Post-Game Talk: Leafs Offense Flies High in Winnipeg | 6-3 Win

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Last night's game reminded me of an MMA fight where one fighter threw a lot more volume than the other, but most of his punches and kicks got blocked, parried, hit the guard,etc... whereas the other fighter threw a lot less volume but connected on a lot more strikes and did a lot more damage.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
People are looking for signs from universe in this game. But it's pointless. We will have to wait and see how this speedy team plays vs strongest teams in the east: Bruins, Wash and Tampa.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think he's been pretty horrendous this year defensively. Lots of bad reads and unforced giveaways. Barrie and Ceci aren't exactly stellar or ideal partners for him but still.

He's been injured since game 1 vs Boston of this regular season though so I have to keep reminding myself of this. This is probably the first time in the entire tenure Rielly has been a Leaf where I have been frustrated with him.
Fair assessment and echoed by others. I'm just not that down on his plat thus far

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
People are looking for signs from universe in this game. But it's pointless. We will have to wait and see how this speedy team plays vs strongest teams in the east: Bruins, Wash and Tampa.

Eh Boston isn't an issue right now, only time to worry about them is if the race gets tighter and/or we face them in the playoffs. The real threat now is Tampa, they are on a massive run themselves, and are on pace to finish higher in the division than we are, that team will be the real measuring stick when we face them in the reg season.

Reactions: glue

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I thought in last night's game the Leafs played poorly, but we're bailed out by goaltending again.

But this time, it was the Jet's goalies who bailed us out!

Reactions: FireBabcock

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I thought in last night's game the Leafs played poorly, but we're bailed out by goaltending again.

The advanced statistics and the eye test from my vantage point told a different story.

We were far from perfect, but we deserved the victory.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Eh Boston isn't an issue right now, only time to worry about them is if the race gets tighter and/or we face them in the playoffs. The real threat now is Tampa, they are on a massive run themselves, and are on pace to finish higher in the division than we are, that team will be the real measuring stick when we face them in the reg season.

Boston will be a threat come playoff time. Half of their core are ancient but they will fight. The recent streak may be a sign of time catching up with them at last, but may be just a temporary thing.
What I want to see is whether Keefe can create same penetration using team speed vs good defensive teams.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

leafs had 10 more “scoring chances” and double the high danger scoring chances.

We scored 6. Broissoit made about 3 great saves. Hellebuck on Matthews.

we had 2 posts and at least 2 missed open nets.
Leafs were the better team. Jets shot from anywhere

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Ignoring loser points, Boston went 15-14 over november and december.

They have been a .500 team for 2 months now that is hiding behind OT losses. This includes losses to wings, kings and devils . Sure you can say they don't give up and earn the extra point but a loss is a loss. The negative should outweigh the positives.

Boston doesn't deserve to have this measure of progress right now.

I am interested to see how we play against Caps and Bolts though.

Also, don't forget we smacked the Blues 5-2 during this run. They're better than Bruins and Tampa and perhaps even Washington at times.

Reactions: draeko17 and slozo

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Almost forgot to ask but did anyone else notice Willy's transformation when he realized it was Brooks that got the puck to him for the first goal? You could just see how genuinely happy it made him. I just love the vibe this team has right now.
I remember Keefe's first game against the Coyotes and he said his favorite thing was when he saw how happy the team was to see Barrie score his first goal. It's really such a great thing to see the team play for one another and genuinely care for their teammates

FireBabcock

Apr 21, 2019
Agree to disagree. Coaching doesnt have the great impact on player performance on the ice in professional sports as some people think it does. The Leafs players gave up on their coach and the coach gave up on the organization. Its always on the players to perform. You can have the greatest coach in the world, but if the players arent good enough or dont care enough it wont really matter. Also, if you have good players and a team that wants it, your coach can be mediocre and still win.
So a coach who motivated and can keep respect from his players is one who gets results?

Ya... No impact...

Reactions: kb, weems and glue

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
Boston will be a threat come playoff time. Half of their core are ancient but they will fight. The recent streak may be a sign of time catching up with them at last, but may be just a temporary thing.
What I want to see is whether Keefe can create same penetration using team speed vs good defensive teams.

So what they can throw punches? Highly overhyped TBH! The last 2 series (no I won't count the 2013 one) we took them to the brink each time, poor coaching and horrific PK'ing did us in each time. This time around? Assuming we face them, we now have a coach who excels at adapting, and our PK'ing has been a lot better.... I have no worries about Boston, none.

Reactions: kb

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
So what they can throw punches? Highly overhyped TBH! The last 2 series (no I won't count the 2013 one) we took them to the brink each time, poor coaching and horrific PK'ing did us in each time. This time around? Assuming we face them, we now have a coach who excels at adapting, and our PK'ing has been a lot better.... I have no worries about Boston, none.

We are talking about two different teams here. Previous playoff series do not matter. Bruins will adapt as well. They played in the cup finals just several months ago. How one can overhype that? They are a battle tested group who know how to play game number 7. Leafs are still a work in progress. They lost half of their dmen last summer and are going to lose more. Bruins keep their core. This winning streak is impressive, but people start planning the parade way too early.

Reactions: draeko17

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Babcock's son was absolutely terrific last night. The way he can separate his man from the puck is elite. He's still not on the same skill level as his linemates and sometimes still gets in the way but I wouldn't mind a Hyman type on every line with two skilled players.

He is like a Highwayman over there.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Despite the 48 shots by Winnipeg, many were from a distance that Andersson just picked off. Thought the Jets displayed little jam around the Leaf net.
Leaf advantage this year in the playoffs (in they make it) is coaching. Babcock was a terrible game manager who might have the deciding factor in the last two playoff series. Gotta believe the Leafs are much better with a thinking Keefe than the a coach who has set the game plan in July.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
We are talking about two different teams here. Previous playoff series do not matter. Bruins will adapt as well. They played in the cup finals just several months ago. How one can overhype that? They are a battle tested group who know how to play game number 7. Leafs are still a work in progress. They lost half of their dmen last summer and are going to lose more. Bruins keep their core. This winning streak is impressive, but people start planning the parade way too early.

You said Boston was a tough team, which implies they are overly physical which they aren't, and haven't been in several years. If by they are calm under pressure? For sure, that team doesn't waiver or flinch in high pressure situations such as the playoffs. You say Boston has kept their core? Well, so have we (Matthews, JT, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen), so, that point you made really holds zero water here. I have never said anything about planning a parade, I'm actually of the belief we still have a lot of ground to cover just to get to the playoffs, you can go back and read my previous posts about that if you like. My point is this, in a 7 game series against Boston this time around that I'm a lot more confident in our chances against them vs the previous years.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
You said Boston was a tough team, which implies they are overly physical which they aren't, and haven't been in several years. If by they are calm under pressure? For sure, that team doesn't waiver or flinch in high pressure situations such as the playoffs. You say Boston has kept their core? Well, so have we (Matthews, JT, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen), so, that point you made really holds zero water here. I have never said anything about planning a parade, I'm actually of the belief we still have a lot of ground to cover just to get to the playoffs, you can go back and read my previous posts about that if you like. My point is this, in a 7 game series against Boston this time around that I'm a lot more confident in our chances against them vs the previous years.

This year if we face Boston-

1- You won't see 3rd/4th line scrubs being used if we are down a goal, instead Keefe will adapt and couter with his skilled lines
2- You won't see stubborness, if Keefe feels the game is slipping he will call a time out right away
3- Special teams are much more aggressive, I don't think you will see passiveness on it. I can say this you won't see Zach f***in Hyman out there centering either unit.
4- Leafs will used their skilled lines heavily, think along the lines of 23-25 mins a night for each line (minus any time taken away from penalties)
5- What will be interesting is what Keefe will do to counter the Bergeron line. Does he use the Matthews line? JT one? Does he go back to the Hyman-JT-Marner line to shutdown the Berg line? I really have no clue which way he would go to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad