Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Jani Hakanpaa (2 years, $1.5M AAV) [in progress; medical delay?]

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He went to Samsanov when he was outplaying Woll...

If a GM is that uninformed on players in the league when he was employed right before, there is an issue and he likely should not be hired.
Did he have better options at the time than Samsonov? Treliving isn't an idiot, to buy time and to save face, you don't come in and make abrupt changes. You trust your staff. Why else do you think teams have professional and amateur scouts and coaches for a reason. To just spend money?

Both Woll and Samsonov struggled in the season at times. While Woll was slow coming back from injury..Samsonov just struggled mentally as he has throughout his career. While at their best, Woll was the better goalie. Woll also was amongst the top in the league in high danger saves, while Samsonov was amongst the worst. Woll was also the better goalie last playoffs vs Samsonov.

I said after game 1 that I would've went with Woll for the series. Ullmark after the playoffs said the same.

Sounds like I know my stuff, if you'd like I can dig up my post... if you want me to toot my own horn more ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought this guy was a Defense man?
Right you are .. He lead the Dallas Stars in hits in 2023-24 with 196.

1720238547096.png

Finished 3rd in blocked shots with 123,

1720238607322.png

2nd on the team in SH TOI/g averaging over 3 minutes a game on a Dallas Stars team that finished top 5 in PK% with 82.0 %.

According to NHL.com official stats in 64 games played he never got scored on a single time while on the PK last year despite averaging > 3 minutes a game of SH time.

1720239076283.png
1720240016769.png

If this guy can return to health he is doing to be a real serious contributor to Leafs success. At 6-7 222 lbs he is a force out there to try and get around or get off the puck.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If your team has +40 differential (Goals For - Goals Against) as a team, but your team is already near the top in GF then you're scoring at near max efficiency.
2023-24 Leafs 303 GF - 263 GA = + 40 Goal Differential
However if you now sacrifice a little offense (via cap space usage or player replacement) and drop 20 Goals For, but your improvement in Goaltending & Defense results in -40 less goals against
2024-25 Leafs projected 283 GF - 223 GA = +60 Goal Differential (which = major improvement) and likely shows up in standings and results if you score +60 more goals then you surrender.
So its easy to see where BT is taking this team through his giant Dman signings like 6-7 Hakanpaa and other big physical Dman additions for his new coach to play his system.
8w3e6b.jpg

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
According to NHL.com official stats in 64 games played he never got scored on a single time while on the PK last year despite averaging > 3 minutes a game of SH time.
View attachment 892775
On-ice SH GA refers to shorthanded goals scored against you while on the PP. The top 3 PKers being at 0 GA probably should have been a clue.
He got scored on 29 times while on the PK, for the record. That was the worst rate on the team.

Reactions: Wats

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
You make it sound like everyone wants to come here. They don't. Bobby Orr wasn't available. Even if he took some risk,Edmondson and Boosh left for cash as did Schenn. OReilly and Accari left and Skinner chose Edmonton. Until we win a cup we aren't the preferred destination. We have to overpay everyone. Bert took 5.5m , we can't pay that. Leafs fans want everyone making max, so they end up fishing for bargains.
Treliving was brought in with the hopes of fixing the mess left by Dubas but he seems to be doubling down and continue to try piecemeal a roster with whatever is available.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You make it sound like everyone wants to come here. They don't. Bobby Orr wasn't available. Even if he took some risk,Edmondson and Boosh left for cash as did Schenn. OReilly and Accari left and Skinner chose Edmonton. Until we win a cup we aren't the preferred destination. We have to overpay everyone. Bert took 5.5m , we can't pay that. Leafs fans want everyone making max, so they end up fishing for bargains.
Precisely. Doing the same thing Dubas tried, although Dubas actually targeted some of the garbage he brought in.
Players want to win and they look at the core, the city and say no thanks.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
2nd on the team in SH TOI/g averaging over 3 minutes a game on a Dallas Stars team that finished top 5 in PK% with 82.0 %.

Highest xGA on Dallas at 4v5.

Highest shot attempts against on Dallas at 4v5.

2nd most high danger chances against on Dallas at 4v5.

He may be a good PKer, not entirely sure, but from our team, Benoit, McCabe, Gio, and Edmundson all have better numbers, but it's hard to judge this.

View attachment 892775View attachment 892777

That's not what that means... he never got scored against while on the PP

He was scored against 29 times when short-handed.

Another post of misinformation.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

Wait, its not realistic that Haakanpa played on a top PK unit for 64 games and gave up 0 goals while on the ice???

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Highest xGA on Dallas at 4v5.

Highest shot attempts against on Dallas at 4v5.

2nd most high danger chances against on Dallas at 4v5.

He may be a good PKer, not entirely sure, but from our team, Benoit, McCabe, Gio, and Edmundson all have better numbers, but it's hard to judge this.

This is hard to judge because these defencemen are not being deployed exactly the same on the PK.

Hakanpaa is starting most of his PK shits in the Dzone off a faceoff while guys like Benoit, Edmundson have far less Dzone starts and a extemely high % of shift starts on the fly. They are frequently coming onto the ice after the puck has been dumped back down the ice and the opposing team then needs to transport the puck all the way back up the ice.

Hakanpaa is being asked to perform a more difficult task deployment wise, that is not as conducive in putting up good stats compared to some of the Leafs D you mentioned.

Hakanpaa 77.8% shift starts in the defensive zone, 14.1% of shift starts on the fly
Edmundson 29.95% shift starts in the defensive zone, 66.9% of shift starts on the fly
Benoit 25% shift starts in the defensive zone, 67.9% of shift starts on the fly

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Did he have better options at the time than Samsonov? Treliving isn't an idiot, to buy time and to save face, you don't come in and make abrupt changes. You trust your staff. Why else do you think teams have professional and amateur scouts and coaches for a reason. To just spend money?

Both Woll and Samsonov struggled in the season at times. While Woll was slow coming back from injury..Samsonov just struggled mentally as he has throughout his career. While at their best, Woll was the better goalie. Woll also was amongst the top in the league in high danger saves, while Samsonov was amongst the worst. Woll was also the better goalie last playoffs vs Samsonov.

I said after game 1 that I would've went with Woll for the series. Ullmark after the playoffs said the same.

Sounds like I know my stuff, if you'd like I can dig up my post... if you want me to toot my own horn more ;)
Felt like they pushed for Woll to take over all season long. The early season injury hampered it and the poor late season made it difficult when Sammy kept winning

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Wild speculation ... he has signed a contract that won't be in effect until he's medically cleared?

View attachment 893298

They have some others under contract, but are considered "minor" league players.

Strange, Webber is here, but probably to burn a year?

Mermis played 47 games for the Wild, 2023-2024.

Think those are just players who were on NHL rosters to end the year, nothing to look into regarding burning a year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Think those are just players who were on NHL rosters to end the year, nothing to look into regarding burning a year.

Where is Hakanpaa?

Webber was only on the team for contract reason. IMO, never was going to play.

Was Grebenkin ever on the NHL roster? He is listed under NHL.com.

Just asking I don't see him being listed end of year movement.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad