Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Matthew Knies to ELC (3 years, $925k AAV)

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Despite the Domi and Bertuzzi acqusisions it's still Knies I want to see on Matthews' LW.

I think adding Bertuzzi and Domi gives us a lot of flexibility in terms of line ups. I’d love to see Marner and Domi reunited tbh. I personally would like to see Knies on the third line in sheltered minutes not having to live up to unrealistic expectations.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Domi - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Jarnkrok - Knies or (Knies - Kampf - Jarnkrok)
Reaves - Kampf - Holmberg

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think adding Bertuzzi and Domi gives us a lot of flexibility in terms of line ups. I’d love to see Marner and Domi reunited tbh. I personally would like to see Knies on the third line in sheltered minutes not having to live up to unrealistic expectations.

Domi - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Jarnkrok - Knies or (Knies - Kampf - Jarnkrok)
Reaves - Kampf - Holmberg

Marner played with Tkachuk and Dvorak primarily, not Domi.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Think he played a bit with Domi in his draft year in 2014-2015.

Domi had 102 in 57 and Dvorak had 109 in 66. Both are listed as C but not sure if they were both used as Centres or played shifts together along with Marner

Him and Tkachuk along with Dvorak were the best line in the CHL and one of the bests ever of the recent modern era (Think the kostitsyn-Gagner-Kane was more productive but not many others

I would try Domi and Nylander as L2 - offensive

Marner and JT as L2 - Matchup

Matthews , Knies and Bert as L1 - Offensive

Dont thinn 88 and 91 should play together at 5v5 this season much

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Think he played a bit with Domi in his draft year in 2014-2015.

Domi had 102 in 57 and Dvorak had 109 in 66. Both are listed as C but not sure if they were both used as Centres or played shifts together along with Marner

Him and Tkachuk along with Dvorak were the best line in the CHL and one of the bests ever of the recent modern era (Think the kostitsyn-Gagner-Kane was more productive but not many others

I would try Domi and Nylander as L2 - offensive

Marner and JT as L2 - Matchup

Matthews , Knies and Bert as L1 - Offensive

Dont thinn 88 and 91 should play together at 5v5 this season much

They played a bit together, but not primarily. That was an incredible line and team.

You’ve got two line 2’s!!!!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Domi and Marner played on a line for two seasons, Marner’s rookie year for a bit and then most notably in 2014/15. The line was Dvorak - Domi - Marner. They also played on the power play together in 14/15.

The year Marner played with Tkachuk and Dvorak was the 15/16 season when domi went to go play in the NHL.

Reactions: Fogelhund

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Looked more into it. I was right about the Domi and Marner playing top power play.

In 14/15 Domi played with Michael McCaron and Aaron Berisha

Marner played with Christian Dvorak and Matt Rupert.

Marner spent some time on a line with Domi but those were the two lines they ran with.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Despite the Domi and Bertuzzi acqusisions it's still Knies I want to see on Matthews' LW.

Domi had a successful season back at C last year. I could see a him as a playmaking 3C centering two shooters in Jarnkrok and Robertson (if he can stay healthy). That could be a high energy depth scoring line, though it may need to be a bit sheltered.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Domi had a successful season back at C last year. I could see a him as a playmaking 3C centering two shooters in Jarnkrok and Robertson (if he can stay healthy). That could be a high energy depth scoring line, though it may need to be a bit sheltered.

I'd like to see that too but I have doubts about Robertson. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

I think Knies looked great in the playoffs and I hope he gets opportunities with Matthews- potentially in the PP.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He did have a good season at C, but he’s not great defensively. We have better depth on the Leafs, we’re not at all desperate for offence, I think we’ll be less willing to compromise on defence from our centres.

My guess is we’ll see a lot of line shuffling/experimentation - so many combos worth trying, mix it up and see what sticks. With that said, I like the idea of Domi and Kampf anchoring the 3rd line, Bertuzzi and Knies as the LWs on our top 2 lines. A possible lineup:

Knies - Tavares - Marner
Domi - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Lafferty - Holmberg - Reaves

With Robertson and Gambrell as 13th/14th forwards. Or, if we trade Jarnkrok to free up some cap space (a possibility, I think), move Lafferty to 3RW, Robertson to 4LW.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He did have a good season at C, but he’s not great defensively. We have better depth on the Leafs, we’re not at all desperate for offence, I think we’ll be less willing to compromise on defence from our centres.

My guess is we’ll see a lot of line shuffling/experimentation - so many combos worth trying, mix it up and see what sticks. With that said, I like the idea of Domi and Kampf anchoring the 3rd line, Bertuzzi and Knies as the LWs on our top 2 lines. A possible lineup:

Knies - Tavares - Marner
Domi - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Lafferty - Holmberg - Reaves

With Robertson and Gambrell as 13th/14th forwards. Or, if we trade Jarnkrok to free up some cap space (a possibility, I think), move Lafferty to 3RW, Robertson to 4LW.
Is that lineup cap compliant even with a Murray buyout? Knies may have to play for the Marlies until someone gets injured

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Is that lineup cap compliant even with a Murray buyout? Knies may have to play for the Marlies until someone gets injured

Holmberg is still waiver exempt. Unless they’re extremely desperate to have him play 4C, I think Knies is clearly ahead.

Obviously he still needs to earn the spot in camp, but this is a guy who clearly showed he can play in the NHL at the end of last season.

Reactions: arso40

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Holmberg is still waiver exempt. Unless they’re extremely desperate to have him play 4C, I think Knies is clearly ahead.

Obviously he still needs to earn the spot in camp, but this is a guy who clearly showed he can play in the NHL at the end of last season.
I think he’s more than capable and hopefully they make room for him, but it’s really tight.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

There is talk that Murray is not even healthy enough to be bought out, or traded. He might go to LTIR.

If Murray is on LTIR, and Samsonov gets $3 mil, one of Robertson or Holmberg is on the Marlies, and we have a 21 man roster. (Assuming no other roster changes) Even then, we are really close to the cap.

If Samsonov gets above $3 mil, then we are down to a 20 man roster, without further changes.

It's tight.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There is talk that Murray is not even healthy enough to be bought out, or traded. He might go to LTIR.

If Murray is on LTIR, and Samsonov gets $3 mil, one of Robertson or Holmberg is on the Marlies, and we have a 21 man roster. (Assuming no other roster changes) Even then, we are really close to the cap.

If Samsonov gets above $3 mil, then we are down to a 20 man roster, without further changes.

It's tight.
LTIR Murray is the best case scenario for the cap, but they may still end up playing short or losing a player to waivers.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
There's so many unknowns:
- Will Murray get bought out, or will we pay someone to take 100% of his contract?
- How much does Samsonov get?
- Do we make any other smaller moves to free up cap, like trading Jarnkrok and/or Brodie (with Brodie, would need a cheaper replacement)?
- Do we make a huge move, like trading Nylander?

Above I'm looking at the possibility where there's no big changes to the forward group, and we free up cap space by things like paying to trade Murray, or buying out Murray and trading Brodie.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Who knows what Knies will do in the future. But given his playstyle ad effort, I can see him being a 25g-25a-50pt player.

Guy had more heart against Boston than JT, MM, AM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad