Proposal: Leafs - Sabres

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
:leafs
Rasmus Dahlin
Peyton Krebs

:sabres
Mitch Marner (Extension in place with buffalo)
Morgan Rielly
2024 1st Round Pick

Let’s humour the delusion for a minute here. Dahlin is obviously not on the block, but if a deal is too good to pass up, anybody can get moved.

Leafs do this to get a young #1D on the back end locked up long term and get a young roster player with potential that hasn’t quite taken the next step yet.

Sabres take a lesser defensemen in return that’s been miscast in TO but can shelter the younger d core to some degree. They also get a talented winger in Marner that can form a dangerous top line with TT and get a 1st round pick to sweeten the pot.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
:leafs
Rasmus Dahlin
Peyton Krebs

:sabres
Mitch Marner (Extension in place with buffalo)
Morgan Rielly
2023 1st Round Pick

Let’s humour the delusion for a minute here. Dahlin is obviously not on the block, but if a deal is too good to pass up, anybody can get moved.

Leafs do this to get a young #1D on the back end locked up long term and get a young roster player with potential that hasn’t quite taken the next step yet.

Sabres take a lesser defensemen in return that’s been miscast in TO but can shelter the younger d core to some degree. They also get a talented winger in Marner that can form a dangerous top line with TT and get a 1st round pick to sweeten the pot.

Thoughts?
No thanks - not sure I want to spend 12 mil
On marner for an extension - our D is set top
3 not sure I want to mess with that and doesn’t making this trade just give Buffalo the same issue as the leafs? Too much money tied up in a scoring fwd taking away from the depth of the team?

I’d set my sights much lower on return - this is going to be your issue. Who is going to want to give up a ton for marner and then immediately pay him 12+ to keep him? No one with a right mind and good hockey dept - and there in lies your issue

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I’d rather keep Buffalo’s young defenders intact and let them get ice time together no need to add tons of salary.

Also the pick says 2023 that draft produced 13th overall pick Zach Benson for Buffalo.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
featured1.jpg

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hell no from a Leafs fan. What has Dahlin showed to be worth that? Puts up points on a run and gun Sabres team, soft as butter and can't defend for his life. Hard pass. Marner and Rielly +? Lmfao
what would you want for marner

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
what would you want for marner
A clean break most likely

He goes to where he can be a great player but not a "god" apparently

Seattle seems like a great fit

Bjorkstad + 2025 1st + 2024 rangers 2nd + 1 of Sale/Nyman/Goyette is the best trade I found with it being offered by Seattle fans

Marner wont work in Buffalo. He may or may not be willing to play there. But they are just a couple step behind leafs. High expectations and pressure there.

It would get ugly if he went and they couldnt win still and he was extended.

Seattle has the depth + quality defense and cap space to build a good team top to bottom where he can be a big piece who just goes and plays hockey

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Bjorkstad + 2025 1st + 2024 rangers 2nd + 1 of Sale/Nyman/Goyette is the best trade I found with it being offered by Seattle fans

Marner wont work in Buffalo. He may or may not be willing to play there. But they are just a couple step behind leafs. High expectations and pressure there
Ya curious to see what the leafs do... or if Marner will even waive... i mean he seems to like being a "god"

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ya curious to see what the leafs do... or if Marner will even waive... i mean he seems to like being a "god"
I hope we do the below:

1. A week prior to the draft tell him he want to see what he wants for this last year? Is he committed to toronto. If he is then offer 8 years 10M with 10 team trade list He takes a discount and restores some of his lost reputation if he signs. I expect he laughs due to self belief he is better than this and says no

2. If he says no to discount deal, then ask him for 10-15 team trade list he is fine to be dealt to and we will try out best to accomodate a deal between now and first few days of UFA in July. If he declines waive his NMC then you go to below.

3. Leak to major media sources that marner isnt going to sign an extension with the leafs and wont waive his NMC. It will create pressure on him and make him uncomfortable. Marner doesnt like that type of setting and it likely leads to him accepting his NMC being waived

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Ya i was specifically asking about what you want for marner? or would you like to keep him?

Id take Dahlin over rielly pretty easily personally but not the point

I'm not expecting a huge return for Marner. My issue is Marner + our best D + our first. Just a laughable package.

Marner trade protection is what it is right? Likely not going to be his full value

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Hell no from a Leafs fan. What has Dahlin showed to be worth that? Puts up points on a run and gun Sabres team, soft as butter and can't defend for his life. Hard pass. Marner and Rielly +? Lmfao
Tells me you know nothing about Dahlin by what you are saying - have you even watched him play?? Laughable
Did you watch game 7 buddy? Your boy Reilly got torched on the winning goal with a half effort - not with Dahlin …where do the leafs fans get these guys

Reactions: dukeofjive

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

Marner wont work in Buffalo. He may or may not be willing to play there. But they are just a couple step behind leafs. High expectations and pressure there.

It would get ugly if he went and they couldnt win still and he was extended.

Seattle has the depth + quality defense and cap space to build a good team top to bottom where he can be a big piece who just goes and plays hockey
As a Seattle fan I’m not giving up bjorkstrand on a good salary and as the best player on the team for marker. You can have burakovsky - we still need to pay marner and it needs to be an add on to the team - getting rid of bjorkstrand defeats that. Needs to be more future and less core based

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I'm not expecting a huge return for Marner. My issue is Marner + our best D + our first. Just a laughable package.

Marner trade protection is what it is right? Likely not going to be his full value
“Our best D” doesn’t say much. On a deep team he’s probably a #3. Dahlin is a borderline franchise level defensemen. Gotta give to get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad