Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Oliver Ekman-Larsson (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
cant believe that dweeb kyle got me caring about advanced stats.

All i care about now is how big a dude is.

lol in all seriousness though f*** it feels good to win the score battle, the eye test and lost the shitty deserve to win o meter crap than vice versa. Whatever OEL's stats are hes been absolutely dynamite.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'm going to eat some crow on this one... as I HATED the OEL signing... but the early returns have obviously been extremely solid.

Even the cap hit, $3.5m sounds like a big number, but it's honestly not these days. There is certainly a world where he can be a #5 defenceman at $3.5m

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Oliver has become the player he was in Arizona his movements and the way he read the play is elite or atleast near so far and i think he "blossoms now when he gets to play in the hockey capital of the world and looks extremely focused.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022
I'm going to eat some crow on this one... as I HATED the OEL signing... but the early returns have obviously been extremely solid.

Even the cap hit, $3.5m sounds like a big number, but it's honestly not these days. There is certainly a world where he can be a #5 defenceman at $3.5m
He is clearly playing like a stud Dmen he was always known for. Top pairing great 2-way D. 3.5m per is an absolute daylight robbery.

Reactions: supermann_98

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Things I didn't realize.
  • How big he is
  • How physical he is
  • How gritty he plays
  • How good he is defensively
  • How good he is with a breakout pass; direct or indirect

He's not flashy. Just good.
I’m in that club as well.
In our defense even Arizona fans didn’t watch Arizona.

Reactions: supermann_98

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He's been incredible! Great signing by Tre! I can't wait for the Dubasites and advanced stats nerds pull up charts and graphs telling me how bad he's been but I'll trust my eyes

I understand the point/joke you are making, but there can't be anyone actually saying anything bad about OEL so far this year, can there? He has delivered in every way we could have possibly hoped. He is apparently a really solid teammate too.

Reactions: ACC1224

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I understand the point/joke you are making, but there can't be anyone actually saying anything bad about OEL so far this year, can there? He has delivered in every way we could have possibly hoped. He is apparently a really solid teammate too.

Unfortunately there is some here who only care about their opinions about certain gms.
They aren’t even fans of the team.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Unfortunately there is some here who only care about their opinions about certain gms.
Thanks. I figured that was what this was. I actually started a thread on the topic of this divide in a portion (subset?) of Leafs nation so I won't go deeper on this topic here.

It's hard to see flaws in what OEL brings. Same with Tanev. The only knock is contract length and age and that is not an issue right now, so we should enjoy and appreciate what they are bringing. If Hakanpaa can play, he brings a lot to our third pairing.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Thanks. I figured that was what this was. I actually started a thread on the topic of this divide in a portion (subset?) of Leafs nation so I won't go deeper on this topic here.

It's hard to see flaws in what OEL brings. Same right Tanev. The only knock is contract length and age and that is not an issue right now, so we should enjoy and appreciate what they are bringing. If Hakanpaa can play, he brings a lot to our third pairing.

Honestly he looks like our best D.

Rielly 6’1. Tanev 6’2
OEL 6’2. McCabe 6’2
Benoit 6’4. Hakanpa. 6’7

Would be amazing if healthy and this is actually who oel is.

He looks like a No 1 D out there. Of course that’s not likely to remain the case but if he is a legit second pairing D that would be amazing

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
There's no way he is "only" 6'2... the guy looks huge out there.

Small sample size, but he's looked like the best D man I've seen on the Leafs in my life time.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not just GMs, there is a group that is like that with certain players as well.
I just treat it as comedy relief.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Honestly he looks like our best D.

Rielly 6’1. Tanev 6’2
OEL 6’2. McCabe 6’2
Benoit 6’4. Hakanpa. 6’7

Would be amazing if healthy and this is actually who oel is.

He looks like a No 1 D out there. Of course that’s not likely to remain the case but if he is a legit second pairing D that would be amazing
OEL-McCabe and Rielly-Tanev both look like amazing pairs and it’s crazy what a difference that makes for our team. I like rooting for Benoit but similarly to last year he’s brutal without McCabe at his side, he’s been really sewering Timmins and Liljegren when he got a game. So many turnovers in his own zone. I think upgrading on him is imperative

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Right? I said from the beginning (check my past posts if you'd like) he was a great signing and I was defending the signing when everyone was complaining and losing their minds. Now everyone loves him.
F orever
O verthinking
O nly
L ight
S tickchecking defensemen will work

OEL-McCabe and Rielly-Tanev both look like amazing pairs and it’s crazy what a difference that makes for our team. I like rooting for Benoit but similarly to last year he’s brutal without McCabe at his side, he’s been really sewering Timmins and Liljegren when he got a game. So many turnovers in his own zone. I think upgrading on him is imperative
I think that's hasty. This is not EA Sports. He'll be given more of a chance.

Reactions: NJG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad