GDT: Leafs @ Habs -- pre-season game 4 -- 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Why is everybody talking about Xhekaj not getting suspended while conveniently ignoring the fact Pare stuck his leg out and destroyed Montreal's newly acquired star player's knee.

That was no accident. It wasn't a deliberate intent to injure. But it was a careless play that resulted in bodily harm to another player.

No different than checking someone from behind into the boards.

A dangeous play that should require supplemental disciplining. The fact Pare isn't good enough to ever serve that suspension is besides the point. The fact remains he stuck his knee out and into Laine's.

Then ran away when it came time to answer the bell.

Xhekaj gave Pare the opportunity to stand up for his actions and he did not. It was a classic case of a hit and run by someone too afraid of the punishment he knew was deserved and coming. If the situations were reversed I have no doubt there would be a contingent of fans calling for Pare's head on a stake saying he did it on purpose.

For proof you can read through the JT injury thread and see for yourself how many people were happy Foligno dummied Perry.
People are talking about Xhekaj not getting suspended because he didn't get suspended.

People are not talking about Pare sticking his leg out and destroyed Montreal's newly acquired star player's knee because he didn't, and Laine isn't a star player.

Reactions: Racer88 and Roo

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Debatable

I see Laine gliding towards Pare, with his legs three feet apart, Pare shifting his upper body to stop Laine from walking around him, in that situation Pare had two choices, flamingo and let Laine skate around him or shift his upper body to push Laine off his path. If Laine was not gliding into a defender flat on his heals, that play would have never happened. Not sure I'd put 100% of the blame on Pare, could Pare let Laine by? Sure but hockey is a contact game and if Laine had lets say dumped the puck into the corner that play never happens, when you try to walk players, contact happens. Pare is not that type of player.

Exactly, Pare's intent is debateable, Zhekaj's intent is not.

Out of all the replies to my comment yours is the only one with any chops.

The rest are just argumemtative for the sake of arguing. I commend you for taking the high road and debating on the merits of intent. I don't see a deliberate attempt to injure but rather a split second decision by someone who got beat to stick his leg out and clip the opponent in attempt to slow him down.

The fact the shoulder contact came so much later after the knee I tend to believe Pare was leading with the knee, but I'm no expert, and I agree with you it's debateable what the actual intent was here.

Just combed through the first few pages of that thread and I didn’t see anything of the fight itself

Almost everyone was talking about how they hope JT is ok, how it was a freak play…etc

Very very small minority said things like, perry could’ve tried harder to avoid it or that he’s a prick, but most people in agreement it wasn’t his fault l

I put the mods comments first for a reason.

Foligno did the right thing. Any teammate who ends up in a heap in game action in catastrophic condition is typically going to be the spark for a fight. The fact that needs to be explained to the Toronto fanbase is surprising.

I'm glad Foligno stepped up. And if he hadn't, Simmonds would have too. It's good to have these guys in the lineup because the Leafs' haven't in the past and it's left fans screaming that the group has no heart/are soft.

Hoping JT can rebound quickly. I'm more concerned that the whiplash on his neck will keep him out longer.

You are 100% and it's disgusting they do no understand.

I'm was arguing with some of my old teammates about the scrap. They said the fight was stupid.
Listen, you hurt my captain, MY CAPTAIN....you're eating your lunch through a tube.

It was accidental...but the intent is irrelevant. The end result is he's seriously hurt to the point where hockey doesn't matter - he has a family. All that matters is his quality of life isn't impacted.

You took my Captain out, you're going to see out of one eye for 2 weeks. That's the way it works.
Perry knew it was coming and respect for him engaging and taking it. Now we can try to move on.

Do I think Perry intentionally tried to knee Tavares in the head to hurt him? No

Would I put it past Perry to play a little dirty and take extra shots at players in an intense playoff game? Absolutely not.

IMO Perry didn't intentionally knee him in the head. The play happened really fast and Perry didn't have a lot of time to reaction to how Tavares fell.

BUT - my guess is Perry saw the hit on Tavares as he turned and was taking a straight line back in the play and, in doing so, was looking at taking an extra shot at Tavares on the way by. Not necessarily in the head or anything, just a shot to the body.

These guys are gutless. If they cared they would have beat the shit out of the Habs last night both physically and on the scoreboard.

I think Perry needs more tough love.

I don't care how innnocent he was

I actually think Xhekaj showed enormous restraint.

Considering how mad he was Pare is lucky Xhekaj didn't smash his face off the ground like I've done to people in the past. It hurts like hell and one good smash is usually all it takes to break a nose. If Pare didn't want to get to get punched in the back of the head he should have answered the call and taken a punch in the face instead of trying to run away like a coward.

Here's a link to the Spezza suspension thead so you can read more about what Leafs fans think of retributive eye for an eye justice.

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Quesrion: What do you think Berube, a guy who made his living in the NHL standing up for his teammates and fighting on a regular basis, thought of Pare's cowardly action to run away and not stand up for himself?

My guess is he was impressed with Pare as I was.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Out of all the replies to my comment yours is the only one with any chops.

The rest are just argumemtative for the sake of arguing. I commend you for taking the high road and debating on the merits of intent. I don't see a deliberate attempt to injure but rather a split second decision by someone who got beat to stick his leg out and clip the opponent in attempt to slow him down.

The fact the shoulder contact came so much later after the knee I tend to believe Pare was leading with the knee, but I'm no expert, and I agree with you it's debateable what the actual intent was here.

I put the mods comments first for a reason.

I actually think Xhekaj showed enormous restraint.

Considering how mad he was Pare is lucky Xhekaj didn't smash his face off the ground like I've done to people in the past. It hurts like hell and one good smash is usually all it takes to break a nose. If Pare didn't want to get to get punched in the back of the head he should have answered the call and taken a punch in the face instead of trying to run away like a coward.

Here's a link to the Spezza suspension thead so you can read more about what Leafs fans think of retributive eye for an eye justice.
I didn’t know you were such a Jack eye fan

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Robertson with 3 goals in his last 2 games that's they Robertson that I like.

Get rid of the brain farts and he could be a very good player.

People say our LW is a weak spot between Robertson, Knies and Cowan I'm not so sure about that.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

People say our LW is a weak spot between Robertson, Knies and Cowan I'm not so sure about that.
It’s crazy that we pickled a LW with our top pick in 4 out of 5 years starting in 2019 and it’s still viewed as a positional weekness.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It’s crazy that we pickled a LW with our top pick in 4 out of 5 years starting in 2019 and it’s still viewed as a positional weekness.

It's because you are comparing it to Nylander and Marner on the right side.

If Nylander switches to C full-time, RW is our weakest position, LW will be our second strongest maybe (Domi, Knies, Robertson, McMann, Holmberg, Dewar, Pacioretty).

I think wingers should just be grouped together since a lot can play both sides (Nylander, Jarnkrok, Domi, Robertson, etc).

Also, Amirov is unfortunate and a big reason it is our weakest position.

I think he has looked a lot more calm with the puck this year, the tunnel-vision he normally has does not seem to be as noticeable, he is looking for teammates instead of staring at the net.

I always thought this was his biggest issue (forcing shots), so very happy to see this.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
1. Cowan was technically drafted as a RW, and is still a teenager.
2. Our LW isn't all that weak. It just feels that way comparatively because we have superstars at C and RW.
3. Of those 3 LWs we drafted, 1 died. The other two are in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad