Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty to a PTO (official)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Max Pacioretty wants to work in management, he’s been vocal and open about that. Pacioretty will have a similar role, help bridge the gap between players and management.
Do you think he'll maneuver himself into a position of power GM/Pres and bring in his good ol' buddy PK to handle the coaching duties. He's good at that sort of thing.😏

The look on PKs face when Max walked into the room and was announced as the new captain was priceless especially as just 3 days before Subban had made his 10m donation to Montreals Children's hospital.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I was thinking that Mitch/Paul wanted Auston to be the captain and so now, it is so. Good or bad it will always be Mitchs' fault, because it's just the way it is.
It was Shanahan’s idea plain and simple, easier to dump JT if it comes to that, Cherios nailed it, guys a politician……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I know

I'm just fooling around, lot of peeps like blaming Mitch for everything without any basis in fact, so I was just seeing what that felt like.🤭
As much as I want Marner traded, he’s not the only core member who has playoff warts, plenty of blame to go around. Him and JT are just the easiest pieces to move imo……..

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think the general consensus was that he was bad in Washington.

Also, pretty much every goal in this highlight is based strictly on his shot, he gets a pass and shoots.

Not a bad thing, but looks like he relies on others.

Not sure this is the case though, just what I noticed from the clip.

Robertson was scoring at a 20 goal pace with worse players, give the kids a look.
They are

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
He is in his late 30s after a couple of surgeries. Lower your expectations.
What expectations? He can shoot the puck and score. I didn't know surgeries took that ability away from people, especially when I believe a majority of his injuries were lower body injuries. Now he finally gets a full off season to train for the 1st time in a while and we're upset we're gonna sign him cheap to a 1 year deal to compete for a spot on this roster and think he won't be able to score unless he gets PP1 time?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
They are what? Giving the kids a look?

How many forward spots are open if Pacioretty has been guaranteed one?

I think currently it is 0 unless Reaves is sent down, and that spot would be given to Pacioretty.
They brought in 1 guy to compete for their minutes and that's it. Lorentz isn't stealing minutes from anyone unless it's on the 4th line. If you don't think they are being given a look when they've only signed Patches to compete with them then idk what to tell you. Robertson scores goals but also does a lot of questionable things on the ice so why would they just pencil him in and not make him earn his spot? you got what as the lines atm potentially:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Patches/McMann
Robertson-Tavares-Patches/McMann
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves/Jarnkrok

1 of Kampf or Jarnkrok could still be moved and I'd guess that'd be Jarnkrok considering I think Kampf is a C who can PK and Jarnkrok hasn't really impressed here during the playoffs to help with depth scoring.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
They brought in 1 guy to compete for their minutes and that's it. Lorentz isn't stealing minutes from anyone unless it's on the 4th line. If you don't think they are being given a look when they've only signed Patches to compete with them then idk what to tell you. Robertson scores goals but also does a lot of questionable things on the ice so why would they just pencil him in and not make him earn his spot? you got what as the lines atm potentially:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Patches/McMann
Robertson-Tavares-Patches/McMann
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves/Jarnkrok

1 of Kampf or Jarnkrok could still be moved and I'd guess that'd be Jarnkrok considering I think Kampf is a C who can PK and Jarnkrok hasn't really impressed here during the playoffs to help with depth scoring.

Missing Holmberg, he is arguably better than McMann and Robertson, so if he is competing than McMann, Robertson, and Dewar should be as well.

You listed 13 players (add another for Holmberg) and I am saying they should give more guys a look.

Cowan or Greb are likely ready, Steeves could use a look.

Minten and Tverberg are both injured but those guys should have been pushing.

Quillan should be pushing for a spot.

All I am saying is, they signed (or will be signing) 14 NHL level players, competition is great, but I think the tie normally goes to the vet.

I am just sick of seeing NHL ready prospects pushed to the side, we finally have a bunch of good ones.

What are we going to do? One year just have 5 rookies playing at once?

"Robertson scores goals but also does a lot of questionable things on the ice so why would they just pencil him in and not make him earn his spot?"

We have other one dimensional players on the team, I'd rather the one with 30+ goal upside playing and growing their game.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Dewar will likely start the season on IR and possibly even LTIR due to off season shoulder surgery

Minten with a high ankle sprain is currently on IR and possibly LTIR to start the season.

Both Mitch and Liljegren had a tough time getting back up to game speed, as did Sid if I remember correctly about 5 years ago(?), but neither seemed fully healthy in the playoffs

Other than a few of the Dcorps the team seems pretty good to go. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets!

Treliving also stated that there a very few guaranteed jobs and we all know who and why those players have those jobs.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Missing Holmberg, he is arguably better than McMann and Robertson, so if he is competing than McMann, Robertson, and Dewar should be as well.

You listed 13 players (add another for Holmberg) and I am saying they should give more guys a look.

Cowan or Greb are likely ready, Steeves could use a look.

Minten and Tverberg are both injured but those guys should have been pushing.

Quillan should be pushing for a spot.

All I am saying is, they signed (or will be signing) 14 NHL level players, competition is great, but I think the tie normally goes to the vet.

I am just sick of seeing NHL ready prospects pushed to the side, we finally have a bunch of good ones.

What are we going to do? One year just have 5 rookies playing at once?

"Robertson scores goals but also does a lot of questionable things on the ice so why would they just pencil him in and not make him earn his spot?"

We have other one dimensional players on the team, I'd rather the one with 30+ goal upside playing and growing their game.
Lets not get silly now with Holmberg. I like the guy but at this point he just seems like a fill in whenever an injury happens. I agree though, I'd probably take him over Robertson though but so many people seem to think Robertson is this amazing prospect so I put him in the lineup because he can score goals. He is not better than McMann though because McMann shows he can make an impact no matter how much ice time he gets because of his size, skating and shot.

No reason to rush Cowan. Even going off the games against Montreal last weekend you saw he could be dominate but he can disappear and make some dumb mistakes thinking he's in Junior. Sucks that it's NHL or OHL for him because it would be good to see him in the AHL with Minten. Greb possibly could make it but idk if they want him to get used to NA ice in the AHL first. Guess it depends on how he does during the preseason. These are guys that are most likely taking the spot away from Robertson btw even if Patches wasn't signed.

Minten looks good but he's another I don't see them rushing. Marlies have a chance to be good with quite a few prospects actually playing and Minten could be the #1C there. I think that's better for him over being a 4C on the Leafs. Tverberg looked promising last year but it was his 1st season in the AHL and was the 5th last pick his draft year. I doubt he's being seriously considered this early to be on the Leafs unless he can do well this season on the Marlies.

I'm sure Quillan will push for a spot, but with Nylander moving to C I'm sure that makes it much harder for him unless he outplays Kampf in a defensive role and PKer.

You have to actually develop your prospects. Usually we trade them or didn't really have many who were gonna make the NHL. Only reason we want to push them to the NHL so fast is because our core takes up so much cap the ELCs would help a lot.

We're gonna let them develop on the Marlies. When's the last time we've had a Marlies team that looks like it'll be a good team filled with a bunch of actual prospects? Is that not what you're saying they should do now by playing 5 rookies at once? Robertson and McMann have like half a season in the NHL under their belt and Knies only has the 1. Marner extension gonna start after this season is over and whatever Tavares new deal is so I think playing guys like Minten, Cowan and possibly Greb on their ELCs when we have all those contracts towards the cap at once is the better thing to do.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Lets not get silly now with Holmberg. I like the guy but at this point he just seems like a fill in whenever an injury happens. I agree though, I'd probably take him over Robertson though but so many people seem to think Robertson is this amazing prospect so I put him in the lineup because he can score goals. He is not better than McMann though because McMann shows he can make an impact no matter how much ice time he gets because of his size, skating and shot.

Robertson outproduced McMann.

Holmberg is not far off and was more productive the year prior.

McMann is so overrated on our board.

No reason to rush Cowan. Even going off the games against Montreal last weekend you saw he could be dominate but he can disappear and make some dumb mistakes thinking he's in Junior. Sucks that it's NHL or OHL for him because it would be good to see him in the AHL with Minten. Greb possibly could make it but idk if they want him to get used to NA ice in the AHL first. Guess it depends on how he does during the preseason. These are guys that are most likely taking the spot away from Robertson btw even if Patches wasn't signed.

I saw tons of Leafs disappear all last year, yet you are penciling them as a potential roster player.

If roster spots are dictated by play Cowan is likely going to be ahead of Dewar, Reaves, and a few other, and then get sent down anyway.

Minten looks good but he's another I don't see them rushing. Marlies have a chance to be good with quite a few prospects actually playing and Minten could be the #1C there. I think that's better for him over being a 4C on the Leafs. Tverberg looked promising last year but it was his 1st season in the AHL and was the 5th last pick his draft year. I doubt he's being seriously considered this early to be on the Leafs unless he can do well this season on the Marlies.

Who cares about draft position? It is irrelevant.

No one is considered because there are no open spots.

We collect 4th liners and 6th Ds, it is the hobby of our GM.

I'm sure Quillan will push for a spot, but with Nylander moving to C I'm sure that makes it much harder for him unless he outplays Kampf in a defensive role and PKer.

Quillan is a long shot, just another example of a guy ho can probably hang in the NHL and should be pushing for a job but has close toa 0% chance because of plugs crowding the roster.

You have to actually develop your prospects. Usually we trade them or didn't really have many who were gonna make the NHL. Only reason we want to push them to the NHL so fast is because our core takes up so much cap the ELCs would help a lot.

Prospects develop while playing in the NHL too.

Why does every other team play young players and we play AHL level players like Reaves?

We're gonna let them develop on the Marlies. When's the last time we've had a Marlies team that looks like it'll be a good team filled with a bunch of actual prospects? Is that not what you're saying they should do now by playing 5 rookies at once? Robertson and McMann have like half a season in the NHL under their belt and Knies only has the 1. Marner extension gonna start after this season is over and whatever Tavares new deal is so I think playing guys like Minten, Cowan and possibly Greb on their ELCs when we have all those contracts towards the cap at once is the better thing to do.

The Hunter drafts all sucked, thank god we had competent drafting recently and have a bunch of prospects ready to break in.

I think Minten, Cowan, Greb, Hildeby, and Niemela are all likely NHLers around the same time, then they will think that there are too many rookies and start over cooking prospects and wasting them.

You think a better time to play them is when Tavares takes a pay cut and we have more cap to work with? Makes sense...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad