Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign G Matt Murray (1 year, $875k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
If he has recovered well from surgery and he is 100% healthy, he may be our best goalie, so that's likely why they re-signed him.

I don't think he is getting back to his pre-injury self, but we can do a lot worse for our #3.

This seems like a 0 risk move with an insanely high upside.

It's a great signing, good job Tre.

They signed him for that reason - he's likely tp pass through waivers.

You're not going to be able to sign a high quality player to be the #3 regardless of the team, they're either vets not quite good enough to be a regular backup or an unproven prospect.

Murray at least has a track record that if he's healthy he's capable of playing well enough

Well then why did they bring the Russian kid over.

If they play Murray in the AHL he's taking time, well earned I might add, away from Hildeby and Akthyamov. They could lend him to another team I suppose. But why even sign him to begin with and not just offer a PTO to see how he performs after double hip surgery.

Nobody else in the league was gonna give him a contract

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
A lot better ones too. Jones for example.
This.

I believe Treliving convinced Murray to sit out last year on Robidas Island on LTIR and not play to help the Leafs locked in Cap Hell, and now rewarded him by giving him a chance to continue his career comeback at $875k league minimum salary.
Makes sense.

More goalie options thr better.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
For those who don't like this move, what exactly do you want for the #3 or 4 goalie in the organization? Because here's what I want:

- League minimum salary
- NHL experience
- Good teammate to mentor in the AHL
- Can clear waivers
- Any possibility of NHL upside is a plus

I think Murray checks every box. Maybe only Jones would be a better option, but who knows if he'd be willing to come back for league minimum? Maybe he's looking elsewhere. But Murray wants to be here.

If he's properly recovered, he could potentially start an NHL game when needed. But if not, he could just as easily disappear and wouldn't block a prospect from making progress.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
A great #3 I think. We have seen his healthy upside and its better than Jones. Between the 3 of them they should be able to handle 82 :)

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Keep them coming, half the roster 1M or less so we can afford crying Mitch! Leafs way !

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He had moments of dominance for us, even with bad hips. Not sure he will get a chance with us though, unless injuries to Woll or Stolarz. I could see teams taking a flyer on him on waivers. Especially Dubas...

They might but they also have to have the roster spot available to keep him if they claim him.

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
I think it's inevitable that we see a Stolarz and Hildeby tandem. Murray and Woll are both so injury prone.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

1723511656220.png

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What does Mitch have to do with the AAV of our 3rd string goalie?
It’s just simpleton froth. If anything Matthews and Nylanders overpaid bumps this year will have a much greater impact on the cap.

Ad

Ad

Ad