Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nick Robertson (1 year, $875k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That must be a frustrating comment to read when we have guys who do nothing outside of punching people in the face that are playing.

We have a lot of one-dimensional role players, you'd think the role of putting the puck in the net would be valuable.
Those one dimensional players, and face puncher don't have top six aspirations though.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Those one dimensional players, and face puncher don't have top six aspirations though.

We don't have a traditional forward group, we can roll a top 9 that is offensive and a 4th line that is our defensive line.

Does anyone roll the traditional setup of the offensive top 6, defensive 3rd line, and goons on the 4th line? And if they do, are they successful?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We don't have a traditional forward group, we can roll a top 9 that is offensive and a 4th line that is our defensive line.

Does anyone roll the traditional setup of the offensive top 6, defensive 3rd line, and goons on the 4th line? And if they do, are they successful?

I agree with you that we should run a top 9 offensive group, but that doesn’t change that Robertson has top 6 aspirations, and for him to become that, he needs to round out his game. He’s a potential 25-30 goal scorer under the right circumstances, but to be given more minutes, he has to be trusted to be out there in all situations.

Noting, I’m as big of a fan out there and cheerleader for his success as there is. Fantastic shot and release. Round out the game and you’ve got one heck of a player.

Reactions: Jmo89 and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I agree with you that we should run a top 9 offensive group, but that doesn’t change that Robertson has top 6 aspirations, and for him to become that, he needs to round out his game. He’s a potential 25-30 goal scorer under the right circumstances, but to be given more minutes, he has to be trusted to be out there in all situations.

Noting, I’m as big of a fan out there and cheerleader for his success as there is. Fantastic shot and release. Round out the game and you’ve got one heck of a player.
Everyone thinks Berube is magically going to fix every player’s weaknesses, which I highly doubt, but I hope he can coach up Robertson’s shortcomings and in the process make him a sniper that’s nit a defensive liability……..

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The original chit chat was to say the issue with Dreger isn't that he's connected and has inside information - as he reported the Robertson signing this morning... it's that he's a shill for Marner and has been reporting massive salary asks and phantom threats of offer sheets dating back to 2019.
Dreger is an idiot, most sports media ranges from stretching the truth to just making stuff up, and things tend to get amplified in Toronto because it's Toronto, but nobody "shills" for a player and your reasoning for singling out Dreger is odd. The player you're referencing did earn and make big salary asks, and ironically, the offer sheet threats you call "phantom" were actually one of the few times that something he reported was confirmed to be correct.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Everyone thinks Berube is magically going to fix every player’s weaknesses, which I highly doubt, but I hope he can coach up Robertson’s shortcomings and in the process make him a sniper that’s nit a defensive liability……..
I think I read somewhere that a change in coaching has an immediate boost, which wears off over time.
Don't know how many coaches really make a difference.

Reactions: rumman

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Dreger is an idiot, most sports media ranges from stretching the truth to just making stuff up, and things tend to get amplified in Toronto because it's Toronto, but nobody "shills" for a player and your reasoning for singling out Dreger is odd. The player you're referencing did earn and make big salary asks, and ironically, the offer sheet threats you call "phantom" were actually one of the few times that something he reported was confirmed to be correct.
Jeff O'Niell called Drags out on air saying something like "Marner isn't the only superstar player up for a contract. You have guys like Rantanen and Point. Why is it only Marner, we're hearing about offer sheets?" Then iirc Dreger didn't know what to say.

Darren Ferris is known for making threats for his clients. Wouldn't surprise me at all that he was probably feeding dregs info and B.S. to try and drive up his client's price

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Jeff O'Niell called Drags out on air saying something like "Marner isn't the only superstar player up for a contract. You have guys like Rantanen and Point. Why is it only Marner, we're hearing about offer sheets?" Then iirc Dreger didn't know what to say.

Darren Ferris is known for making threats for his clients. Wouldn't surprise me at all that he was probably feeding dregs info and B.S. to try and drive up his client's price
I’d take Rantanen and/or Point ahead of Marner, bith are much better players who cost less…….

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Jeff O'Niell called Drags out on air saying something like "Marner isn't the only superstar player up for a contract. You have guys like Rantanen and Point. Why is it only Marner, we're hearing about offer sheets?"
Jeff O'Neil doesn't have a clue about anything. It wasn't only Marner. In just that offseason, we also had reports of Point being approached for an offer sheet, and Aho literally signed an offer sheet. Though with Marner being the best of the RFA group, and considering what the offer sheet compensation thresholds were and the cap limitations Toronto was facing, Marner would have made the most sense. Regardless of how you feel about it, it's one of the few reports that have been explicitly confirmed to be true directly from the player, so it's a weird thing to hold against a reporter.

Reactions: Gallagbi

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Berube will get them to focus and play with energy. That is his strength. The energy part will be right in Robertson’s wheelhouse and his overcommitting (his greatest flaw) on the defensive side was on the improve last season. Add that to the fresh voice behind the bench and the comfort of knowing that he’s starting the season out of the dog house suggests to me, a strong start. Psychologically he benefits the most from the coaching change.
I have high hopes for Nick this season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Jeff O'Neil doesn't have a clue about anything. It wasn't only Marner. In just that offseason, we also had reports of Point being approached for an offer sheet, and Aho literally signed an offer sheet. Though with Marner being the best of the RFA group, and considering what the offer sheet compensation thresholds were and the cap limitations Toronto was facing, Marner would have made the most sense. Regardless of how you feel about it, it's one of the few reports that have been explicitly confirmed to be true directly from the player, so it's a weird thing to hold against a reporter.

You might want to re-think that last sentence.

If Dreger is reporting directly from Marner camp, and is always framing negotiations with Marner in a strength of great leverage and position to the Leafs without actually being able to counter balance with an inside take from the team he's negotiating with, then he's by nature being a shill for the player, acting as his mouthpiece in a public negotiation.

That's exactly what O'Neill called him out on.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If Dreger is reporting directly from Marner camp, and is always framing negotiations with Marner in a strength of great leverage and position to the Leafs without actually being able to counter balance with an inside take from the team he's negotiating with, then he's by nature being a shill for the player, acting as his mouthpiece in a public negotiation.
Reporting information is not being a shill for a player, and while I don't really like Dreger, you haven't really identified any reason to single him out in this market's sports media landscape. Exactly what "inside take from the team" were you expecting? It seems more like you just dislike what the situation was, and are shooting the messenger. He did have a big ask, for good reason. He did have offer sheets. He did have great leverage. Seems weird to be upset about being given actual information, especially when so much incorrect nonsense gets thrown around by our media.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Was Domi trusted in all situations before being given his minutes and first dibs at the top line replacement winger? You don’t need to trust the guy defensively necessarily you just need to trust that the positives will outweigh the negatives if he’s used in the right situation. If we can run Domi at 1C in May I don’t see an issue running Robertson in an offensive middle 6 in October, it’s not like we’re flush with better LWs for that job.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad