Leafs Power Play

rutz

Aug 1, 2022
Once again the Leafs do not have a threat from the point with a boomer shot. Putting out Rielly is not the answer as proven year after year failing in the playoffs to score on PP.Opposition teams PK know exactly what the Leafs are trying to do considering it is the same 5 players on PP1. Maybe OEL should be given a shot on PP1 instead of Rielly but even this substitution doesn't address the fact the Leafs do not have a true #1 defenceman. I like Tre bringing in Tanev and OEL but hopefully he can adress this at the trade deadline but if not for sure next season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Once again the Leafs do not have a threat from the point with a boomer shot. Putting out Rielly is not the answer as proven year after year failing in the playoffs to score on PP.Opposition teams PK know exactly what the Leafs are trying to do considering it is the same 5 players on PP1. Maybe OEL should be given a shot on PP1 instead of Rielly but even this substitution doesn't address the fact the Leafs do not have a true #1 defenceman. I like Tre bringing in Tanev and OEL but hopefully he can adress this at the trade deadline but if not for sure next season.
OEL and Knies should both replace Reilly and Marner on PP#1.

OEL gives the Leafs a solid point shot and Knies would be the net front presence to screen the goalie and keep the Dman occupied, playing a role similar to Zach Hyman does for the Oilers top PP unit.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
OEL and Knies should both replace Reilly and Marner on PP#1.

OEL gives the Leafs a solid point shot and Knies would be the net front presence to screen the goalie and keep the Dman occupied, playing a role similar to Zach Hyman does for the Oilers top PP unit.
We definitely need someone who will stand in the slot and screen the goalie!

I don't think it has anything to do with the physical abuse you take trying to screen, because I don't think JT is concerned about that. The problem to me is that he will slide off to the side looking for a tip-in or rebound, leaving a clean look for the goalie at both the passes and shots.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
We've been watching the exact same power play everyone else in the league uses for years.

They use the drop back pass as their primary entry method. Same as everyone else in the league. Once in the zone with possession they set up in a 1-3-1 formation.

Same as everyone else in the league.

It's a little less static this year with more rotation of bodies. Maybe a few more point shots instead of just trying to set Matthews up for the one timer. Otherwise it's the same five guys doing the same damn thing.

I can't see the difference can you see the difference.

They could easily have two equally effective power play units. All they would have to do is split up the core four. At least that would be a bit harder for the opposition to game plan against.

I don't know why they even bothered changing the special teams coach if they aren't gonna change anything else.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
How can so much talent have such a hard timing getting the puck over the blue line for so long.
And a third of time, I mean getting over their own blue line with control.
Its mind blowing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad