Friedman: Leafs may keep money on a Matt Martin Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wonder if there is a team out there who likes Martin and likes a player like Leivo. Perhaps the Leafs could find a taker for both players, not retain any $$ (or retain less) and use Leivo as the 'sweetener' to get someone to take Martin off of their hands. Based on Martin being a thorn in the side of the Rangers for years on the Island and the need for the Rangers to add some depth to their forward group I wonder if they would consider taking both. Something like:

Matt Martin @ $2.25m + Josh Leivo

for

B-level prospect like Adam Tambellini or something like that

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
I wonder if there is a team out there who likes Martin and likes a player like Leivo. Perhaps the Leafs could find a taker for both players, not retain any $$ (or retain less) and use Leivo as the 'sweetener' to get someone to take Martin off of their hands. Based on Martin being a thorn in the side of the Rangers for years on the Island and the need for the Rangers to add some depth to their forward group I wonder if they would consider taking both. Something like:

Matt Martin @ $2.25m + Josh Leivo

for

B-level prospect like Adam Tambellini or something like that

That's a pretty good idea actually. Or maybe Martin and Leivo for a 4th.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Babs either doesn’t let Martin fight or Martin doesn’t want to anymore after that fight with McQuaid. He’s not the player that I anticipated us signing. Seems great with the kids and will throw the body around a bit but he’s just not much of an agitator and doesn’t finish his checks as much as I’d want from his style of player.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd only retain if a nice draft pick / prospect is coming back.

I mean, these are NHL gm's were talking about. Would anyone seriously be surprised that a team would take on his whole contract and give up a 2nd/3rd round pick?

He's a goon that can play hockey (poorly), but I mean McLeod still gets picked up. Pittsburgh moved 30 spots down (from the 1st round) for Reeves. Both these guys couldn't hold Martin's jockstrap as an actual hockey player.

I'm not saying I'd trade for him at that price, I just think NHL GM's and coaches lick their lips at a player like him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd only retain if a nice draft pick / prospect is coming back.

I mean, these are NHL gm's were talking about. Would anyone seriously be surprised that a team would take on his whole contract and give up a 2nd/3rd round pick?

He's a goon that can play hockey (poorly), but I mean McLeod still gets picked up. Pittsburgh moved 30 spots down (from the 1st round) for Reeves. Both these guys couldn't hold Martin's jockstrap as an actual hockey player.

I'm not saying I'd trade for him at that price, I just think NHL GM's and coaches lick their lips at a player like him.

McLeod was picked up because this is his final year on his deal and he makes peanuts. Reaves also makes peanuts. Martin does not

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hopefully "keep money" = keep Martin in the press box until this offseason. Pay his 1.5 million dollar bonus and then trade him to a budget team.

"Keep money" without keeping cap and the team acquiring doesn't care if we keep cap as long as we pay 37.5% of the salary remaining on his deal(1.5 of 4 million)

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
McLeod was picked up because this is his final year on his deal and he makes peanuts. Reaves also makes peanuts. Martin does not

I think you grossly overestimate the intelligence of NHL general managers. I guarantee that the Leafs weren't the only ones offering that 4x2.5M deal, and I doubt there aren't any teams willing to take that on.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think you grossly overestimate the intelligence of NHL general managers. I guarantee that the Leafs weren't the only ones offering that 4x2.5M deal, and I doubt there aren't any teams willing to take that on.

If that's the case, the Rangers should be able to off-load Brendan Smith.

And the Bruins should be able to off-load Matt Beleskey.

etc.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Move Moore to the pressbox and put Komarov at center between Martin and Kapanen.
Komarov is decent at winning face offs as he takes the draws when on the PK.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

etc.
Doubtful.
Trading a 2.5x2 plug would be way easier to trade than a 3.5x2 plug or a 4.35x3 plug.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Martin being on the bench and in the lineup will keep oppenents honest for 2 reason.

1. They will have to answer the bell...

2. If someone takes a run at Mathews, they have to fear the retaliation...

Thats what enforcers do. Keep opponents honest

I like Matt Martin, but he isn’t really an enforcer though, he’s a grinder who occasionally drops the gloves but isn’t particularly good at it. He doesn’t try and fight much, he’s not the type to retaliate, and he’s not scary.

Colton Orr was a scary ass enforcer, Matt Martin is the sad residue of what is left from that era. What the Leafs need isn’t a Martin, but a couple power-forward types ala Simmonds, Josh Anderson ect.

Mitch is going to hit the dew hard if Martins traded, lol.

Reactions: Drew311

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Really do not think that the leafs are trying to trade Martin

Pretty much every hockey insider has said they are. Teams don't like having a 2.5M player on the 4th line, especially when he can't skate or produce offense.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Better choice would have been not to sign him in the first place. Most Leafs fans saw this coming when there were rumours of it happening back on July 1st, 2016, and were hoping that it didn't happen. There were also rumours that we wanted to sign Kris Russell that day as well so at least we only made the cheaper mistake of the 2.

Frulix

Jan 6, 2018
I still think it would be a good idea to trade JvR+Martin to the islanders for picks or Bozak+Martin for picks, depending on who the Islanders would want.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

etc.

Brendan Smith I wouldn't be too surprised see getting traded. I don't know what happened to him in NYR though.

Belesky is highly doubtful without retention. He doesn't bring the "truculence, hitting, protection" that Martin does that some fans/GM's/Coaches still believe is necessary in the modern day NHL.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
What happens when Dotchin knees Matthews?

Keeping money is a mistake. We still holding 1.2 on Kessel.

It would be for a season and a bit. They wouldn't have any contracts to shed requiring retention. They would be fine to retain if they need to.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Retaining a mil on him adds up to about the same as sending him to the minors doesn't? I guess as a sign of respect they might want to avoid that but I don't think it would hurt to keep him for now and explore options in the summer.

I'm agreeing with this, barring a trade where you don't retain on him, which is the only scenario I see him being moved before the offseason. After his bonus gets paid I could see the leafs dumping him on a floor team with a prospect.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Thats not how hockey works.

You dont have to be on the ice when an incident happens.

Martin being on the bench and in the lineup will keep oppenents honest for 2 reason.

1. They will have to answer the bell as you know Martin will get deployed out there eventually.

2. If someone takes a run at Mathews, they have to fear the retaliation that a guy like Martin will take a run at Kucherov/Stamkos.

Thats what enforcers do. Keep opponents honest

But Martin will not see the ice when Stamkos and Kuch are on.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I'd rather Martin than Moore, we can play Komie or Kap as our 4th C in the playoffs and Matty can bring some grit into the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad