Leafs No Longer Keeping Facilities Open in Off Season:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
One thing a lot of people are missing is the fact that by limiting the Leafs to spend money off the ice, the League will in turn gets a bigger share in profit sharing from the Leafs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The League is weird. All it takes are a few owners with balls and threaten to start another Hockey League and leave the NHL.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
what a load of crap. It’s not like the Leafs are forcing players to go there and practice in the off-season; players do it voluntarily

absolute load of crap!

May be force the players to pay into hockey pool who play for tax haven states. If you want equality and fairness then let every player in the league have the same tax structure too then
You are damn right. Equalized tax factor over the complete numbers of the league.
We float these f****** corporate welfare bastards and they moan like entitled PR***s

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The League is weird. All it takes are a few owners with balls and threaten to start another Hockey League and leave the NHL.

Northern Hockey League. 7 Canadian teams + Hamilton and Quebec City, Detroit, Seattle, Minnesota, Detroit, Buffalo, New York, New York, Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Columbus.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I think quietly there is definitely resentment about the type of coin the Leafs can throw around off-ice, among other things. These two recent incidents are examples of that resentment bubbling to the surface. The Leafs have financial options available that most teams don't, and let's be honest, money has played a major factor in their turnaround. Enormous sums were spent on bringing in Shanahan/Lou/Babs, on player buyouts, on facilities for the players, etc to get us moving in the right direction. More recently, the ability of the Leafs to pay huge sums up front via signing bonus is not something every team can do either.

I don't think it's quiet

This "your money should help us but not you" sentiment is truly brain dead

Tell me how this brand of justice is significantly different than your brother smashing your Xbox because he didn't get to play it

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
So can the league make an adjustment for all the teams that play in no income tax states? Or are they just going to arbitrarily decide which inherent advantages are fair?
So the income tax benefits are not as big as most believe. It has the biggest advantage for Florida and Tampa as 45-46 of their 82 games are played in Florida. But there is a federal law in the US that states income tax is deducted based on where the income is generated.

What this means if that when players of Florida or Tampa play in New York for example, they have income tax deducted from their pay when they play there. I am not sure how this affects their salary when they play in Canada.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
So the income tax benefits are not as big as most believe. It has the biggest advantage for Florida and Tampa as 45-46 of their 82 games are played in Florida. But there is a federal law in the US that states income tax is deducted based on where the income is generated.

What this means if that when players of Florida or Tampa play in New York for example, they have income tax deducted from their pay when they play there. I am not sure how this affects their salary when they play in Canada.

True, but this is still a huge advantage for the Florida teams. I also believe that bonuses (which typically make up the largest portion of a star player's salary) are all taxed at the tax rate of the home state. On the Spittin' Chiclets podcast they talk about this all the time and it seems clear that a state/province's tax rate plays a role in a player's decision on where to sign.

It just seems so odd to me that the NHL is cracking down on this. The rule right now IS fair since all teams have access to this option, but the ones who don't deem it a necessary part of their operating budget choose not to use it. The league might as well crack down on the wealthier franchises with better access to more advanced statistical departments or large scouting networks. I really don't see the difference here.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
True, but this is still a huge advantage for the Florida teams. I also believe that bonuses (which typically make up the largest portion of a star player's salary) are all taxed at the tax rate of the home state. On the Spittin' Chiclets podcast they talk about this all the time and it seems clear that a state/province's tax rate plays a role in a player's decision on where to sign.

It just seems so odd to me that the NHL is cracking down on this. The rule right now IS fair since all teams have access to this option, but the ones who don't deem it a necessary part of their operating budget choose not to use it. The league might as well crack down on the wealthier franchises with better access to more advanced statistical departments or large scouting networks. I really don't see the difference here.
Are signing bonuses taxed at all?

Reactions: Primary Assist

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Are signing bonuses taxed at all?

Good question.

From Forbes: "Article XVI of the US-Canada tax treaty states that signing bonuses paid to a resident of the US by a Canadian team are taxed at 15% in Canada, and vice versa for US teams paying bonuses to Canadian residents." (John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract).

I think that basically any sort of income, from signing bonuses to playoff stipends to salary to sponsorship money, is all taxable.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Agreed, they need to have more backbone and say sorry were not breaking any
Honestly, I wish MLSE would throw their weight around a little bit. Imagine the NFL told this to the Cowboys, or something similar. Or the Yankees. It would never fly.
rules so we’re gonna keep doing it, you guys can’t just make up new rules as you go along.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Leafs should be dicks about this.

"Close" the training facility in the summer, and "rent" it out, to "select clientele", for $1 a day.
Anonymous clients haha yep. Just write it in to contracts that they get subsidized training

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Phoenix couldn't keep their facilities open. They had that MLSE money allotted to keeping Taylor Hall. Can't do both.

Reactions: Kurtz

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
So they can't open their doors in the off season because it upsets the rest of the league, they can't have ref's at their practices because "other teams can't do that too"??? Ridiculous. Shanahan needs to make a call here... whats next "league mandated prices on hot dogs?" No crowds outside at playoff games because some other teams just don't have enough fans?

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The NHL is so bush league and the sad part is it doesn't even know it.

Bettman's 32 team league has so many window dressing markets that seem to exist only for the league to puff its chest about how big it is, but are only financially viable by being propped up by big markets that gouge its fans. And now those teams are being handcuffed so they can't find innovative ways to reinvest and improve the product because the financial stability of the league is basically tofu.

But yes, can't wait to secure that 90s era US Cable deal and watch my Toronto Maple Leafs take on the Jacksonville Swamp Lizards in the first round of the 2030 Stanley Cup finals.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is just petty nonsense.

The league will likely waive Nashivilles cap recapture penalty for Weber, a contract blatantly circumventing the cap. Arizona flat out tested predraft prospects in dorect violation of league rules but apparently its the Leafs keeping the lights on over the summer at a rink and gym that required immediate action

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Have to love the NHL

You can't even open facilities if players want to train and make themselves better in the off-season

What's next? We start chopping off limbs if you want to add something to your offensive arsenal in the off-season as well? :laugh:

Wouldn't want anybody to gain an advantage through their own hard work and perseverance

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Whats absolutely hilarious about this is every single owner in the league (even those less weslthy teams) could easily keep their facilities open and running with a skelleton staff but are just too cheap to do so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad