Proposal: LEAFS MINOR "Tweaks"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
who would any of these guys bump out of our starting lineup? ...once Mikheyev is healthy, we need to lose a player already, and none of these guys would be better than anything we already have.

Yep. Obviously with how they're rolling, the Leafs don't need to make a trade. And once Mikheyev is back, the forward group will be pretty rounded out (Ritchie probably should be moved to the press box in that case...)

If anything, the biggest need is an upgrade on Holl at RD.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Something to consider / realize....

Every player the Leafs add, means one must go out the door. In fact, Toronto is already over the cap if everyone gets healthy, and would either have to run a 21 man roster (6D), or waive Pierre Engvall. Now, come deadline, there may be a situation (like last year with Andersen hurt) that allows the Leafs to make additions knowing that they've got players on LTIR until the end of the regular season, but unless that happens, the Leafs have to look at it as player in - player out.

That being said, I think you can lump the suggested players into a few categories.

1 - Defencemen
I think many would agree that the Leafs could probably still use a Bogosian-replacement for their bottom pair. This might mean bumping Liljegren back to the AHL. In a less conventional way, the Leafs may consider swapping out a guy like Travis Dermott, who despite being quite solid and versatile, has been somewhat stuck in no mans land of development for the last little while. If looking at a guy on a 1-year deal, there may be the ability to use Dermott as a way to reduce cap hit so that the Leafs can have a 22-man roster.

I'm not so sure that Colin Miller brings much of anything different to the mix than Travis Dermott other than being from the Soo and having played for the greyhounds. He's been very irrelevant since moving to Buffalo. There's also the challenge of cap.. even at 50% retained, he's more expensive than Travis Dermott by $400k. That being said, the $400k difference could theoretically not matter, as the Leafs are over the cap by $400k, so whether you have a 21-man roster with 0 space, or $400k of space, doesn't really matter, given that neither is large enough to bring back Liljegren.

Justin Braun on the other hand could be a really interesting target. He's physical, has good size, and with retention, could represent a $600k cap savings on Dermott. Philly has all 3 retention spots open, so could be an opportunity to grab a young defenceman at a great value because of Toronto's highly specific circumstances.

2- Centres
Personally, I think the Leafs are actually pretty happy with what they've got at centre. If they lose a top 6 guy, they've got Kerfoot or even Spezza could theoretically step up. The only guy they're not really able to lose is Kampf given his utilization. Nick Bonino likely fits this role really well, but does have a 2-year deal, meaning it's unlikely the Sharks are going to retain. That puts him in a position of having to remove Ritchie from the lineup, and I'm not so sure the Leafs really want to do that.

For Cogliano or some of the other guys, maybe there's something to be done with Mikheyev and/or Engvall... but I think you're really splitting hairs.
I dont think the leafs honestly have to do much, and really not sure they can do much based on cap scenario.

But id say this for every top contender type team... it never hurts to add a physical 6-8 type guy, a player that you hope maybe you dont even have to rely on, but you have just incase... or someone that could potentially make someone like Holl that guy. And maybe a vet forward to rotate in the line up/locker room type guy(doesnt have to be a 1st for foligno type move, guys like cogliano/perry etc would do the trick and could be had for a lot less)

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
That’s not what he was comparing. He was saying better.
Well McDavid is better then Schultz. He is better because he provides a bigger impact to the game. Saying you can’t compare different positions is narrow sighted. That’s why there is analytics. If you hired an analytical department to compare Miller to Kerfoot they could determine who contributes more to a team not just by opinion but by formula.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would suggest you watch him more if this is your take. You don't need to want him on your team, but he is better than forwards that are currently playing on the Leafs. He is exactly what a cup team wants from their 4th line.

Who is he better than on the Leafs roster?

Matthews? No
Tavares? No
Marner? No
Nylander? No
Bunting? Nope and Bunting is cheaper
Kerfoot? Nope
Kase? Nope
Kampf? Nope Kampf has been incredible on the PK.
Engvall? this is probably the closest one but Engvall is providing more offense
Simmonds provides more offense for cheaper
Spezza provides more offense for cheaper.
Ritchie brings more size and offense even without a goal.
Mikyehev? nope
Clifford? Yes

Tyler Motte would be the 14th forward above Clifford

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I dont think the leafs honestly have to do much, and really not sure they can do much based on cap scenario.

But id say this for every top contender type team... it never hurts to add a physical 6-8 type guy, a player that you hope maybe you dont even have to rely on, but you have just incase... or someone that could potentially make someone like Holl that guy. And maybe a vet forward to rotate in the line up/locker room type guy(doesnt have to be a 1st for foligno type move, guys like cogliano/perry etc would do the trick and could be had for a lot less)

Forsure... the challenge, as you mentioned, is the cap scenario.

The Leafs do not have any waiver-exempt forwards. They have 2 waiver-exempt D, but one of them (Sandin) has really really good analytics, and this team loves analytics. The other (Liljegren) is former first rounder now in his 5th post-draft year. They don't want to send either of these players down.

If any of Mikheyev, Kampf, Engvall, Spezza, Simmonds, Kase, Dermott, Sandin, or Liljegren are on LTIR, then it allows them to maintain a 21-man roster (plus the injured guy), but does not allow them to make any sort of addition.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would be looking to add Justin Braun AND Keith Yandle

the defense has been really good but chances are the team that wins will need more than 6 d men and I don't either guy or a package including both will cost top assets.

I expect the asset cost would be reasonable

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Miller will cost you a 2nd+ Because of cap retrntion and no buffalo isn’t taking back Kerkrap or other spare parts. Buffalo likely resigns Pysyk.

Hinostroza cost probably a 5th.
Kerkrap? He would be your best forward, settle down.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I would be looking to add Justin Braun AND Keith Yandle

the defense has been really good but chances are the team that wins will need more than 6 d men and I don't either guy or a package including will cost top assets.

I expect the asset cost would be reasonable
Last I checked 7 is more than 6, there’s already 7 top 6 nhl D who all need playing time.
There’s an established veteran top 4 in place, and 3 youngish high pedigree (top 40 picks) guys who all need to play.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Miller will cost you a 2nd+ Because of cap retrntion and no buffalo isn’t taking back Kerkrap or other spare parts. Buffalo likely resigns Pysyk.

Hinostroza cost probably a 5th.

The Leafs wouldn't offer Kerfoot he has significantly more value than Miller

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I think Toronto has a lot of good depth and likes the guys they have, and like others have mentioned if someone comes in someone has to go out. I don’t really see them prioritizing the back end when it’s fairly obvious there’s already too many guys and not enough minutes to go around as is, and unless it’s some unrealistic unforeseen upgrade to Holl I don’t see anything happening on the back end. Maybe a Ben Hutton type for this season, whoever that is this year.
If they’re going to bother making a move it would probably happen at the upper middle of the line up. I see them looking for a guy to solidify the top 6/9 but probably top 6 on the left side.
People can yammer on here about how the leafs need tougher D and yadda yadda, it’s just not factual, since Keefe has taken over this has been an elite defensive team. Their downfall the last couple post seasons has had nothing to do with their defensive play, it had to do with goaltending and timely scoring.
the big guys didn’t produce as a whole nearly well enough and the other side got the timely stops Toronto didn’t get.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Last I checked 7 is more than 6, there’s already 7 top 6 nhl D who all need playing time.
There’s an established veteran top 4 in place, and 3 youngish high pedigree (top 40 picks) guys who all need to play.

Yeah but one of them is likely being traded shortly since Marzek is near a return

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad