Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign defenceman Jani Hakanpää (1 year, $1.47M) (official)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Benoit played on top shutdown pair vs top offensive weapon vsLiljegren was playing in 3rd pair. Benoit played played 33% more than Liljegren ice time vs boston top 6

He started close got 80% of defensive faceoff vs 35% for liljegren

So more time against better matchup, more defensive faveoff ( meaning is youre losing it, you will probably need to defend the next 15 to 45 second in your zone every time you step in a faceoff. Brnoit had been put in a pretty hard situation to succes and did a pretty good job at the end... but we all know he was not in the good chair

Why are you bringing up Liljegren? He was terrible.

You are arguing with yourself there.

Benoit did poorly in the situation he was put in, he should be a 5/6 at best.

I just don't know what people were watching when they say that Benoit performed well.

Benoit wasn’t on the bench during the playoffs, Lil was benched and nobody watching was surprised. Benoit got more ice time, played tougher matchups, D zone starts, every metric he had the more important gig. Anyone who claims Lil was better in the playoffs is a joke….oh wait.

You are arguing with yourself, no one is claiming Liljegren was good.

Just to bring it back on topic, this guy is an absolute cap hit steal if he stays healthy. Obviously our doctors think he can play, so a good day for Leafs nation.

Seems weird no other teams think that he is a steal and offered more.

Our doctors also cleared Klingberg.

Reactions: Dog

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
You are going to end up being wrong when it comes to goaltending.
I'm uncertain on the goalies right now. Woll if healthy could be okay but Stolarz expected him to play 35+ games? The most he played was 28 games. Hildeby has not played one NHL game yet. Murray coming back and playing few NHL games after what he went through be amazing but not expecting that to happen.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I know your always optimistic, but the goaltending imo has equal odds of being good enough or injury plague and unacceptable. Any playoff success will come down to the D and G being better than that of seasons past especially if the core four once again have trouble scoring in the postseason……..

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I know your always optimistic, but the goaltending imo has equal odds of being good enough or injury plague and unacceptable. Any playoff success will come down to the D and G being better than that of seasons past especially if the core four once again have trouble scoring in the postseason……..
I think this tandem will produce .915 to .920 save percentages all season.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
A massive wall of text with no truth, pure delusion.

I didn't say Benoit was outplayed by Liljegren in the playoffs.

Benoit has been a fine 5/6, he sucked in the playoffs.

This was the most insane rant on here I've read...

Benoit flourishing at 5v5

View attachment 906508

Did Benoit flourish by helping us with our 65% PK?

You are delusional.

Rielly, Lub, and McCabe were good, probably in that order, the rest were bad.

Myers, Mattinen, Kokkennen, Mermis, and Rifai could all get called up if injuries happen.

What do you expect in the AHL?

And they are carrying 2 extra NHL D currently...

this is what I'm not understanding and people think Liljegren being traded is far fetched. I don't think it is at all. The leafs have 10-12 quality defenders who can play in the NHL. If they can make a good hockey trade for Liljegren to acquire a young forward around the same age (Preferably a center) and shed some cap I think they have to explore that. Myers and Mattinen could both play NHL games on the right side. Mattinen is a darkhorse, not a lock by any means but he's got good upside, he skates extremely well for a 6'6 guy and can move the puck.

The reality is, Pacioretty is getting a contract, I think they want to sign Lorentz, Cowan MAY play his way onto this team and if one or even two of those things happen and you add on they are not going to waive Reaves, it means that one of Kampf, Liljegren or Jarnkrok has to go. We are really short on centers, so I don't see Kampf being traded. But maybe Lorentz or Minten will play center. I also don't think the leafs want to run a 20 or 21 man roster, they want 23. So they gotta move Salary. Out of the 3 players Liljegren has the most value and can get you the best return. It feels like he will be the odd guy out but of course I could be wrong. All in all I think it comes down to one of Kampf or Liljegren getting the boot. *EDIT* - There is also the possibility McMann starts the year on LTIR as well if he's not ready to go. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: rumman and Dog

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
this is what I'm not understanding and people think Liljegren being traded is far fetched. I don't think it is at all. The leafs have 10-12 quality defenders who can play in the NHL. If they can make a good hockey trade for Liljegren to acquire a young forward around the same age (Preferably a center) and shed some cap I think they have to explore that. Myers and Mattinen could both play NHL games on the right side. Mattinen is a darkhorse, not a lock by any means but he's got good upside, he skates extremely well for a 6'6 guy and can move the puck.

The reality is, Pacioretty is getting a contract, I think they want to sign Lorentz, Cowan MAY play his way onto this team and if one or even two of those things happen and you add on they are not going to waive Reaves, it means that one of Kampf, Liljegren or Jarnkrok has to go. We are really short on centers, so I don't see Kampf being traded. But maybe Lorentz or Minten will play center. I also don't think the leafs want to run a 20 or 21 man roster, they want 23. So they gotta move Salary. Out of the 3 players Liljegren has the most value and can get you the best return. It feels like he will be the odd guy out but of course I could be wrong. All in all I think it comes down to one of Kampf or Liljegren getting the boot. *EDIT* - There is also the possibility McMann starts the year on LTIR as well if he's not ready to go. Will be interesting to see what happens.
It's refreshing reading some positivity about Mattinen after 7 years of reading how shit he is because he's 6'6.

Reactions: rumman

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'm uncertain on the goalies right now. Woll if healthy could be okay but Stolarz expected him to play 35+ games? The most he played was 28 games. Hildeby has not played one NHL game yet. Murray coming back and playing few NHL games after what he went through be amazing but not expecting that to happen.
Stolarz is a work load question mark but thats why they got him for what they did. He played 47 and 39 game seasons as the #1 in Lehigh and Reading and had strong years. He hasn't failed as a regular in the NHL, he just never had a chance. So long as he is healthy he should be fine. I think he can play 35+ but he was brought in to be the backup and the real question mark is Woll being ready for the playoffs. There is bad luck with injuries and then there are guys that just aren't durable like Murray. I am less uncertain than I was last year at this time. Goalie by committee for now and nobody is going to give the .890.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
yup, he could end up being another Jake Gardner, better ditch him now!!!!

Sorry to break this to you, I don't think we have 6 nhl defensemen now.
Rielly, McCabe, OEL, Tanev, Lilly, the rest are plugs.

Sometimes any plug will do.
1726154866704.png

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Stolarz is a work load question mark but thats why they got him for what they did. He played 47 and 39 game seasons as the #1 in Lehigh and Reading and had strong years. He hasn't failed as a regular in the NHL, he just never had a chance. So long as he is healthy he should be fine. I think he can play 35+ but he was brought in to be the backup and the real question mark is Woll being ready for the playoffs. There is bad luck with injuries and then there are guys that just aren't durable like Murray. I am less uncertain than I was last year at this time. Goalie by committee for now and nobody is going to give the .890.
It's not bad signing was actually happy they signed him. As could of went worse route as they did in past. The concern is what will they do if Woll gets injured?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It's refreshing reading some positivity about Mattinen after 7 years of reading how shit he is because he's 6'6.

You were reading he was bad because, this may shock you, but he was bad... hopefully, his one good season is not a flash in the pan and it is sustained, but this is a weird and incorrect way to phrase this.

No one cares about size except for the size queens here who think it is required, most people want the best players regardless of size.

The upside of Liljegren is not worth losing over a bottom pairing D... we tried using 4 bottom pairing D last year and it didn't work out well, hopefully they learned.

If there is a trade to make them better, great, but not sure Liljegren has that value.

If Lorentz is signed, Reaves has to go, are we planning on playing no one with skill?

Pacioretty should not be blocking any young players unless he impresses, but he is most likely done as an impact player.

The scenarios you described make us tougher and older, but worse, hopefully Treliving doesn't replicate what he did in Calgary.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I'm confused why people are excited about having big slugs clogging up the bottom half of our lineup. Supposedly this is a great strategy for the playoffs, where year after year the team fails to move the puck and score with any consistency and yet we need more tall crease clearers to give away the puck in our own end?

I can accept that fine, for whatever reason, stay-at-home partners have worked a lot better with Rielly in the playoffs. But Benoit and Edmundson were both bad last playoffs. Liljegren struggled too, which is ironic considering the fact that he can't PK well is probably the reason Tre is signing Hakanpaa in the first place.

Reactions: Macallan18

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I don't really understand these posts. How is not getting someone better than Rielly and not getting rid of Reilly a big fail for Tre? Do we just ignore Reilly's NMC that Tre inherited? How does he acquire someone better than Reilly exactly? Trade Marner and his NMC? Sign Brady Skjei? He MIGHT be better, maybe, and was certainly more expensive. Sign him instead of Tanev and OEL?

Your opinion on goaltending is an opinion I don't agree with and I don't see a lot of better options than what we did. Markstrom? Show me how we fit $6M in and how we acquire him without a first round pick in 2025 or a similar prospect?
I must have been unclear I DONT want to get rid of Rielly, but do want to add someone better. He is paid big bucks to figure it out. To start with, stop signing and overpaying mediocre players like OEL and Kampf
Goaltending is now a crap shoot. Neither of them has played starter for a season, maybe it will work, maybe it won’t. That is a gamble

I hope so!!!!

Reactions: rumman

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Lily is worth a 3rd rounder maybe. Why bother? I think it's Jarnkrok with Pacioretty taking his spot. It won't be Kampf.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm confused why people are excited about having big slugs clogging up the bottom half of our lineup. Supposedly this is a great strategy for the playoffs, where year after year the team fails to move the puck and score with any consistency and yet we need more tall crease clearers to give away the puck in our own end?

I can accept that fine, for whatever reason, stay-at-home partners have worked a lot better with Rielly in the playoffs. But Benoit and Edmundson were both bad last playoffs. Liljegren struggled too, which is ironic considering the fact that he can't PK well is probably the reason Tre is signing Hakanpaa in the first place.
He signed him because year after year we rent them and then they walk for zip. We have no picks next year and we will need that Florida second rounder to fill other holes upfront.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

What is funny, is someone posted yesterday:

I think everyone is just expressing their opinion, and as we can see extreme takes are common.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
What is funny, is someone posted yesterday:

I think everyone is just expressing their opinion, and as we can see extreme takes are common.
By that definition , how many teams have 6? Benoit did his job but Timmins needs to find his A game this year or he is toast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad