Leafs Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
Surprised to see Hunwick all the way up to 27 and a half minutes with Rielly close behind with 25 minutes. Phaneuf with 17.5 minutes but I'm sure that's to do with having only one powerplay.

Another low scoring game, the inconsistent skill level is really showing. Not surprising though looking at the current roster.

The problem with the leafs is idiot management at MLSE. As Burke said in a statement last week "All I’d say is — I left a playoff team".

Despite the fact that young team made playoffs for the first time after almost a decade, idiots fired the GM and shuffled a lot of players. Instead of celebrating the fact the fact that they made it to the playoff and took a power house of a team to game 7 in the playoff series. yes they choked but it was at that time youngest team in the nhl. :shakehead

Instead of building on that and allowing the players to gain experience the idiots dismantled.:shakehead Just like they tried to run Sundin out of town, they got rid of the only skillful star the team had. Witout realizing the fact kessel was achieving all that with zero support and despite having to play with 3rd line center. Since the time Kessel started in Toronto, leafs were only getting scoring from the first line with no depth scoring

The correction Leafs needed to do was with the balance of the Defence lineup. Leafs blue line consisted of 5 offensive defecemen and 1 defensive defenceman(happened after Burke was fired) . Given this lineup the system Carlyle devised was to overcome this and tried to play the rush game and rely on the speed. He knew he couldn`t rely on the defense that he had to play a defensive game. We all saw how horrible team was under Horachuk after idiot Shanahan fired Carlyle.

Yes I a calling Shanahan idiot because in my opinion he screwed up big time and set us back probably 5 years. And calling MLSE management idiot for firing Burke and handing the reigns to Shanahan who has no experience in building any team in NHL. If you wanna see the difference just look at Calgary under Burke and see how far along they are already under Burke

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
The problem with the leafs is idiot management at MLSE. As Burke said in a statement last week "All I’d say is — I left a playoff team".

Despite the fact that young team made playoffs for the first time after almost a decade, idiots fired the GM and shuffled a lot of players. Instead of celebrating the fact the fact that they made it to the playoff and took a power house of a team to game 7 in the playoff series. yes they choked but it was at that time youngest team in the nhl.

Instead of building on that and allowing the players to gain experience the idiots dismantled. Just like they tried to run Sundin out of town, they got rid of the only skillful star the team had. Witout realizing the fact kessel was achieving all that with zero support and despite having to play with 3rd line center. Since the time Kessel started in Toronto, leafs were only getting scoring from the first line with no depth scoring

The correction Leafs needed to do was with the balance of the Defence lineup. Leafs blue line consisted of 5 offensive defecemen and 1 defensive defenceman(happened after Burke was fired) . Given this lineup the system Carlyle devised was to overcome this and tried to play the rush game and rely on the speed. He knew he couldn`t rely on the defense that he had to play a defensive game. We all saw how horrible team was under Horachuk after idiot Shanahan fired Carlyle.

Yes I a calling Shanahan idiot because in my opinion he screwed up big time and set us back probably 5 years. And calling MLSE management idiot for firing Burke and handing the reigns to Shanahan who has no experience in building any team in NHL. If you wanna see the difference just look at Calgary under Burke and see how far along they are already under Burke

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Despite the fact that young team made playoffs for the first time after almost a decade, idiots fired the GM and shuffled a lot of players. Instead of celebrating the fact the fact that they made it to the playoff and took a power house of a team to game 7 in the playoff series. yes they choked but it was at that time youngest team in the nhl. :shakehead

Instead of building on that and allowing the players to gain experience the idiots dismantled.:shakehead Just like they tried to run Sundin out of town, they got rid of the only skillful star the team had. Witout realizing the fact kessel was achieving all that with zero support and despite having to play with 3rd line center. Since the time Kessel started in Toronto, leafs were only getting scoring from the first line with no depth scoring

Brendan Shanahan... set this organization back... five years.
okay.

and Calgary's successes that people were all "yay" about last year?
98% Jay Feaster. just as a FYI.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So at one point you talk about what a young talented team we had, the next we had no support for poor Kessel?

The holes in your logic is Bryzgalov-big.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
Brendan Shanahan... set this organization back... five years.
okay.

and Calgary's successes that people were all "yay" about last year?
98% Jay Feaster. just as a FYI.

Nope biggest impact change that Burke was smart enough to realize in Calgary they they had pieces there he got them a good goalie and brought up a few player from their system.

If they had brought in idiot Shanahan, he would have dismantled the team.

MacerV

Jul 10, 2015
Yes, let us ignore all the stats that said we were super lucky to make it to the playoffs.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
we should have kept Burke. that's what I gathered.

:laugh:

not to mention there's the Leafs management thread.

I am pointing out the reasons for our team taking one step forward and 2 step backwards is due to stupid decisions by the management.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So Shanahan is an idiot for setting the team back 5 years? Even though he was clear a rebuild was needed, and it would be a long term plan

... So going the course of a rebuild was a dumb idea?

... Because year after year of collapsing from the same core players wasn't enough proof that change was needed?

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
Yes, let us ignore all the stats that said we were super lucky to make it to the playoffs.

I am not saying we had a perfect team, but we had something that we needed to build on. No team can go directly from missing playoffs for 9 years straight to becoming stanley cup champions in one season.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Only thing I don't like is that Stuart Percy isn't on the big roster. Definitely think he deserves it. We seem real hesitant to play young talent (which is fair, we suck). Also they've only traded Kessel instead of the core like I figured they would. All in due time though.
As long as we get a top 5 pick again I'm content.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
So Shanahan is an idiot for setting the team back 5 years? Even though he was clear a rebuild was needed, and it would be a long term plan

... So going the course of a rebuild was a dumb idea?

Because year after year of collapsing from the same core players wasn't enough proof that change was needed?
So what were the core players that we had ?

dkjones907

Oct 7, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The problem was that this team had almost nothing resembling a proper defense or any core players other than Kessel/JVR. We needed to rebuild because there were glaring holes in the roster. Yeah, it meant that we had to give up Kessel, but it also means that now we're assembling a more complete team.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

Despite the fact that young team made playoffs for the first time after almost a decade, idiots fired the GM and shuffled a lot of players. Instead of celebrating the fact the fact that they made it to the playoff and took a power house of a team to game 7 in the playoff series. yes they choked but it was at that time youngest team in the nhl.

Instead of building on that and allowing the players to gain experience the idiots dismantled. Just like they tried to run Sundin out of town, they got rid of the only skillful star the team had. Witout realizing the fact kessel was achieving all that with zero support and despite having to play with 3rd line center. Since the time Kessel started in Toronto, leafs were only getting scoring from the first line with no depth scoring

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004

Have you checked the standings today though? I don't see us looking up at Calgary and we're 27th overall. I honestly think the Flames are in line for a correction this year. Let's see how Burkie reacts before we proclaim him to be God.

Burke brought Kessel and Phaneuf in here and put them in positions to fail. He gave Dion the "C" rather than asking him to earn it and asked a very introverted Kessel to come in here and be a leader on a young, bad, team and lead them to the promised land when most in the business knew that Phil was a follower and not a leader.

If Burke had been patient maybe we would have had the choice of Taylor or Tyler?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Is this just a long winded troll job?

Your problem was overvaluing 1 lockout shortened season where we had unreal special teams (2nd best behind San Jose in PP/PK).

Even in that lockout season as the season wore on our flaws got more and more exposed as teams got their systems in place and started to play a heavier game.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad

Take a deeepp breathe...now pls go to sleep and stop drinking

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm doing nothing right now so I'm going to tackle this.

A playoff team that by all metrics and history, would've collapsed had the season even been a week longer. It was poor defensively, and had no true core players besides Kessel.

MLSE fired Burke before they made the playoffs, after he mortgaged the future and built one of the worst rosters in the entire NHL. He left a consistent bottom 10 team here, with one anomaly year as a playoff team. What an accomplishment. I would think Leafs fans would want more from this franchise than a historic collapse.

Did 2013-14 not happen? The Leafs did try to build on that success. Shanahan wasn't even around when Nonis was busy "building" on the failed core. He brought in Clarkson, Bolland, and Bernier to try and augment the team. It didn't happen, they reverted to their old bottom 10 ways. Guess that unsustainable play from he lockout shortened season really was unsustainable after all.

Nonis was the GM after that playoff team, he's the one that did nothing to address the defense that offseason, instead focusing on upgrading the forwards (it really wasn't, Gabovski and MacArthur are both better than Bolland and Clarkson) and the goaltending.

Carlyle tried to milk as much as he could out of the roster sure, but he also made a ton of baffling coaching decisions in his time here. Forcing Clarkson powerplay time and top 6 time, not breaking up the JVR-Bozak-Kessel line when things clearly weren't working, his treatment of the younger players while the vets could do no wrong. There was a lot wrong with that old dinosaur.

This franchise was set back the minute Burke decided to mortgage the future on a one dimensional (in the loosest term of the word) forward. You conveniently leave out a period of time between Burke and Shanahan where Nonis arguably did more damage to the franchise than Burke did.

Nithoniel is also right when he says you contradict yourself. You say we had a good young team, yet the team didn't have good enough pieces around Kessel? Well how could they build upon that core if it wasn't good enough?

Yeesh.

Is this just a long winded troll job?

Your problem was overvaluing 1 lockout shortened season where we had unreal special teams (2nd best behind San Jose in PP/PK).

Even in that lockout season as the season wore on our flaws got more and more exposed as teams got their systems in place and started to play a heavier game.

I'm pretty positive it is.

buttman*

Burke is an idiot. He didn't leave anything. Phil Kessel is a joke and he traded away the Leafs future seconds into his tenure. Biggest idiot in hockey.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
It was stupid to keep both goalies. They should have been traded for picks. New goalies could have been signed for free last July. Choosing arbitration was even more stupid. Leafs management and Shanahan with the last word was kindergarden at that time. Good they got Lamoriello who did what he could.

Burke's interview was interesting, saying that they all never had to follow orders. We will see.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Yes I a calling Shanahan idiot

You a wrong, yousa idiot.

Have you checked the standings today though? I don't see us looking up at Calgary and we're 27th overall. I honestly think the Flames are in line for a correction this year. Let's see how Burkie reacts before we proclaim him to be God.

I'm anticipating some kind of Burkish move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad