Post-Game Talk: Leafs Stomp Tampa Bay 5-2 (Really 6-2)

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Great win, but I dont think this game was nearly as dominate as people are saying (outside the first 15 mins of the 3rd). Multiple people were saying that was our most dominate game in a long time and/or we never had a game as dominant in the Keefe era and I think some people have very short memories... I mean, we had a game just last year against STL where we held them to only 15 shots.

We played great and that effort probably results in a win 8/10 times, but Stolarz made quite a few big saves and Vasi let in 4g on 14 shots... the scoreline is definitely a bit flattering.

I think Berube might be just what this group needed, but our issues have always been longterm consistency and not the inability to thoroughly dominate a team if our players showed up. The real question is if Berube can help this team figure out how to score and win in the playoffs (I like what I see so far). Until then, I will hope for more consistency throughout the reg season and potentially winning the division to secure an easier first round matchup.

Glad Stolarz has been playing lights out and our goaltending has been much better than it was at the start of last year when Samsonov was playing like an ECHL goalie. I'm really excited once Woll is back too for what looks like a fantastic tandem.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
loving the aggressiveness they are playing with.

on a side note the amazon broadcast was great; they didn't drown out the crowd like sportsnet does and it didn't sound like a library because when youre there in person it doesnt actually sound like a library

The quality was great, no issues at all. They had energy and felt a bit more youthful. Sportsnet slogging Sam Cosentino, Kyper, etc... or HNIC with their boring broadcast...

It was nice.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
One of the most complete and satisfying games I’ve seen this team play, in this era.

Hats off to the team, everyone played incredible.

If they can hone this style of play, they’re contenders.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
You can’t underestimate what confidence it gives a team when they know their goaltending isn’t letting in weak goals. I think he’s the 1A right now and moving forward.
This cannot be said enough.

Stolarz has been beyond expectations, and he was who I wanted to be signed.

I don’t see him giving up the net any time soon.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
hope they get Tampa in round one for the Rubber match. Although Even if they dont, Leafs win the double playoff series 7-6.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You can’t underestimate what confidence it gives a team when they know their goaltending isn’t letting in weak goals. I think he’s the 1A right now and moving forward.

It's definitely a huge confidence booster. But I hope people don't take a crap on Stolarz when he regresses a bit because he won't sustain .940% and 1.8GAA. This is where we hope Woll can give them quality goaltending as well.

Reactions: ACC1224

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'd like to see the xGF and xGA 5-on-5. Must have been heavily in our favour?
TBL was actually favored in xGF and high danger chances. While we played well, the play of the two goalies made us look better than we were.

Sorry for the poor format, but Tampa is on the left and Toronto on the right.

Corsi
4245.2%
54.8%
Fenwick
2741.5%
58.5%
Shots
2048.8%
51.2%
Scoring Chances
2348.9%
51.1%
High Danger Chances
1052.6%
47.4%
Expected Goals
2.2751.6%
48.4%

Reactions: wingman75

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Yeah, does anyone think Vezina?

Hopefully realistic expectations.

I'd be more happy with a Jennings and I think it's slightly more attainable solely because I expect Woll and Stolarz to both play close to 40 games and in order to win the Vezina without playing 55+ games you have to be well ahead in all goalie stats.

I'm not expecting either and not getting ahead of myself because it's only 6 games in, but once we signed Stolarz I was hoping for a 2 headed monster like 2022-23 Ullmark and Swayman.

Reactions: ACC1224

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
TBL was actually favored in xGF and high danger chances. While we played well, the play of the two goalies made us look better than we were.

Sorry for the poor format, but Tampa is on the left and Toronto on the right.

Corsi
4245.2%
54.8%
Fenwick
2741.5%
58.5%
Shots
2048.8%
51.2%
Scoring Chances
2348.9%
51.1%
High Danger Chances
1052.6%
47.4%
Expected Goals
2.2751.6%
48.4%
The 2 minute 5 on 3 probably skews some of these numbers I would imagine. We controlled the game at 5v5 pretty much all night. We did take to many penalties along with the refs being...well NHL refs. I think the best sign was how they came out and just grinded the life out of Tampa in the 3rd though.

Anyone with knies gif? The one he made the move center ice on Kucherov ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad