Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Liljegren to 2 year extension 3M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
He probably gets this number or just slightly lower in arbitration.. hell maybe he gets a little more. They don't want to risk getting burned, and a 1 year deal walks him to UFA. This gives you cost certainty on July 1st rather than getting screwed in a few months with an unwanted arb award, and this buys the extra year if Liljegren has a break out.

Whether you want to believe it or not, this guy has shown flashes and is about to hit that age that d-men figure it out. New coach, new system, new partner.. lots of factors.

Reactions: Kurtz and arso40

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I like Lilly and think he has upside, but he's been inconsistent so far. Sometimes looks like a legit 2nd pairing guy, sometimes looks more like a #7 dman, hasn't been a guy you can rely on (yet). This does feel a bit rich for what he's provided so far, I would've expected more like $2-2.5 mil. I do think he has a decent shot to grow into this deal, but it's a slight overpay IMO.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Cap increases can't go up fast enough to compensate for the inflationary stupidity of some of the league's GMs this time of year.

horner

May 22, 2007
I think Ljiligren will be traded
J̌amcrock will be traded once the Leafs see if Cowen is going to make the team.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We've seen Liljegren for 3 playoffs now and the one constant is him looking scared, making dumb plays because of it, and getting his TOI drastically reduced because he just doesn't belong out there in an intense playoff atmosphere.

Even if you're not trading one of the stars - not keeping this guy was a no brainer.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
We've seen Liljegren for 3 playoffs now and the one constant is him looking scared, making dumb plays because of it, and getting his TOI drastically reduced because he just doesn't belong out there in an intense playoff atmosphere.

Even if you're not trading one of the stars - not keeping this guy was a no brainer.
Sean Walker signed for $3.6M. Alex Carriere for $3.75. I know there are tax advantages but it still seems like either of these two guys were affordable. They must really think he is ready to break out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad