GDT: Leafs @ Sens - 7pm - TSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He looks good positionally, is his rebound control normally better? He hasn't been handling it well.

It didn’t jump out as huge problem to me… the context I remember him in was in clean up for Gibson after he’d get lit up in Anaheim, and didn’t jump out in Florida. Haven’t seen him in other stops.

Reactions: notbias

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I like that Tkachuk is embracing the Wilson role, I think he is super overrated, will have a couple of good seasons, and then end up being a 3rd liner with "leadership".

It didn’t jump out as huge problem to me… the context I remember him in was in clean up for Gibson after he’d get lit up in Anaheim, and didn’t jump out in Florida. Haven’t seen him in other stops.

1st game back, not judging anyone too much.

Positionally things will change for goalies and players, people will get up to speed, but ya, he seems calm and able to move half decent for his size.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That’s exactly it. When you drop pass on every transition play the opposition can just clog up the blueline entry, all the skaters on your team are standing around too… that’s when you need to mix it up so they can’t just play red rover. A dump in would initiate a long foot race with their D having to turn around very quickly too. But you have to be willing to pay the price to go retrieve the puck.

Doesn’t even have to be a dump and chase, I can remember a few entries where Nylander looked like he was going to do the drop and as soon as the other team committed to it he just turned on the jets and caught 3 of them flat footed and overcommitted. Even just a 70/30 split on drop pass vs aggressive skating entry would be enough to keep them guessing, having a 50/40/10 between the drop, skating, and dump and chase would probably get the PP at least average in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: TML Dynasty

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Doesn’t even have to be a dump and chase, I can remember a few entries where Nylander looked like he was going to do the drop and as soon as the other team committed to it he just turned on the jets and caught 3 of them flat footed and overcommitted. Even just a 70/30 split on drop pass vs aggressive skating entry would be enough to keep them guessing, having a 50/40/10 between the drop, skating, and dump and chase would probably get the PP at least average in the playoffs.

I posted this clip of a few zone entries we did in 2018.

Especially the first one with Rielly dropping it to Mitch and Mitch attacking the neutral zone with tons of speed, totally backed off the opposing defencemen and was able to get a clean dish off to Kadri along the boards.

This was about as clean of a zone entry you can get when it's drawn up like that and it was mostly due to Mitch's speed carrying the puck that pushed the Kings defence back and opened up space.

We haven't seen alot of these type of entries over the past few years.

Reactions: Martin Skoula

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
In limited minutes Cowan looks very tentative tonight for some reason. Not moving as fast as he usually does. Benoit showing some new parent no sleep rust out there. Alex Ny a couple good shots. I thought Mattinen and Myers were noticeable in a good way for the defence.

Reactions: SprDaVE

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Ok, a decent first period. Some mistakes, but some goods tiff too. I’m having trouble identifying all the names, new lenses next week, but some enthusiastic efforts by most, encouraging. Stolarz, big and calm. Uses his body well. All in all, we’re I Berube, I’d be calling attention to a few details, watch out for lazy play - penalties - and generally pat the boys for a good start.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
In limited minutes Cowan looks very tentative tonight for some reason. Not moving as fast as he usually does. Benoit showing some new parent no sleep rust out there. Alex Ny a couple good shots. I thought Mattinen and Myers were noticeable in a good way for the defence.

Benoit was awful and Mermis seems pretty slow. There's a huge lack of skill outside of Timmins right now on defense so plays aren't being made out of the zone.

For Cowan, I think the coach got in his head a bit. He's trying way too hard to make simple plays and it's not working. He needs to skate with the puck and make plays on the forecheck. I think being much heavier than he's ever been probably needs adjustment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad