Line Combos: Leafs Roster Fun

4thlineGrind

Mar 18, 2014
We are trying to improve our hockey team. To even mention Vanek is a complete joke. Did anyone watch him in the playoffs?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
What's wrong with having a 7th D? Spott doesn't think Brennan is a defensive liability.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...portunity-with-leafs-despite-lighting-up-ahl/

Read the very last sentence. You could also bury Gleason and bring up MacWilliam.

Why Gibson over MacIntyre?

He was -10 on a good team...Granberg was a plus 19...5 on 5 clearly Granberg is getting the job done more, Brennan obviously is helping the marlies PP a ton, Granberg is helping there PK a lot... you tell me, what needs more help our #4 ranked pp or our like 26th or whatever it was ranked PK... Granberg helps the PK, Brennan would help our PP, if he could even make it over Gards Rielly and Phaneuf... which he would not. And at even strength clearly Granberg is the superior player playing against tougher matchups then Brennan and coming out plus 19 where Brennan comes out -10.

mikebel111*

Brennan is a terrible replacement for Dion, and I like TJ

please just stop

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
This is how i see things for next year:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel (Dont think we are getting a legit 1c unless Kessel gets moved this off season)

Lupul-Kadri-Leivo/??(pretty average 2nd line but our good pffensive 1st and 3rd line along with good offensive d men and a highly ranked PP should make up for it)

Holland-Bolland-Clarkson(this line would score a lot for a 3rd line)

D'amigo-Mcclement-Bodie
Ashton

Unless we deal like Franson/Reimer for that 2nd line RW or sign one i think Leivo could play there and score 18 goals. Also our draft pick could potentially play 2nd line RW.

Rielly-Phaneuf(lots of shifts with Kessel line, Rielly helps Phaneuf play more shifts with the puck then without it)

Gardiner-???(cant be Franson)

Gunner-Granberg/Holzer( Shutdown pair, plays against top lines and spends all of there focus and effort on shutting down top players)

Gleason 7th d man

Call ups: Percy/Finn/Macwilliam/Holzer

Unless were getting a young 1C i dont see moving Phaneuf being a great move...And i dont see Lups getting moved unless it really improves our future...Kadri and Gards should stay.. I think what we have to focus on is getting a partner for Gardiner on a second pair. Rielly-Phaneuf is a solid pairing moving forward, and it doesnt have to be a shutdown pairing neither guys are shutdown d men at heart, Gunner and Granberg are.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
^^^ ya.. .that's pretty much how i see things too. only question is whether we want to sign bolland or sign a winger and use holland as our center. personally, i'd rather sign a more skilled winger and let bolland play somewhere else unless bolland wants to sign for cheap on a short term deal (which i don't expect him to do).

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I never actually suggested Brennan become a direct replacement. Gardiner gets Phaneuf's minutes, Rielly gets Gardiner's minutes and Brennan fills the hole created.

I have Franson traded and Gleason buried as well in favour of Granberg and MacWilliam. Ranger gives us a 7 man D roster.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
This is how i see things for next year:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel (Dont think we are getting a legit 1c unless Kessel gets moved this off season)

Lupul-Kadri-Leivo/??(pretty average 2nd line but our good pffensive 1st and 3rd line along with good offensive d men and a highly ranked PP should make up for it)

Holland-Bolland-Clarkson(this line would score a lot for a 3rd line)

D'amigo-Mcclement-Bodie
Ashton

Unless we deal like Franson/Reimer for that 2nd line RW or sign one i think Leivo could play there and score 18 goals. Also our draft pick could potentially play 2nd line RW.

Rielly-Phaneuf(lots of shifts with Kessel line, Rielly helps Phaneuf play more shifts with the puck then without it)

Gardiner-???(cant be Franson)

Gunner-Granberg/Holzer( Shutdown pair, plays against top lines and spends all of there focus and effort on shutting down top players)

Gleason 7th d man

Call ups: Percy/Finn/Macwilliam/Holzer

Unless were getting a young 1C i dont see moving Phaneuf being a great move...And i dont see Lups getting moved unless it really improves our future...Kadri and Gards should stay.. I think what we have to focus on is getting a partner for Gardiner on a second pair. Rielly-Phaneuf is a solid pairing moving forward, and it doesnt have to be a shutdown pairing neither guys are shutdown d men at heart, Gunner and Granberg are.

I like that roster okay if Phaneuf stays. If not, Gards gets Phaneuf's minutes and Brennan comes up is how I see things. Remember I had Phaneuf traded.

Gardiner-Gunnar
Rielly-Ranger
Brennan-Granberg
MacWilliam

Gleason is buried

LOTS of sandpaper on that back end.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
^^^ ya.. .that's pretty much how i see things too. only question is whether we want to sign bolland or sign a winger and use holland as our center. personally, i'd rather sign a more skilled winger and let bolland play somewhere else unless bolland wants to sign for cheap on a short term deal (which i don't expect him to do).

Remember Carlyle is a matchups coach... Holland is a good enough passer to play up the middle, but Bolland plays such a solid two way game and plays the middle of the ice so well. Guy is a terrific competitor and a veteran who knows how to win and wants to win in Toronto, obviously he wants big bucks, but carlyle is gonna want Bolland centering the 3rd line over Holland by a long shot obviously.

Bolland is a huge piece to our team, hes our shutdown C unless we replace Bozak on the 1st line and put Bozy on the 3rd, which i dont see happening. Hollands not a shutdown C as much as people like to believe he is, hes a offensive player, his two way game isnt bad though.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I like that roster okay if Phaneuf stays. If not, Gards gets Phaneuf's minutes and Brennan comes up is how I see things. Remember I had Phaneuf traded.

Gardiner-Gunnar
Rielly-Ranger
Brennan-Granberg
MacWilliam

Gleason is buried

LOTS of sandpaper on that back end.
This is an awful blue line... Just awful.

You really want to see Gardiner playing against Ovi Giroux Crosby every game? Thats a disaster. Ranger and Rielly would not be able to handle 2nd lines that well either.

Brennan was a -10 in the AHL like i said, he may help our 2nd PP unit but hes not a good fit. Wont help 5 on 5 or PK our biggest issues from our blue line, we have a great blue line already for PP production.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
This is an awful blue line... Just awful.

You really want to see Gardiner playing against Ovi Giroux Crosby every game? Thats a disaster. Ranger and Rielly would not be able to handle 2nd lines that well either.

Brennan was a -10 in the AHL like i said, he may help our 2nd PP unit but hes not a good fit. Wont help 5 on 5 or PK our biggest issues from our blue line, we have a great blue line already for PP production.

How did Brennan do in the Playoffs. He has Spott's vote of confidence and that's good enough for me.

Gardiner actually took over top minutes down the stretch and handled it just fine, when partnered with Gunnar.

Phaneuf meanwhile when partnered with Gleason became godaweful deffensively. What does that tell you?

Its also a starting point. I also suggested we acquire a vet D like Boyle for 2 years. It would now become something like:

Gardiner-Boyle
Rielly-Gunnar
Brennan-Ranger/Granberg
Granberg/MacWilliam

MrDiddlez

Feb 26, 2014
Toronto
How did Brennan do in the Playoffs. He has Spott's vote of confidence and that's good enough for me.

Gardiner actually took over top minutes down the stretch and handled it just fine, when partnered with Gunnar.

Phaneuf meanwhile when partnered with Gleason became godaweful deffensively. What does that tell you?

Its also a starting point. I also suggested we acquire a vet D like Boyle for 2 years. It would now become something like:

Gardiner-Boyle
Rielly-Gunnar
Brennan-Ranger/Granberg
Granberg/MacWilliam

The AHL does not equal the NHL.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
That's why Brennan is a top pairing D in the AHL and a bottom pairing D on my roster.;)

No he wasn't, he was on your mock 2nd unit with Ranger, remember?...And getting back to your response to my original post, do you really think that Gardiner-Rielly have the ability as a 1st unit at this time in their careers to shut down all of the other teams top lines in perpetuity?

You're setting them up for failure and then you've awoken the ****tard contingent of this fanbase to give them the Bryan McCabe/Larry Murphy treatment night in night out. At this stage, it would be conducive for both of their careers to have them paired up with minute eating seasoned veterans as their D partners, not each other.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
No he wasn't, he was on your mock 2nd unit with Ranger, remember?...And getting back to your response to my original post, do you really think that Gardiner-Rielly have the ability as a 1st unit at this time in their careers to shut down all of the other teams top lines in perpetuity?

You're setting them up for failure and then you've awoken the ****tard contingent of this fanbase to give them the Bryan McCabe/Larry Murphy treatment night in night out. At this stage, it would be conducive for both of their careers to have them paired up with minute eating seasoned veterans as their D partners, not each other.

Check my Capgeek roster, I posted two of them on the first page. Brennan-Ranger were 2nd PP only. Grads and Rielly 1 PP, NOT even strength. I've awoken nothing. You need to read a post correctly.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
JVR- Stastny - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Leivo
Holland - Bozak - Clarkson
Daimgo - Carrick - Ashton

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner. - Granberg
Gunnersson. - Percy
Gleason

Bernier
Mac

Let Bolland, Mclement, Kulemin, Franson Ranger go
Trade Reimer
Sign Stastny
Insert some talented youth

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
JVR- Stastny - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Leivo
Holland - Bozak - Clarkson
Daimgo - Carrick - Ashton

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner. - Granberg
Gunnersson. - Percy
Gleason

Bernier
Mac

Let Bolland, Mclement, Kulemin, Franson Ranger go
Trade Reimer
Sign Stastny
Insert some talented youth

Do we have cap room for that roster?

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Do we have cap room for that roster?

I would think we save a ton. Letting Bolland, Kulemin, Franson, Ranger, Mclement go. That's a huge chunk.

Granberg, Percy, Leivo, Ashton Carrick, Daimgo all cheap contracts

Use some cap to sign Stastny

Trade Reimer for a pick, save another couple mill there

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I would think we save a ton. Letting Bolland, Kulemin, Franson, Ranger, Mclement go. That's a huge chunk.

Granberg, Percy, Leivo, Ashton Carrick, Daimgo all cheap contracts

Use some cap to sign Stastny

Trade Reimer for a pick, save another couple mill there

I'd keep Ranger over Gleason and Bring up Brennan over Percy, but with those two adjustments and provided we could sign Stastny and stay under cap, I could live with that roster. I'm not sure about Carrick over Smith either, but that's not a huge issue.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
MY :leafs off season plan

It all starts with the draft, we have the 8th pick... Most people wanna move up obviously.. But i dont think its worth moving assets to move up in this draft, theres a reason Florida and other teams are willing to move down to 8... the talent difference between 1-8 is minimal...Ehlers and Nylander have as much skill as the top guys in the draft, if not more.. They are just smaller and probable wingers.

I say we sit pretty we are in a really good spot in this draft, we are set up to scoop a real nice faller or just get Ehlers Nylander or Ritchie where we are sitting.

Ill say we get Nylander because thats who im hoping for, gamebreaking skill, he would soon become our second best forward offensively. We gotta keep adding skill.

so at 8 leafs draft William Nylander.

Off season moves...

trade 1:

To :blues

Dion Phaneuf
Connor Brown
James Reimer
rights to Kulemin

To :leafs
Kevin Shattenkirk
Patrick Berglund

Trade 2:

To :nucks
Joffrey Lupul
Stuart Percy
Cody Franson

Kevin Bieksa
2nd round pick 2014

Yes we move out two prospects we would rather not Brown and Percy, but you have to give to get, and we have a ton of young players i dont know if Brown and Percy would ever make it out alive in our system.

Re Sign:
Dave Bolland 3 years 4 mil per
Troy Bodie 1 year 1 mil

Let walk:
Mason Raymond
Jay Mcclement

Lets not resign Komarov for 2 mil per season... Lets just let Ashton and D'amigo and Bodie play 4th line wing roles, they have earned it and can bring what Komarov does for cheaper.

Sign UFA Goaltender Devan Dubnyk as a backup.. He had a bad year but he could run with the ball if Bernier goes down potentially.

In the UFA market for palyers, we dont need any big signings just sign depth AHL players that can be called up on emergency's, like Trevor Smith types.

Roster:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Berglund-Kadri-Nylander/Leivo(probs Nylander)
Holland-Bolland-Clarkson
Ashton-Carrick-D'amigo
Bodie

Rielly-Bieksa
Gardiner-Shattenkrik
Gunnarsson-Granberg/HOlzer
7th d-Gleason

Goalies: Bernier, Dubynk.

In the Pipeline we still have: Gauthier, Finn, Verhaghe, Mckegg, Leivo, Biggs, Ross and we get a 2nd round pick from the Vancouver deal.

I think this is the ideal off season makes us a good team next year and in the future. Maybe not a cup winning team yet but when Rielly Gardiner Kadri and Nylander start to blossom this is a very very good team that can contend.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
MY :leafs off season plan

It all starts with the draft, we have the 8th pick... Most people wanna move up obviously.. But i dont think its worth moving assets to move up in this draft, theres a reason Florida and other teams are willing to move down to 8... the talent difference between 1-8 is minimal...Ehlers and Nylander have as much skill as the top guys in the draft, if not more.. They are just smaller and probable wingers.

I say we sit pretty we are in a really good spot in this draft, we are set up to scoop a real nice faller or just get Ehlers Nylander or Ritchie where we are sitting.

Ill say we get Nylander because thats who im hoping for, gamebreaking skill, he would soon become our second best forward offensively. We gotta keep adding skill.

so at 8 leafs draft William Nylander.

Off season moves...

trade 1:

To :blues

Dion Phaneuf
Connor Brown
James Reimer
rights to Kulemin

Kevin Shattenkirk
Patrick Berglund

Trade 2:

To :nucks
Joffrey Lupul
Stuart Percy
Cody Franson

Kevin Bieksa
2nd round pick 2014

Yes we move out two prospects we would rather not Brown and Percy, but you have to give to get, and we have a ton of young players i dont know if Brown and Percy would ever make it out alive in our system.

Re Sign:
Dave Bolland 3 years 4 mil per
Troy Bodie 1 year 1 mil

Let walk:
Mason Raymond
Jay Mcclement

Lets not resign Komarov for 2 mil per season... Lets just let Ashton and D'amigo and Bodie play 4th line wing roles, they have earned it and can bring what Komarov does for cheaper.

Sign UFA Goaltender Devan Dubnyk as a backup.. He had a bad year but he could run with the ball if Bernier goes down potentially.

In the UFA market for palyers, we dont need any big signings just sign depth AHL players that can be called up on emergency's, like Trevor Smith types.

Roster:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Berglund-Kadri-Nylander/Leivo(probs Nylander)
Holland-Bolland-Clarkson
Ashton-Carrick-D'amigo
Bodie

Rielly-Bieksa
Gardiner-Shattenkrik
Gunnarsson-Granberg/HOlzer
7th d-Gleason

Goalies: Bernier, Dubynk.

In the Pipeline we still have: Gauthier, Finn, Verhaghe, Mckegg, Leivo, Biggs, Ross and we get a 2nd round pick from the Vancouver deal.

I think this is the ideal off season makes us a good team next year and in the future. Maybe not a cup winning team yet but when Rielly Gardiner Kadri and Nylander start to blossom this is a very very good team that can contend.

Woah there, not so fast on Brown. He may very well become our Datsyuk. Carrick or McKegg perhaps. Gauthier or Verhaeghe perhaps. Biggs.

At least give Brown a season and see what we have (currently the OHL's most outstanding player) before possibly trading him away. Him, Finn and Bibeau are this year's batch of juniors you absolutely hold onto.

mikebel111*

Woah there, not so fast on Brown. He may very well become our Datsyuk. Carrick or McKegg perhaps. Gauthier or Verhaeghe perhaps. Biggs.

At least give Brown a season and see what we have (currently the OHL's most outstanding player) before possibly trading him away. Him, Finn and Bibeau are this year's batch of juniors you absolutely hold onto.

Agree. Not trading Conner

honeynutichiros

Jul 16, 2011
2014 2015 leafs (My arm chair version)

my theoretical off season moves
-resign Gardiner and Franson to bridge deals (I guessed at the money)
-couple of FA pickups
moulson (maybe a 4 year deal) I happen to think he is underrated, the guy is a proven 30 goal guy
Ott (2 or 3 years) I think he would be a great fit and bring a real physical presence to the third line
johnson I think he is one of many reliable backups that will be available

move reimer for a pick at the draft (maybe a second rounder?)
I like Bolland and Kulemin but if the reports of Bolland wanting 5 mil are true I think you have to walk away
Kulemin plays a solid 2 way game but at 3 mil I would pass
I would bring back Komorov as well for about 1.5 to max 2 mil if he signs in that range (dump McClement)
I think you need a couple of open spots for some of the Marlies to make the jump up front

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m)
Tyler Bozak ($4.200m)
Phil Kessel ($8.000m)

Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m)
Nazem Kadri ($2.900m)
Matt Moulson ($5.133m)

Carter Ashton ($0.851m)
Steve Ott ($3.500m)
David Clarkson ($5.250m)

Jerry D'Amigo ($0.851m)
Jay McClement ($1.500m)
Colton Orr ($0.925m)

injury call ups
Josh Leivo ($0.793m)
Peter Holland ($0.851m)
Spencer Abbott ($0.715m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m)
Cody Franson ($3.500m) / Jake Gardiner ($2.750m)
Morgan Rielly ($0.894m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Paul Ranger ($1.000m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
Chad Johnson ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,161,500; BONUSES: $982,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): -$61,500

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The reason we want to move up.

We don't need no more stinkin wingerz! The cost to move up this year is less than other years. We need to make a move to get A quality C if it is there. They say you cant go wrong with the top 4 this year. In other words if a quality C drops to a spot we can get for the right price we need that move. This team has spun its wheels without a number one C,D and it is the cornerstone to a cup team.We also need size for our top 6, we have skill on the wings.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
my theoretical off season moves
-resign Gardiner and Franson to bridge deals (I guessed at the money)
-couple of FA pickups
moulson (maybe a 4 year deal) I happen to think he is underrated, the guy is a proven 30 goal guy
Ott (2 or 3 years) I think he would be a great fit and bring a real physical presence to the third line
johnson I think he is one of many reliable backups that will be available

move reimer for a pick at the draft (maybe a second rounder?)
I like Bolland and Kulemin but if the reports of Bolland wanting 5 mil are true I think you have to walk away
Kulemin plays a solid 2 way game but at 3 mil I would pass
I would bring back Komorov as well for about 1.5 to max 2 mil if he signs in that range (dump McClement)
I think you need a couple of open spots for some of the Marlies to make the jump up front

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m)
Tyler Bozak ($4.200m)
Phil Kessel ($8.000m)

Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m)
Nazem Kadri ($2.900m)
Matt Moulson ($5.133m)

Carter Ashton ($0.851m)
Steve Ott ($3.500m)
David Clarkson ($5.250m)

Jerry D'Amigo ($0.851m)
Jay McClement ($1.500m)
Colton Orr ($0.925m)

injury call ups
Josh Leivo ($0.793m)
Peter Holland ($0.851m)
Spencer Abbott ($0.715m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m)
Cody Franson ($3.500m) / Jake Gardiner ($2.750m)
Morgan Rielly ($0.894m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Paul Ranger ($1.000m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
Chad Johnson ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,161,500; BONUSES: $982,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): -$61,500

I think there is very little chance that they go into next season without making any changes to the Defense.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I think there is very little chance that they go into next season without making any changes to the Defense.

Agreed. At the very least I see Franson and his RFA rights traded and Gleason buried to make room for a couple Marlies if Phaneuf isn't traded. That would get his roster under the cap, too.

Also, I don't think Ott and Gleason would play too nice together.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad