Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign McBackup (850K) & Sparks (675K) to 2 year deals

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
No complains. But i would have liked going after someone who can start in case Freddie goes down. Maybe Niemi?

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
So that means what? They couldn't get who they wanted? Are they are trying to lure a big fish somewhere else like on defence or forward (center)?

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Can't complain with that cap hit... if he stinks, they can send him down and be rid of it.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Don't like McElhinney as an NHL backup for the full year. AHL starter and first call up is great, but he has to be one of the worst backups in the league.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Like it.

McBackup did well for us last year. Worth the gamble.

Also, Sparks is a good #3. Yeah, he wasn't so hot when he first came up, but that was a tank year. It was a different team. He was also solid in the AHL last year. Worth the gamble too.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Well I'm not unhappy at all. But my understanding was we were trying to upgrade at back up. Not status quo.

I havent heard one single credible report state that.

The stats guys hate McElhenney but what theyre failing to understand is that looking at a backup SV%/GAA is rather pointless. Literally the only thing that matters is getting wins. They scream abut sample size for skaters but somehow also scream about SV% when it comes to backups, while ignoring the relatively small sample size of a backup.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Upgrade is relative. Mac knows his role. "An upgrade" would be belly aching in the room about lack of starts.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its an okay move as McElroo was fine while here, and a lot better than that Enroth blunder.

Hard to believe though this is the best the Leafs could do.

I'd grade this a C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad