Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nick Robertson (1 year, $875k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He's foolishly put himself in the Marner PR failure team. The moment the 0's start showing up beside his name he's gonna hear it even more from the fans. This announcement changes nothing in terms of the fan relations. At this point he should fire his agent. Is Robertson a talented prospect for the Leafs? No. He's a fool.
That's a bold statement.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Trev did well to hold strong on him after the market was deemed weak. Nice patience. And he's still an RFA so they hold his rights again.

And Robby did well to come to his senses that he has an opportunity with the Leafs this year with LW being available and a new coach. He should be motivated.

Well played by all at this point to get er done before camp.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You can never have too much depth. I think another trade is coming. Maybe Kampf out or Liljegren traded for a center. Or maybe they don’t sign Haakenpaa

Oh you'll never hear me complain about to much depth I love the fact the fact there are to many players it means there has to be at least 1 more move coming.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would have liked to see Nick Robertson traded under the premise if a player doesn't want to be here then good riddance.

However I applaud Tre for not dealing him just for the sake of making a trade with a disgruntle player, as a RFA player has limited options.

A good GM will use that to the teams advantage and understands what a restricted free agent status is and not overpay, so got him signed for what would be similar to ELC entry level contract limits.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
lol, give me a break.

Dreger knows things. But he also clearly puts things out to benefit the agents/player camps. So he clearly gets info. But he doesn’t report it as it lies he reports from the agents perspective

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Dreger knows things. But he also clearly puts things out to benefit the agents/player camps. So he clearly gets info. But he doesn’t report it as it lies he reports from the agents perspective
How does it benefit the agent/players?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
How does it benefit the agent/players?

That’s Debatable. But I think the plan is public pressure. As well as public perception for people who care.

Ie: Marner’s Columbus offer sheet. “I’ve been talking to lots of teams that value Marner as a 13 million dollar player. The leafs better have money”.

remember Marner signed the day after O’Neill ripped him about turning down the JT deal. His agent literally complained that o Neil was applying public pressure.

I’m not saying it matters a ton to everyone. But every bit counts.

Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would have liked to see Nick Robertson traded under the premise if a player doesn't want to be here then good riddance.

However I applaud Tre for not dealing him just for the sake of making a trade with a disgruntle player, as a RFA player has limited options.

A good GM will use that to the teams advantage and understands what a restricted free agent status is and not overpay, so got him signed for what would be similar to ELC entry level contract limits.
McGroarty type deal probably works.

But their need really is some Center depth, and who would trade a player who can play center for a one dimensional winger, might we add winger with some baggage?

It should be an interesting tryout this year:

Robertson, Grebenkin, Cowan, Minten, Quillan, Lorentz, Hirvonen, Wheretheheckdidhecomefrom, ...

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I bet 2/3 of our team would take living in a sunny state, paying less taxes, and not having to deal with the media and fans we have over our team.

You want all them traded?

It is weird how the players (Marner and Tavares) who want to be here are the ones everyone wants to be traded.

Reactions: Roo

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm fine with it. It's too bad it had to get to this point but I still hope he has a great year and with a bigger opportunity he becomes a bigger part of the team and rethinks leaving. Go out and prove it now. Leafs did a good job waiting it out. I think the injuries probably scared teams away.
I don't think the bold statement above is true.

Our Leafs signed Tanev even though his injury list with Vancouver was extensive. He has also played for Calgary and Dallas.

I think that other teams are more scared of our Robertson because he requested a trade and appears to be a whinny little bitch that hasn't earned anything yet.

To be a coveted commodity, Nick has to prove his worth on the ice. So Nick, stay healthy and work your ass off every time you hit the ice! Oh and, keep your mouth shut!

JMHO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not buying this. Why would they do this? They could be telling them they will look around, but it makes no sense at all, when you have a need at that spot, he's cheap and should be productive.

Seems to me like Robertsons camp is hoping being signed, at a lower rate than expected, will garner higher interest to grant his request. I also have my doubts but could be a last attempt from the agent to get something done. As if the Leafs didn't let his agent poke around teams all this time anyway...

I'd be shocked if he was traded before camp.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
McGroarty type deal probably works.

But their need really is some Center depth, and who would trade a player who can play center for a one dimensional winger, might we add winger with some baggage?

It should be an interesting tryout this year:

Robertson, Grebenkin, Cowan, Minten, Quillan, Lorentz, Hirvonen, Wheretheheckdidhecomefrom, ...
I had both my fingers and toes crossed for a McGroaty deal truth be told.

I would even have tossed in Liljegren with Nkki Bobby multiplayer deal to make it happen it that is what it took because an often injured smaller player like Roberston doesn't have high market value.

I'm all for "Play the Kids" and like to bottom fill the Leafs rosters with youngsters on cheaper ELC deals.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Seems to me like Robertsons camp is hoping being signed, at a lower rate than expected, will garner higher interest to grant his request. I also have my doubts but could be a last attempt from the agent to get something done. As if the Leafs didn't let his agent poke around teams all this time anyway...

I'd be shocked if he was traded before camp.

As a free agent, Robertson (his agent) was eligible to talk with any team until today.... so he could have certainly given assurance that if they trade for him, he'll sign a $875k deal; or done a sign & trade.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I’m shocked it’s that low. Wish it were two years but it is what it is. Glad he’s back and hopefully he’ll get a decent shot and have a healthy season.

This man has no clue what he is talking about, ever.

They can do all the things he mentioned easily by waiving a few people.

I don't know why they'd want to hurt the team by doing those things, but it is not hard.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm not buying this. Why would they do this? They could be telling them they will look around, but it makes no sense at all, when you have a need at that spot, he's cheap and should be productive.
I'll wait until we get a more reliable source. I'm not buying a thing Frank says these days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad