Friedman: Leafs, Flames, Panthers, and Blues interested in Chiarot

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I see this complaint a lot of on this board.

I think the problem more is a lot of people have trouble with basic reading comprehension.

A lot of the time he makes it clear that what he's about to say are his own thoughts/feelings with no insider information, but social media runs with it anyway as if it's a legit rumor and then moan when it doesn't come to fruition (forgetting that, even if it was a legit rumor, most turn into nothing).

It applies to every reputable insider, with biases usually formed based on rumours/opinions people prefer or not and if the rumours/opinions reflect what happens.

But this is literally a board where people throw out trade and free agency proposals and no one on here is better informed than true insiders.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Friedman has turned into a joke. He makes shit up to get hits.
He doesn't actually. He has to fill a lot of air time so he says things like, "I could see this happening," or, "I wonder if team X doesn't look at this guy," and then people here hyperventilate and repost it as a rumor.
Pagnotta on the other hand

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
That's fair. So with no sarcasm intended here, what are the Habs needs?

Low 1st Pick + suspect or low 2nd + good (not great) prospect

From the Panthers I would see something like:

2023 1st + Jonas Johansson

Or

Owen Tippett + 2023 2nd

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
What does Klim Kostin count as? From MTL's pov

We'll, from my perspective there's a difference between Kostin and Tippett.

Tippett's been progressing while Kostin stagnate a bit.

I'd see more Neighbours as interesting in STL, considering him as a "good prospect".

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
We'll, from my perspective there's a difference between Kostin and Tippett.

Tippett's been progressing while Kostin stagnate a bit.

I'd see more Neighbours as interesting in STL, considering him as a "good prospect".
That's definitely fair. Kostin is currently stuck behind 9 very good forwards and being regulated to primarily 4th line minutes so I get your pov.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I will laugh so hard at Doug Armstrong and the Blues if they pay a first round pick and Scandella for this Hyped Scandella.

Pardon, I didn't notice you were wondering if a mere first was ENOUGH for this great player. Yes this is pure laughter time.

Pat Maroon’s not a ‘great’ player but his 2ot garbage goal was the turning point of our fortunes. Underestimate no one, especially on a team whose luck and karma and stats historically defy logic. You’re a Blues fan too, I shouldn’t have to explain this.

Asking if a 1st is enough for another teams player sets the ceiling. It’s a fair question to ask since it’s -their- player and -they- set what they want for him, not what we’ll necessarily pay. To think otherwise is pretty rude imo.

If Ben is a physical LD who can shelter and allow guys like Krug do what he does best and put up points, we need him. Period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archijerej

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
1. Friedman is an Insider, I am not

2. I don't think the Leafs are actually interested in Chiarot, it goes way against the grain of what Dubas has done in the past...which if you want to poke fun, yea maybe it's a good thing but Leafs have quite a few LD and Chiarot doesn't look nearly as good without Weber.

3. Tying the Leafs to as many things as possible leading up to the trade deadline day in hopes of bringing in more viewers/eyes/ears for the TDL show isn't anything new but we fall for it every year :)
I rather trade him to some other team at a lower return than to help the Leafs .

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I don't doubt that the money didn't work at the time or there was interest at one point but since then, Leafs have a bit of a logjam of LD now...and let's be honest, is Chiarot better than Rielly or Muzzin? No. Can he play RD well? No. Do the Leafs have a RD as good as Shea Weber? I wish.

I think someone will add Chiarot in a bottom 4 role and potentially be happy with that addition...I think St.Louis is a good landing spot for him. I don't see Toronto as a good fit anymore.
Defensively he's twice the player Rielly is.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Diehard Blues fan here, Habs fans, what's your ask?

Laugh all you want if the Blues end up with him and send the Habs a package with a 1st but he's a missing piece on our Blueline and would galvanize our D corps.
Seems we'd make good trading partners.

Reactions: BlueSeal

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not really.

Weber propped him up into a top 4 player...without Weber...he's not.
Yes easily. really. Putting up points and going on the offensive Rielly blows Chairot out of the water but you know, i know and so does everyone else know that Chairot is much better defensively especially around the crease.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yes easily. really. Putting up points and going on the offensive Rielly blows Chairot out of the water but you know, i know and so does everyone else know that Chairot is much better defensively especially around the crease.

Rielly playing a full minute more per game but has significantly better CA/60

Rielly on ice for 30 goals against all year...Chiarot pretty much double that.

Crack down on cross checking coupled with Weber not playing this season has made it pretty clear Chiarot is overrated defensively and pretty much most metrics support Rielly as actually being superior defensively.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Rielly playing a full minute more per game but has significantly better CA/60

Rielly on ice for 30 goals against all year...Chiarot pretty much double that.

Crack down on cross checking coupled with Weber not playing this season has made it pretty clear Chiarot is overrated defensively and pretty much most metrics support Rielly as actually being superior defensively.
1minute left in the game and the Leafs are up by a goal. You easily play Chairot over Rielly....Easily.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Not saying he’ll revolutionize your blue line but he’s way better than your 3rd pairing Dman and he will be a mainstay on any 2nd pairing that also can play 20 minutes of playoff hockey without a drop off in play. Notice the playoff hockey remark because that’s when he shines and others collapse. Dude is a total gamer.
Edit: mistake in number of minutes

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Then the offer is a 2nd. If Chiarot isn't going to move the needle that much, why would we pay a 1st for him?

Should add an extra condition that if its another 1st round exit the pick turns into a 3rd next year.
Chiarot will likely be traded for a 1st rd pick .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad