Proposal: LEAFS MINOR "Tweaks"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
I dont know that the leafs need to / or can do something "major"

with that said - there may be some minor things that can be done that "go under the radar" which could also go a long way

rather than saying exactly what the trade should be - here are some players they could target
- obviously not all - but maybe 2-3 could tweak the lineup and give them more versatility at certain positions

From San Jose
- Nick Bonino and/or Andrew Cogliano

From Vancouver
- Tyler Motte

From Philadelphia
- Justin Braun and/or Keith Yandle

From Buffalo
- Colin Miller and/or Vinny Hinostoza

From Seattle
- Calle Jankrok

From New Jersey
- Miles Wood

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Tyler Motte is a potential target - He's a great 4th line player when healthy. I could see the Canucks trading him just to say they are "doing everything they can". I would hope for a young player back, not a mid round pick (I assume he's worth a 3rd roughly) because later round picks have a low percentage of success and typically take longer to develop. If you can get a player on an upward NHL development trajectory, I wouldn't be opposed.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
who would any of these guys bump out of our starting lineup? ...once Mikheyev is healthy, we need to lose a player already, and none of these guys would be better than anything we already have.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I dont know that the leafs need to / or can do something "major"

with that said - there may be some minor things that can be done that "go under the radar" which could also go a long way

rather than saying exactly what the trade should be - here are some players they could target
- obviously not all - but maybe 2-3 could tweak the lineup and give them more versatility at certain positions

From Buffalo
- Colin Miller and/or Vinny Hinostoza

Miller will cost you a 2nd+ Because of cap retrntion and no buffalo isn’t taking back Kerkrap or other spare parts. Buffalo likely resigns Pysyk.

Hinostroza cost probably a 5th.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Miller will cost you a 2nd+ Because of cap retrntion and no buffalo isn’t taking back Kerkrap or other spare parts. Buffalo likely resigns Pysyk.

We wouldn't trade kerfoot for Miller. Kerfoot has been excellent since last years playoffs. Only trade I can see is Mrazek to Buffalo for a 4th or 5th round pick.

Mar 14, 2011

Lol, Miller is a downgrade from Kerfoot so the Leafs wouldn't even be offering him. Maybe you had Kerfoot mixed up with Ritchie.

Cherry Picker

Sep 29, 2011
Wood is an intriguing add if he wasn’t out for the season. Beyond him, only Braun would be of interest. None of the other players listed offer a true upgrade to the roster

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Wood is an intriguing add if he wasn’t out for the season. Beyond him, only Braun would be of interest. None of the other players listed offer a true upgrade to the roster

Wood is definitely out for the season?

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
I think the Leafs only make moves with injuries.

Ultimately, if this team doesn't get past the 1st round, big moves need to be made anyway. Giving up assets for depth doesn't make sense for them if fully fit and performing well.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
All of those players would help in some capacity
- whether it be bumping a guy down or out
or
- providing depth

for example - as of right now the "weakest players IMO" for the forward group are
- Envall, Ritchie
= so if you can get 2-3 guys that can provide more versatility - you are doing your team a favour

for Defence - they are doing great (NOW) - but to be the "bottom 3" of Sandin, Holl, Liljegren/Dermott will need a boost
- while some may not think a Collin Miller or Braun is no better than those (IN THE PLAYOFFS - THEY WILL BE!!)

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Something to consider / realize....

Every player the Leafs add, means one must go out the door. In fact, Toronto is already over the cap if everyone gets healthy, and would either have to run a 21 man roster (6D), or waive Pierre Engvall. Now, come deadline, there may be a situation (like last year with Andersen hurt) that allows the Leafs to make additions knowing that they've got players on LTIR until the end of the regular season, but unless that happens, the Leafs have to look at it as player in - player out.

That being said, I think you can lump the suggested players into a few categories.

1 - Defencemen
I think many would agree that the Leafs could probably still use a Bogosian-replacement for their bottom pair. This might mean bumping Liljegren back to the AHL. In a less conventional way, the Leafs may consider swapping out a guy like Travis Dermott, who despite being quite solid and versatile, has been somewhat stuck in no mans land of development for the last little while. If looking at a guy on a 1-year deal, there may be the ability to use Dermott as a way to reduce cap hit so that the Leafs can have a 22-man roster.

I'm not so sure that Colin Miller brings much of anything different to the mix than Travis Dermott other than being from the Soo and having played for the greyhounds. He's been very irrelevant since moving to Buffalo. There's also the challenge of cap.. even at 50% retained, he's more expensive than Travis Dermott by $400k. That being said, the $400k difference could theoretically not matter, as the Leafs are over the cap by $400k, so whether you have a 21-man roster with 0 space, or $400k of space, doesn't really matter, given that neither is large enough to bring back Liljegren.

Justin Braun on the other hand could be a really interesting target. He's physical, has good size, and with retention, could represent a $600k cap savings on Dermott. Philly has all 3 retention spots open, so could be an opportunity to grab a young defenceman at a great value because of Toronto's highly specific circumstances.

2- Centres
Personally, I think the Leafs are actually pretty happy with what they've got at centre. If they lose a top 6 guy, they've got Kerfoot or even Spezza could theoretically step up. The only guy they're not really able to lose is Kampf given his utilization. Nick Bonino likely fits this role really well, but does have a 2-year deal, meaning it's unlikely the Sharks are going to retain. That puts him in a position of having to remove Ritchie from the lineup, and I'm not so sure the Leafs really want to do that.

For Cogliano or some of the other guys, maybe there's something to be done with Mikheyev and/or Engvall... but I think you're really splitting hairs.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not sure what the point of Tyler Motte is the Leafs have 13 or 14 forwards already better than him.

If he could be acquired for the Marlies that's different but I don't see where he cracks the NHL roster

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I'm not sure what the point of Tyler Motte is the Leafs have 13 or 14 forwards already better than him.

If he could be acquired for the Marlies that's different but I don't see where he cracks the NHL roster
I would suggest you watch him more if this is your take. You don't need to want him on your team, but he is better than forwards that are currently playing on the Leafs. He is exactly what a cup team wants from their 4th line.

Reactions: 29Potvin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad