Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Justin Holl -- 3 years 2M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Talk about working your ass off, always being written off, and now you're financially set for life.

Gotta love that for the guy.

Reactions: Smif

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He's been doing his job at his end of the ice. Great +/- good signing. Dubas avoiding any future headaches, ensuring they can ice a competent team any night.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I think Dermott should become better, but he's RFA and hasn't really taken that step we want to see.
IMO, Leafs aren't bringing back the same group of defenders next year.

Just quickly throwing this here ...

Barrie and Ceci will be gone, that's $7.25mm out.

Muzzin hasn't earned a raise if he is brought back, but give him an extra $1mm.
Liljegren will be in the line-up, $863k in.
Sandin a good possibility, $894k in.
Holls increase, $1.375mm in.
Dermott? I wouldn't pay him as much as Carlo, but give him a $2mm raise.

Around $6.1mm in, and $7.25mm out.

Now if they move on from Muzzin and go big game hunting a forward is going to have to be moved. Muzzin and Johnsson would give them $7.mm.
While I agree Dermott hasn't quite taken that step yet, he's still a pretty important piece and will only get better. I can see him getting at least 2, I mean he's already at 863k. The Leafs have around 11 million to spend next summer which already includes the Holl contract. They still have to round out their bottom 6 and re-sign the likes of Mikheyev(925k), Envgall(925k) , Timashov(694k), and Gauthier (675k) while also needing to bring in a back up goalie. So you can see that 11 million start to chip away . I don't want to sound like I'm saying the Leafs should nickel and dime the bottom 6 guys, but lets say they re-sign them at their current cap hit or replace them with similar, you're looking at around 8 million and that's without Dermott , Muzzin, and or Barrie signed with the Leafs. The D-Core looks like it will take a hit next season, and I'm not sure we should have 2 rookies on the roster when it wouldn't hurt Sandin to stay in the AHL for another year. Things will be tight for sure and its looking more likely that Barrie and or Muzzin will go unless a major move happens. I do agree Muzzin wont command much but he cuts the cap space in half if re-signed

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
he stuck with us didnt ask for a trade after getting exiled to the press box. improved leaps and bounds and signed with us at a decent price for a bottom 6

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
This article indicates the savings after all expenses is about 24% of their original contract.

How much does an NHL player take home on a $1 million salary? Not as much you think - TheHockeyNews

This article is absolutely ludicrous:
1) $50,000 a year in rent and utilities? What idiot would pay that? Maybe towards a mortgage, otherwise find somewhere cheaper.
2) 25,000$ a year in car costs?? Or you could drive a 5 year old Toyota Corolla that costed you 10,000$ and you keep it for 5 years. And then pay 200-300 a month on insurance. And then some gas.
3) $3000 a month on food? And $3000 in entertainment??? I can respect more money on food because you need maximal nutrition but you can easily get that on $1000. And $3000 on entertainment??? How about $300. My goodness gracious.

This article absolutely wreaks of high end privilege. How about be an adult, think about your future and save/invest accordingly. I save about 20 percent of my income a year for my future: it’s not hard - be an adult and delay gratification.

If you are on a 1-year contract for 1 million and you don’t know your future, you save every penny you can, until you get a long-term contract. This isn’t rocket science.

Reactions: meng666

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I feel its a little bit high, he's only played 51 games in the NHL so far. Hes largely an unproven commodity and could end up being a difficult contract to move if he doesn't pan out. This also makes me worry a little about re-signing Dermott, who is younger, better and likely commands at least the same if not more. Hopefully it doesn't handcuff the Leafs too much in regards to bringing up Marlies to help round out the bottom pair

Better then the deal we gave Zaitsev after just one season lol

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I wished it was for 1.567.433.33.11
But I’m happy with it
Sorry I couldn’t stop myself
I just found it funny that some were happy but wished it was this or that ..
Like if we are privy or experienced or knowledgeable in the business
Sorry I always find those comments funny

No need to apologize its just a forum.:thumbu:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
$2m is awesome even if he was only a #6 dman. He has proven to be at least a #5 possibly able to cut it as a #4. This is a great deal.

Now offer michayev $2.5~ for 3 or 4 years. See if we can get him locked away. I’ve seen enough to be ok with michayev taking Johnson’s aav and moving johnsson to be honest

Reactions: weems

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
This article is absolutely ludicrous:
1) $50,000 a year in rent and utilities? What idiot would pay that? Maybe towards a mortgage, otherwise find somewhere cheaper.
2) 25,000$ a year in car costs?? Or you could drive a 5 year old Toyota Corolla that costed you 10,000$ and you keep it for 5 years. And then pay 200-300 a month on insurance. And then some gas.
3) $3000 a month on food? And $3000 in entertainment??? I can respect more money on food because you need maximal nutrition but you can easily get that on $1000. And $3000 on entertainment??? How about $300. My goodness gracious.

This article absolutely wreaks of high end privilege. How about be an adult, think about your future and save/invest accordingly. I save about 20 percent of my income a year for my future: it’s not hard - be an adult and delay gratification.

If you are on a 1-year contract for 1 million and you don’t know your future, you save every penny you can, until you get a long-term contract. This isn’t rocket science.
Also, they invest their money, RRSPs etc. Nobody in that bracket leaves it in their checking account and pays 50% income tax.

Reactions: DatSnipeMatthews

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Thinking this takes a big bargaining chip away from Dermott as Holl has played higher up the lineup than him all season.
Dermott at 4x2?

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
The article lacks consistency though, talking about Canadian taxes and Chicago and NY rents.
And 24% is after all expenses on a $1mm contract, and some of those amounts quoted are higher than necessary.
You don't double your expense because you double your contract, fixed costs are fixed costs, not based on how much you make.

It also assumes the player rents for 4k per month instead of buying and building equity. I'm sure somebody like Kessel made a bunch of money on his Toronto condo.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Also, they invest their money, RRSPs etc. Nobody in that bracket leaves it in their checking account and pays 50% income tax.
100% correct. They would shelter the heck out of the money given that they will not be making that much money when they are done playing.

On top of all of this, players are paid in US dollars and they get back a good portion of their escrow. Whomever wrote that article is not living in real life. How do the rest of us peasants live on middle-class income???

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Good signing. Smart to get this done before the end of the season and avoid losing him to an overpayment.

I would have said $1.75 - $1.8 m is a good deal for us. But ya, if he walks, he's probably getting the $2 m or more.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
If he keeps playing like this he is worth every penny if that $2 million per. Let's hope this isn't an aberration.
Even a bottom pairing gets 2 mill
Now we got 2 d men signed and dermott will get the same plus 1 of sandin or Lilly plus whoever we get in an asset for asset trade
NICE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad