Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-1

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Not the worst game they’ve played; the other side’s goaltending was almost flawless, though helped by the fact that half the Leafs attempted shots missed the net.
Scratching Pacioretty for a second straight game doesn’t look too clever after a game where you couldn’t finish..

Reactions: Al14

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
It’s the players don’t listen or Savard just took Keefes notes. I don’t see anything different in the first unit. A lot of people in Calgary didn’t like the PP that was run last year either.
nothing different.marner will never flourish under berube ,

Reactions: darrylsittler27

weems

Jul 3, 2008
2/16 on the PP this season, 1/21 in the playoffs, so for the past 12 games they are 3/37, which is about 8%. No no, we should keep marner and JT though

This was our PP last regular season vs FLA, BOS, TB...

1-5 vs FLA
0-2 vs TB
0-2 vs BOS
0-3 vs TB
0-6 vs FLA
0-1 vs BOS
0-4 vs BOS
1-4 vs BOS
0-3 vs FLA
1-4 vs TB
1-5 vs FLA
0-3 vs TB

4 for 42

These are the teams we need to go through.
It looks like our PP has been figured out by the elite teams in our division.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Switch goalies and we run them out of the building. Better team lost. Bring on Tampa.

We need to win this division. But man, it’s clearly the toughest in the league

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
They played well. Shesterkin was phenomenal.

I'm going to hold off judging JT he came off the flu this week and that could be holding him back on the cardio/timing. Doesn't look great though.

Top line looked fantastic.

To be honest, really pleased with them. That was pretty close to playoff hockey and they're playing it in October instead of realizing it in Game 3 of the first round.

Long season. Good game but a tough loss.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Our biggest issue continues to plague us... we aren't making it tough enough on these goalies. Our skilled players hold the puck for too long. They're good enough to get the puck into high danger ice, but the goalies know exactly where it's coming from.

Lateral puck movement, one-touch passes and bodies in front. That's the key. Our best players rag the puck and everyone on the ice knows where the play is developing.

This is why we make mid goalies look elite and elite goalies look unbeatable
Time for Knies to be a net presence on the PP, plant his ass there and watch the chaos ensue……….

Tavares is f***ing garbage. 4th line for rest of season and he better not be resigned.

We got goalied tonight. Happens
He’s fine playing third line minutes, but he needs to be gone from the PP………..

Reactions: BallardEra

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The power play is still a non factor and playing your 4th line in the last few minutes down a goal, more than once, is a decision...

They played an ok game though.
When you're stacking Matty, Mitch, Willy, and JT looking for a goal, the only line still intact is the fourth. They weren't bad, and you could argue they were more effective than the Tavares line.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
I thought they played generally well, Matthews was really great in the 3rd, but they got goalied. Knies also stood out and is going to be a really good player for this team. His down-low play is fantastic and he's very fast for his size.

I thought overall they were the better of the 2 teams but not enough to overcome the rangers superior goaltending.

Nylander was putting in a lot effort but was getting frustrated in the 3rd and making boneheaded decisions because of it. He'll clean that up I'm sure.

Tavares has a few more games to shake off certain things and his illness, but right now he looks slow as molasses and if he's playing like this say 20 games in, the leafs need another center.

Robertson hasn't earned a promotion yet, but he does look in way better shape.

OEL still looked great.

Reactions: BallardEra

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Powerplay is disgustingly bad
Especially when you factor in our players salaries on it !!!

At their overpriced salaries, our PP should score nearly at a 50% pace.

If hitting the posts counted for something, this team of ours would be golden.

JMHO.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Stolarz’s effectiveness to start the year let to a collective stopping of the hearts of Leafs fans tuned in when, twice during the game, play was stopped with Stolarz appearing to have trouble standing up and moving around without assistance. And, in both instances, it was proven to be an equipment-related issue. He elaborated on the issue when talking to the media postgame.

“I looked down, and kinda just saw a skate inside my pad, and it was Benny’s skate that got up in there, and I kind of felt something,” Stolarz said. “I wear those cut-proof socks, I had an incident back in junior so maybe a little PTSD there. didn’t know if I felt anything or if it was just the adrenaline, so I just kind of wanted to make sure there was no cut.”

It may have been immediate relief for the fans to see that he wasn’t injured, especially after Joseph Woll’s injury prior to the season opener, but the fact that there was no whistle was an annoyance for the Maple Leafs’ goaltender.

Just have a player on your team “accidentally” bump into you and knock your helmet off. Then they will blow the whistle.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Pac in for Holmberg next game is my guess. Think Timmins sticks on D, he wasn't bad.

This is why you don't sign Tavares until the end of the year. Let it be, regression.
Tavares at LEAGUE MINIMUM, or see ya later. Sure, he can score when given time and space, however he fumbles the puck when pressured and looses too many puck battles. It also doesn't help that he's now too slow.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad