Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Liljegren to 2 year extension 3M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
A good season 6 years ago. One has 13 playoff games under his belt half of which came this year, the other has 57.. Grasping at straws here.

Morgan Rielly has proven time and time again that he has zero defensive acumen. He’s not even in the same league as liljegren on the defensive side of the game.
He was literally our best player on a team with 4 11M players just two playoffs ago and put up 68 points in ‘22 and 58 points this year. Grasping at straws, ya someone is. Lilly plays against inferior competition with massive oz starts and Rielly plays against the best every single night. Not even comparable.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
YES!

Good on you Treliving. Thanks for not giving up on him. You got 2 years to see what you got in him. I am willing to bet Lily would thrive under Berube.
Hopefully, but isn’t he a little on the small side, especially if he’s a bottom 6, for what Berube likes for size with his dmen?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hopefully, but isn’t he a little on the small side, especially if he’s a bottom 6, for what Berube likes for size with his dmen?

True I suppose its kind of asset management. I think Lily can improve his game quite a bit. If he cannot play Berube style he will be dealt. But I think his trade value will improve under Berube so we can get something decent back for him if for some reason he doesn't pan out. I do think he will improve quite significantly under Berube does that mean he will stick around or not I am not sure..,

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I hope he stays a Leaf. The other thread comparing to Stralman is a good comparison. I believe he improves his game with Keefe gone.

Reactions: arso40

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I legitimately don't understand why they kept him.

He has never had morethan 23 points in a season so he doesn't really provide offense

He's not particularly good defensively

He doesn't hit

Doesn't fight

Doesn't block shots

Has never played a full season

legitimately what does he actually do?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Funny how he was 4th in ice time for the Leafs, for a 6/7 D... but carry on.
Liljegren did get #4 TOI for the regular season but was really horrendous in the postseason.

3Mx2 is not a backbreaking deal as much as it is people just wanting to see the defense be re-modeled, atleast most people in this thread from what I've seen.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Sweet.

If we could just ink Marner to an extension, and then work on getting Tavares done, I reckon that's the key for us going deep. We are so very, very, very close.
Don’t worry they’re both coming buddy. 12.75x8 and 6x6. But it’s ok, Tanev and somehow downgrading in net will do the trick just gotta hope Woll is healthy.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
He's already an every day 3rd pair D. Arguing otherwise is non factual

It's also non-factual to argue he didn't struggle and wasn't a healthy scratch at times.

That's the sort of consistency I'm talking about.

I don't hate Liljegren, but he's got a lot to prove. This is a sizeable cap hit for a question mark in my mind.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Also, too much for a 3rd pair D that sees no playoff time.

I read that apparently we are out of the big name UFAs and linked to Big Z (But now we can't afford him). If that's the case, then I am very disappointed that our "change it up" is adding Tanev, and probably OEL... Lol.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Also, too much for a 3rd pair D that sees no playoff time.

I read that apparently we are out of the big name UFAs and linked to Big Z (But now we can't afford him). If that's the case, then I am very disappointed that our "change it up" is adding Tanev, and probably OEL... Lol.
Somehow managing to downgrade in net is some kind of masterclass.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Comparing one bad signing to another doesn’t make the case you think it does………
It doesn’t, you’re right. I just find it funny how people are up in arms about a 2 year $3M AAV signing, but praised the $7.5M AAV for a liability on the backend.
Did you just come from Reddit? They love the signing maybe go talk about it there.
No thanks.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Signing Lily just means we're priced out of UFA dmen, which means we're signing Mitchy, which means there's no hope for a Cup for at least 15 years.
  • 8 years Mitchy contract
  • 3 years of teardown
  • 4 years of rebuild

injun.gif

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Being sat out for Brodie tells you how well he played vs Boston.
It does provide part of the explanation as to why Keefe was fired though. My guess is that management thought more highly of Liljegren than Keefe did. Holl was basically Keefe’s boy.

Signing Lily just means we're priced out of UFA dmen, which means we're signing Mitchy, which means there's no hope for a Cup for at least 15 years.
  • 8 years Mitchy contract
  • 3 years of teardown
  • 4 years of rebuild

View attachment 890326
It’s called lowering the AAV by extending the contracts. Math.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It's also non-factual to argue he didn't struggle and wasn't a healthy scratch at times.

That's the sort of consistency I'm talking about.

I don't hate Liljegren, but he's got a lot to prove. This is a sizeable cap hit for a question mark in my mind.
The big thing is he needs to stay healthy. He loses his momentum after he gets hurt

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00