GDT: Leafs @ Sens - 7pm - TSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kampf and Robertson better bring it tonight because there spots don't seem to be secure.

Pacioretty put on a show on Sunday, Robertson has to respond.

And Greb and Quillan are in again tonight they are looking for jobs too.

Cowan needs a big game if he wants to make the opening day

I don't think he's going to have that game playing on the 4th line

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Kampf and Robertson better bring it tonight because there spots don't seem to be secure.

Pacioretty put on a show on Sunday, Robertson has to respond.

And Greb and Quillan are in again tonight they are looking for jobs too.

I don't think he's going to have that game playing on the 4th line
Didn't the Sens 4th line get most of their points the other night?

Reactions: bax

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Doesn't seem like Berube got the memo of "Play the kids"

Playing Shaw, A, Nylander, Myers and Mermis over Kokkonen, Niemela, Abruzzese, Villeneuve, etc.

Nylander, Myers, Mermis, Mattinen are all guys who could see NHL time this year. It's smart for Berube to see them in action in the Preseason, and learn a little bit about their games.

I'd have to think that Niemela has a minor injury or something going on. Abruzzese won't grow beyond the AHL level IMO, so no loss. Kokkonen and Villeneuve likely get game three or four.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Doesn't seem like Berube got the memo of "Play the kids"

Playing Shaw, A, Nylander, Myers and Mermis over Kokkonen, Niemela, Abruzzese, Villeneuve, etc.
Mikko Kokkonen is listed on today's potential roster.

Other than perhaps Niemela, I don't see much potential future in the others you list.

There is a rule that teams have to play a roster with a minimum of NHL games in an exhibition so part of that list factors that in.

My main focus is those players (Cowan, Greb etc) that are ready to make the jump to the NHL in the near future allowing BT to trade off some dead weight vets blocking those spots.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Didn't the Sens 4th line get most of their points the other night?

Sure but the Sens 4th line are battling for exactly th, 4th line spots.

Cowan is a different level of prospect he's not battling for a 4th line spot.

He's looking to be higher-up the lineup.

He's not going to get that spot playing on the 4th line.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Mikko Kokkonen is listed on today's potential roster.

Other than perhaps Niemela, I don't see much potential future in the others you list.

There is a rule that teams have to play a roster with a minimum of NHL games in an exhibition so part of that list factors that in.

My main focus is those players (Cowan, Greb etc) that are ready to make the jump to the NHL in the near future allowing BT to trade off some dead weight vets blocking those spots.

"Play the kids... well, not ALL of them, just a couple, maybe a few out of the bunch."

You need a minimum of 8 NHL veterans on your roster in pre-season. Leafs are dressing 12 per the lines.

According to Section 15.4(a), a veteran is a player is any defensemen or forward who played 30 or more games in the previous season, a goaltender who was dressed in 50 or more games or played in 30 or more games in the previous season, a team’s first-round draft pick from the most recent year’s Entry Draft, or a player who has played in 100 or more games in the NHL in their career.

Nylander, Myers, Mermis, Mattinen are all guys who could see NHL time this year. It's smart for Berube to see them in action in the Preseason, and learn a little bit about their games.

I'd have to think that Niemela has a minor injury or something going on. Abruzzese won't grow beyond the AHL level IMO, so no loss. Kokkonen and Villeneuve likely get game three or four.

I don't disagree but it really doesn't sing that Berube is playing the kids at all lol

The majority of these fringe NHLers will be in the AHL as well. Abruzzese should get a shot regardless of his ceiling, he has some NHL and didn't look out of place. Logan Shaw is the Marlies captain but what a waste of time to give him a pre-season game.

They just sent down Chadwick before even giving him a game.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sure but the Sens 4th line are battling for exactly th, 4th line spots.

Cowan is a different level of prospect he's not battling for a 4th line spot.

He's looking to be higher-up the lineup.

He's not going to get that spot playing on the 4th line.
Exceling anywhere in the lineup will help his cause.
Looking at the lineup that may not even necessarily be the 4th line.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I don't think any of those guys are seeing any NHL time, but Mattinen is interesting to watch at least.

Every player has an easier path than Nylander who is currently on an AHL contract.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Not sure why Cowan is playing the 4th line again. Unless that is where they think he'll play if he were to make the team.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not sure why Cowan is playing the 4th line again. Unless that is where they think he'll play if he were to make the team.

More or less. Can he compete in a lesser role is basically the thought process.

The NHL lines are pretty much set outside of maybe 1 or 2 roster spots.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think the point of the post is that Murray had a rough outing last game because he has had no games and is coming off of major surgery, and that we should expect he will need a lot of time to get up and running.

Looked about as good as his teammates.

Leafs dressing:

2 NHL lines:
Knies - Kampf - A. Nylander
McMann - Holmberg - Robertson

1 NHL pairing:
Benoit - Timmins (okay1.5 NHL)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
"Play the kids... well, not ALL of them, just a couple, maybe a few out of the bunch."

You need a minimum of 8 NHL veterans on your roster in pre-season. Leafs are dressing 12 per the lines.

I don't disagree but it really doesn't sing that Berube is playing the kids at all lol

The majority of these fringe NHLers will be in the AHL as well. Abruzzese should get a shot regardless of his ceiling, he has some NHL and didn't look out of place. Logan Shaw is the Marlies captain but what a waste of time to give him a pre-season game.

They just sent down Chadwick before even giving him a game.

Robertson, Knies, Grebenkin, Webber, Cowan, Hirvonen, Kokkonen, Rifai, Hildeby, Steeves, Quillan all get games... but they aren't playing the kids???

Maybe Abruzzese gets a game later? Maybe we don't panic and get mad in the second game of pre-season? But to be bothered about Abruzzese... I mean really?

It would seem as though the staff has seen enough of Chadwick, and decided he's better off with his team in their training camp at this point. He's been given a list of things to work on, and sent off. Probably just not ready for NHL at this point.

""

It seems Niemela isn't hurt... maybe next game?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Robertson, Knies, Grebenkin, Webber, Cowan, Hirvonen, Kokkonen, Rifai, Hildeby, Steeves, Quillan all get games... but they aren't playing the kids???

Maybe Abruzzese gets a game later? Maybe we don't panic and get mad in the second game of pre-season? But to be bothered about Abruzzese... I mean really?

It would seem as though the staff has seen enough of Chadwick, and decided he's better off with his team in their training camp at this point. He's been given a list of things to work on, and sent off. Probably just not ready for NHL at this point.

""

Maybe? Maybe not? I'm not panic'ed or mad at all, just pointing out there isn't an emphasis on "playing the kids" and many players that could be playing aren't for a reason or another.

Robertson and Knies are considered "veterans" and Kokkonen isn't playing.

Abruzzese has been in the org for awhile and has played NHL games. I think he should get a shot over Logan Shawn in a pre-season regardless what you think of him, but again, maybe in another game he will.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

""

So can we extrapolate based on the line-up about Niemela?

Didn't play game 1, mostly vets.
Not playing game 2, which has 2 NHL defenders.

Is there something about health, or is considered somewhere between the 2 groups?

Looked okay in the prospects games.

Just a numbers game for he and Villeneuve?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
They'll surely be rolling all 4 lines tonight, I wouldn't worry about Cowan and Greb being nominally listed on the 4th.

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
They'll surely be rolling all 4 lines tonight, I wouldn't worry about Cowan and Greb being nominally listed on the 4th.

Cowan is slated for #1 PP and Greb #2 PP.

They will get some very nice usage in this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad