 5v5 minutes, heavy on pucks, and overall just wanting it more than our opponents.

You cannot game plan around those principles. If we want it more than our opponent, we stand a very very good chance of winning against any team, any night.

Side note, OEL being prime Phoenix Coyote OEL was not something I was expecting. He might be our best defenseman lol. And if it's not him, its Tanev. I was not overly happy with Tre's offseason in the summer, but early results are showing he's hit on every single add/subtraction. Lorentz has been excellent. Stolarz has been our MVP and looks like a legit #1. Letting Bert, Edmundson, Sammy, Gregor, and Brodie walk all seem like the right call. And then obviously bringing in chief in place of Keefe.

Still a very long way to go, but I am loving what I am seeing 6 games into this season.

This team feels like nothing like the Covid 19 team or any other previous leafs team. With previous teams we won games but never really know why or how. We would have stretches were we were totally hemmed in, doing circles and totally rely on talent to bail us out

With this team, it's forecheck and hard work. That's the hallmark of this team so far. Very effort driven, very blue collar hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad