Confirmed with Link: Leafs signed Ron Hainsey to a 2 year deal $6 mil ($3 mil AAV)

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Like many, would have preferred Hunwick back.... but lets compare the AAV's. Wouldnt be surprised if Hainsey came cheaper.

Also, its a lot easier to demote or bench Hainsey if Dermott proves to be healthy.

On a side note.... if we truly arent naming a Captain, it paves the way for Matthews to be given an 'A'

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
Crap organization can't seem to attract anyone! They have 2 years before they need to sign the so called big three and they sit on their ass and do nothing. Austin Matthews will be gone in two years!!

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Didn't have to be a priority but oh well. Hope it's around $2M max. I like the term though, compared to what will get thrown about in 9 minutes.

Hunwick to PIT?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Hunwick is getting 3 years from the Pens. WTF?

Huge upgrade by the Leafs.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Outside of a couple good games in the playoffs he was absolutely terrible.

2 years for that bum is hilarious.

Leafs gonna leafs forever I guess.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Crap organization can't seem to attract anyone! They have 2 years before they need to sign the so called big three and they sit on their ass and do nothing. Austin Matthews will be gone in two years!!

Are you kidding? They've been the best run organization the past 2 years.

Relaxe. This "2 Year Window" stuff is nonsense.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Hainsey isn't that good and is old.

This is perfect. A short 2 year deal stop-gap with no cap issues for the future.

I hope there's no surprises for us today and we keep these 2-year deals with cheaper players. With a little improvement we'll be pretty safe to make the playoffs and give time to our core to develop.

Do people not understand that maybe we actually arent trying that hard to grab any higher salaried players? I'd be furious if we were tossing contract offers at anyone over 2 years this year IMO.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Year after year signing overpriced UFAs come back to haunt teams, yet Leaf fans still want that today.

That's not how you win today kids.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
He is better than Hunwick, even if it is not by much. It is still improvement.

Management has shown that if rookies are good enough to play and outplay the veterans, they will replace the veterans. We need NHL players, not young players who burn out after the first 20 games.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If the contract is cheap... I think I'll like this.

In my opinion, we need to spend to the cap this year and next year by signing some 1 and 2 year contracts. So as long as we can fit this guy into our two year plan... I think it's fine. I would rather sign him than have wasted cap space. Even if he's just a #7 defenceman, it's better than having un-used cap space.

I had actually speculated a while back that we would be signing a bunch of vets for 2 year contracts, because they are the only UFAs who are looking for short term deals. So if you want to sign a UFA to a 2 year contract, you've gotta be looking at guys 35+.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Year after year signing overpriced UFAs come back to haunt teams, yet Leaf fans still want that today.

That's not how you win today kids.

And year after year useful parts of winning teams get added in free agency.

Blanket statements don't work in free agency. You analyze everything on its own merit or the discussion is pointless.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
love that leaf fans suddenly love hunwick.

Hainsey is a nice add for only a 2yr committment. Legit 20+mpg top4 type, not an exclusively bottom pair type like Hunwick and polak. comfortable on the right side too.

very nice fit, and a clear upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad