Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-1

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The coach can't get creative with his line juggling? Reaves has to be on the ice? We're trying to score a goal, not punch someone.
Of course he can mix a line, but the fourth line is used to playing as a unit.

Reeves hasn't actually punched anyone this year, and that line has looked decent.

I didn't say anything about the coach, or whether it was a good or bad decision. I just started a simple fact.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yeah, weirdly the guy is ignoring 97% of the fanbase screaming to get Tavares off the top unit.

Although that's the guy's schtick

I was told that OEL was the answer, not that Tavares had to be removed.

Reeves hasn't actually punched anyone this year, and that line has looked decent.

I didn't say anything about the coach, or whether it was a good or bad decision. I just started a simple fact.

That line has looked terrible in the last couple of games.

First couple of games they looked good.

Build from the net out is a proven way to build a winner……..

Which of the recent teams built from the net out? 1 of the last 3? Even that is debatable.

Having a hot goalie for the playoffs is great, but it is not a requirement.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Said player had the best PP chance last night...

Also, didn't we just need OEL and a point shot? What happened to that talk?
Most of the 'fix the PP' conversation has specified replacing both JT and Mo.

Yes, JT had a good chance last night and scored from about the same position on the PP in the previous game.

Unfortunately it looks more and more like his hands are good only if he's not moving his feet.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I stated it was a bad decision. I know the fact that the fourth line is a line... that's the problem with the deployment of it?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'm not going to judge anyone until the playoffs are over.

For us the regular season is basically an 82 game warmup to get ready for the games that really matter. What we've done in previous years is basically f*** around playing pond hockey, and when the playoffs start we're not ready to play playoff hockey. We're playing playoff style hockey now which to me, is a very good sign.

Keep playing the way we're playing and we'll come out on the right side of it often enough. And if we get out-goalied again in the spring, that will suck of course but I can live with it if we fight hard until the end, instead of rolling over and giving it away in game 7 as we've done all too often in the past.
If Berube + Treliving lose in game 7 fighting hard until the end it doesnt matter

The time for that was 2018 or 2019

They need to win...full stop

This team isnt built to compete and try. Its built to win. R1 or even R2 failure is a disaster season which hopefully costs Treliving his GM job and 91 and 16 there leafs careers

Playing well and losing?

Happens a lot, it's why people complain about others saying the other team's goalie played well.

People are silent on that right now, no clue why.
The other teams goalie played well, nd the core continues to be ass

Is that the answer you want?

Leafs top to bottom need to be better to win come playoffs. The core needs to be better, coaching, defense etc.

We cant be using getting goalied as an excuse 9 years into Matthews era.

These guys stink at finishing in the playoffs, always have and we need to see if they always will.

Berube/Savard need to fix the PP as its still as crappy as it was last year. Tavares down to PP2 and Knies to PP1 seems the most simple and clear answer

2 of 3 problems on the PP (16, 91, and 44) removed from PP1 and marner does look better there this year especially behind the net, so he can stick there and hopefully keep up the solid looks

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I was told that OEL was the answer, not that Tavares had to be removed.

That line has looked terrible in the last couple of games.

First couple of games they looked good.

Which of the recent teams built from the net out? 1 of the last 3? Even that is debatable.

Having a hot goalie for the playoffs is great, but it is not a requirement.
sorry, too beautiful a day to bite on one of your argumentative posts, find someone else to annoy............

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Most of the 'fix the PP' conversation has specified replacing both JT and Mo.

Yes, JT had a good chance last night and scored from about the same position on the PP in the previous game.

Unfortunately it looks more and more like his hands are good only if he's not moving his feet.

We have one of the best players in the league for zone entries (assuming without looking at stats), they should use him more...

JT has a role (or should have one), and it isn't handling the puck.

Anyway, there was a lot of talk about missing a point shot and OEL being the answer, people saying that'd fix the PP.

Not seeing it so far.

sorry, too beautiful a day to bite on one of your argumentative posts, find someone else to annoy............

Why respond? Ending a conversation is easier when you end it... your post is pretty illogical.

Anyway, you were wrong, Colorado, Vegas, and I don't even think Florida have a strong case for building from the net out.

Bobrovsky was their backup goalie going into the playoffs not long ago.

Anyway, enjoy the day, it is a good excuse to pretend like you aren't wrong.

The other teams goalie played well, nd the core continues to be ass

Is that the answer you want?

Leafs top to bottom need to be better to win come playoffs. The core needs to be better, coaching, defense etc.

We cant be using getting goalied as an excuse 9 years into Matthews era.

These guys stink at finishing in the playoffs, always have and we need to see if they always will.

Berube/Savard need to fix the PP as its still as crappy as it was last year. Tavares down to PP2 and Knies to PP1 seems the most simple and clear answer

2 of 3 problems on the PP (16, 91, and 44) removed from PP1 and marner does look better there this year especially behind the net, so he can stick there and hopefully keep up the solid looks

No, I don't need a better answer.

Sometimes the goalie outplays the shooters, that is hockey.

I just find it comical how many people would moan and complain before about this and are now saying it is a valid talking point.

I agree with most of this though.

I don't think Marner is the issue on the PP though, also don't care if JT is there or not, but that player should be a net-front presence regardless, not cycling to the side wall.

Nylander has also been a problem but people ignore it.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
We have one of the best players in the league for zone entries (assuming without looking at stats), they should use him more...

Anyway, there was a lot of talk about missing a point shot and OEL being the answer, people saying that'd fix the PP.

Not seeing it so far.

Why respond? Ending a conversation is easier when you end it... your post is pretty illogical.

Anyway, you were wrong, Colorado, Vegas, and I don't even think Florida have a strong case for building from the net out.

Bobrovsky was their backup goalie going into the playoffs not long ago.

Anyway, enjoy the day, it is a good excuse to pretend like you aren't wrong.

No, I don't need a better answer.

Sometimes the goalie outplays the shooters, that is hockey.

I just find it comical how many people would moan and complain before about this and are now saying it is a valid talking point.

I agree with most of this though.

I don't think Marner is the issue on the PP though, also don't care if JT is there or not, but that player should be a net-front presence regardless, not cycling to the side wall.

Nylander has also been a problem but people ignore it.
The problem is the leafs team and core guys find this happening way to often routinely despite them being considered elite offensive superstars

Too many goalies have had their numbers now in the playoffs

Rask, Korpisalo/Merziklens, Price, Vas, Bob, Swayman

The number of goalies making the elite core guys loom pedestrian is way too high.

The core + coaching has to find a way to not see our offense die down so heavily.

Whether that is a super strong PP which can punish a team for giving us an extra man, or a heavy possession and counter attack top 6 that is able to grind down top lines and convery chances to hold tight lead wins is to be seen.

Something does need to change from an offense perspective for the playoffs.

We cant be "goalied" again by Vas, Swayman, Bob, Shest in the playoffs again and continue paying so mucb cap allocation to this group of core forwards who prove time again to not be able to deliver

The team played well vs Rangs, but the PP has to be fixed. Either changing the strategies or personnel (JT out)

Im also not sure what issues have been with Nylander? He is playing on a rush line with Domi, and thst line has been pretty good with issue being Domi being overpasser and nylander not scoring. I would expect Nylander to fix that as he is shooting and will continue to shoot vs overpassing like Marner or Domi are doing

ON the PP he has been a dangerous threat and been good at getting the zone when given it.

Our issue is having JT on the halfwall/left side entry and MM/AM giving the puck to the left side vs to right side where Nylander is. JT is too easy to strip/pressure on the puck and that leads to easier zone exits/clears for PKIng team

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
"Defense wins Championships"

1 good/hot goalie = WIN, because > 4 forwards making $11 mil + AAV = LOSS

A hot goalie really should be harassed early and often with sight lines taken away, space contested at the top of the crease and made to play the puck and disrupted with dump ins behind the net.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If Berube + Treliving lose in game 7 fighting hard until the end it doesnt matter

The time for that was 2018 or 2019

They need to win...full stop

This team isnt built to compete and try. Its built to win. R1 or even R2 failure is a disaster season which hopefully costs Treliving his GM job and 91 and 16 there leafs careers
I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree. I just mean that I will have more respect for our guys if they fight until the end, the way they've folded in the past has been hard to take. Winning is always the goal, but if you're gonna lose, lose with dignity.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Playing well and losing?

Happens a lot, it's why people complain about others saying the other team's goalie played well.

People are silent on that right now, no clue why.
Sometimes you get goalied.

Both losses the other goalies played great. You just have to tip your cap sometimes.

Shit happens.

Go kick Tampas ass tomorrow night and get on another win streak. That's what good teams do.

Leafs are fully capable of that.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Not seeing it so far.
Absolutely they should stop with so many drop passes and let Nylander carry it. Worked every time last night.

Most of the talk about fixing the PP was about both Rielly and Tavares.

It looked better when JT was sick.
It looked better when OEL replaced Mo.
It looked even better with both Knies and OEL .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad