Post-Game Talk: Leafs Stomp Tampa Bay 5-2 (Really 6-2)

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
By far the best we've looked all year, I think. Stolarz is looking like BT's best signing so far (no disrespect to Tanev's play), he's just solid and that outlet pass on the powerplay... it's the best powerplay zone entry we've seen in years!

Reactions: Dough72

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Good and fun win, and it's been pretty hilarious to see people pretend like things we've always done are so different and better now. :laugh:
Stolarz has been great. He's going to cool off, and I'm a bit worried about the issues he's masking, but enjoying it for now. Hope Woll is good to go tonight.
Holmberg was robbed. That EN goal being called off was ridiculous, as was the two minute 5 on 3.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
so they said the leafs couldn't review/challenge the ref's call on the 6th goal because it was called off for a hand-pass. Does this rule apply in the playoffs as well? Or will the league look at it and over-turn it?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
so they said the leafs couldn't review/challenge the ref's call on the 6th goal because it was called off for a hand-pass. Does this rule apply in the playoffs as well? Or will the league look at it and over-turn it?
The play was blown dead on the hand pass so the goal never existed.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Good and fun win, and it's been pretty hilarious to see people pretend like things we've always done are so different and better now. :laugh:
Stolarz has been great. He's going to cool off, and I'm a bit worried about the issues he's masking, but enjoying it for now. Hope Woll is good to go tonight.
Holmberg was robbed. That EN goal being called off was ridiculous, as was the two minute 5 on 3.

The laugh at the end of that first statement was the troll part right? The team is playing nothing like they have in the past. Dubas and Keefe were frauds and inept.

Sort it out

Zacman

Dec 14, 2009
Woll is gonna have a hard time getting his spot back from Stolarz.

Stolarz has done a good enough job so far he deserves to remain starter. OEL and Tanev have been alright too. For the most part the offseason additions haven't been horrible I guess.

Which is about all you can expect from depth additions like these.

Knies is my new favourite Leafs player. Not only has his play improved this year he's also not a spineless wimp. Don't see him crying in the penalty box.

Hard to believe Sundin's only fifty three.

A much older Messier looked younger and in better shape. I'm fatter and balder than both. That's the difference between playing the game and sitting on your ass watching from home.

Same for Woll if he doesn't come back soon.
'haven't been horrible?'
Learn to enjoy things, this is an objectively ridiculous take.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Then he would move from #5 to #6

would love to see Benoit - Hakanpaa at some point. Puck moving will be an issue, but it could be fun to watch.
I still think they’re a long way from Cup contention so I just want to see them play hard and see where they fall.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Yeah that's just false.

This was written in preseason and even then it was noticeable what the changes were.

Reactions: weems

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
The undeniable truth that everyone's starting to accept is that this is a good hockey team.

The uncomfortable truth that no one wants to accept is that this was a good hockey team in previous years, too. It's just that good hockey teams loose early in the playoffs all the time. They didn't need a complete overhaul or to remove some fictitious cancer or attitude from the room. Small coaching adjustments, stable goaltending, and some improved blueline personnel might just be the difference.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Benoit 3rd in D ice time again.
thought he really battled tonight in the best way. tough luck on the first goal and Timmins had a really rough night I thought. Benoit can carry a D pairing some nights, it's wild

The undeniable truth that everyone's starting to accept is that this is a good hockey team.

The uncomfortable truth that no one wants to accept is that this was a good hockey team in previous years, too. It's just that good hockey teams loose early in the playoffs all the time. They didn't need a complete overhaul or to remove some fictitious cancer or attitude from the room. Small coaching adjustments, stable goaltending, and some improved blueline personnel might just be the difference.
agreed and some patience with the young players has paid off. Knies, McMann, even Timmins. and Robertson was a gd beast last night. I have always been a believer in this group and whatever I understand it has been easy to mock that position but even I have found it pretty jarring to see how good they've looked so far.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
thought he really battled tonight in the best way. tough luck on the first goal and Timmins had a really rough night I thought. Benoit can carry a D pairing some nights, it's wild

Benoit surprises me quite often. I don't expect to notice or like his game as much as I do. He's not just standing there being big, like Hal Gill used to do. He's smart and simple, and doesn't get burnt by speedy forwards too often like you'd think we would. It's almost confusing how steady he is most games.

Reactions: weems

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
'haven't been horrible?'
Learn to enjoy things, this is an objectively ridiculous take.

Are you trying to tell me they have been horrible?

Stolarz and OEL are doing well if unspectacular. Tanev is treading water being supported by his teammates and his on-ice rel to teammates stats supports that. They've all lived up to their paycheque and are off to a good start and I've already said that.

Hyperbole is a two way street, so if you want to pump their tires a little during this hot streak go right ahead, but let's not pretend that at their age any of these guys are having anything more than a bit of a resurgence in their game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad