GDT: Leafs @ Sens - 7pm - TSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
If they are going to play Cowan on the 4th line to see if he can fit there they should just send him back to the Knights. It’s crazy to put a skill player on the 4th line during the regular season and expect him to excel. So if that’s what they are testing out tonight just send him back

How is he going to have a big game playing on the 4th line
Ottawas 4th line had a great game on Sunday.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm glad to see this lineup.

All of the defencemen that would have to pass thru waivers, along with forward Alex Steeves will play.

The only waiver-wire candidates not playing are Abruzzese and Murray.

It would be useful to have an early look-see on the players they will likely have to expose to waivers before decisions are made.

With injuries, there might be an opportunity for a little longer look as well.

The decisional timeline on waivers-exempt players is a bit more forgiving. The could bury them and then decide based on their play with the Marlies.

I quite agree that they should play Cowan as much as possible to figure out if he belongs in junior or the NHL. Last game, it looked more like junior than the NHL to me.

I'm really looking forward to watching Hildeby. For some reason, he gives me hope. Hoping for something in the vein of Henrik Lundquist -- but I'm an optimist.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If they are going to play Cowan on the 4th line to see if he can fit there they should just send him back to the Knights. It’s crazy to put a skill player on the 4th line during the regular season and expect him to excel. So if that’s what they are testing out tonight just send him back

How is he going to have a big game playing on the 4th line
I think Doug Gilmour played on checking lines with the St. Louis Blues for a few seasons before he was promoted to a scoring line.

I don't think that type of use is too bad for a young, skilled player, if it's treated as part of their overall development and if it doesn't hurt the team -- even for a smaller forward like Gilmour or Cowan.

Interested to see if Robertson's game has matured at all.
He needs to take charge.

Reactions: Buds17 and rumman

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
...a defensively responsible player, who can help other guys such as Nylander and Domi round out a line, plays PK well..... He isn't crap.. people look at points totals and forget there is more to this game.

If someone supplants him, in every way, I do hope they are open to replacing him though. But I'm not sure I've seen such a player yet.
Don’t care about his point totals. He’s a line killer. Any lines he’s on is instantly weak offensively. Sure he can PK but who cares our PK is a f***ing joke. He makes 2.5 mill. He’s so replaceable.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Robertson's dog on bone work ethic has always been visible. Even watching Boston series back, I would sit up and say whose that, when he got his rare shift. Keefe is just an idiot of a coach.

Berube praising work ethic and rewarding it, while also calling out the cute non-compete play of the certain "core" players is great. Hes slowly making it about the crest on the front again and making it known that everyone is important on this team. Berube has alot of damage to undo do but it's great to see.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
There is method to this what seems like madness.

IF Cowan makes the opening roster he will play as a 4th liner a brought along slowly. So watching him play in this role is key to making the NHL early.

There is no value playing him in a higher / offensive role in this exhibition games because he will not be used like that at the NHL at present.
I miss the days where rookies start on the 4th line and work their way up the line up. Can't play defensive hockey meant pretty much no future in the league............

Reactions: bax and Ciao

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
makes one wonder who said he was looking really good prior to camp?

Think sometimes you just have to big up a guy looking to get back on their feet. But Murray does run hot and cold/then injured so he’s just a high maintenance player.

Reactions: rumman

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Don’t care about his point totals. He’s a line killer. Any lines he’s on is instantly weak offensively. Sure he can PK but who cares our PK is a f***ing joke. He makes 2.5 mill. He’s so replaceable.
His cap hit is not $2.5 mil.

He was on the ice for 3.6 GF/60 last year. 5th highest of any Leafs player. He is NOT a line killer... backed by actual goals for. The lines he played on last year, were not weak offensively.

He was on the ice for 2.2 GA/60 last year. 3rd lowest of any mostly full time Leafs player.

We win the battle of scoring more goals for, than against, by a substantial margin when he's on the ice. He was the third best +- forward on the Leafs last year.

Sure, our PK is a joke, but maybe we shouldn't make it worse by removing more players who can play it... while our coaching staff tries and fix the systems, and better goaltending helps out.

You can create whatever narrative you want, and imagine it to be true, but it isn't, and it's easy to look up that your opinion is wrong.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Translation:

You work hard, but you also need to work smarter.

It’s always been Robertson’s issue, but how does he overcome it if you don’t play him consistently?

The mess we are in with Robertson originated with Keefe and stupid development stifling decisions like keeping Malgin over Robertson.

It’s now on Robertson to take the opportunity and never look back.

He put himself in the hot seat by asking for a trade. He now needs to show everyone what he can actually do, and not just what he thinks he can.

Berube may very well be the coach to get him there, but Robertson needs to grow between the ears to make it come together as well.

Pulling for him to put it together and earn his spot.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is the game tonight televised?
Ahem...

1727204064181.png

;)

Reactions: LeafalCrusader

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
There is method to this what seems like madness.

IF Cowan makes the opening roster he will play as a 4th liner a brought along slowly. So watching him play in this role is key to making the NHL early.

There is no value playing him in a higher / offensive role in this exhibition games because he will not be used like that at the NHL at present.
Maybe, but you do run the risk of stunting his development as a top 6 player.

Most guys come in and play around third line minutes, the only guy off memory is funnily enough a berube coached player in Jordan kyrou.

Robert Thomas, Wyatt Johnston, Kailer Yamamoto, Morgan Frost and I bet many others all played in that 13-14 minute range which I’d say is 3rd line minutes.

Having him play fourth line with presumably, kampf and Reaves/holmberg/dewar will limit him imo

I’m not sure how much we actually want Cowan to make the team if he isn’t absolutely blowing up.

If he came out of the gate like bat out of hell in game one on Sunday, scored a bunch, mixed it up and stood out, rinse and repeat over the next few then you’re kind of faced with the scenario that you can’t deny this kid. He’s getting a look.

If he’s just pedestrian, getting his feet wet, maybe you just leave him in the OHL to keep working on his development. Don’t think you can force feed it if he’s just okay.
I think you have to give him the chance to do that though, he played what 12-13 minutes last game with no pp time really? I’d have played him on the 2nd or 3rd line and given the second pp some time to see what he and others have to offer.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
...a defensively responsible player, who can help other guys such as Nylander and Domi round out a line, plays PK well..... He isn't crap.. people look at points totals and forget there is more to this game.

If someone supplants him, in every way, I do hope they are open to replacing him though. But I'm not sure I've seen such a player yet.

The biggest problem with Jarnkrok is he brings almost absolutely nothing in the playoffs. He brings value in the regular season for sure, but his whole career he disappears in the playoffs.

5 goals and 17 assists for 22 points in 93 career playoff games.

He averages 16 goals over 82 games in the regular season.

He averages 4 goals over 82 games in the playoffs.

While he does bring value in the regular season it's value we can live without. There's a chance whoever we replace him with for the season can contribute more in the playoffs.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
His cap hit is not $2.5 mil.

He was on the ice for 3.6 GF/60 last year. 5th highest of any Leafs player. He is NOT a line killer... backed by actual goals for. The lines he played on last year, were not weak offensively.

He was on the ice for 2.2 GA/60 last year. 3rd lowest of any mostly full time Leafs player.

We win the battle of scoring more goals for, than against, by a substantial margin when he's on the ice. He was the third best +- forward on the Leafs last year.

Sure, our PK is a joke, but maybe we shouldn't make it worse by removing more players who can play it... while our coaching staff tries and fix the systems, and better goaltending helps out.

You can create whatever narrative you want, and imagine it to be true, but it isn't, and it's easy to look up that your opinion is wrong.
You have your opinion I’ll have mine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad