Leafs fan in peace with a question.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I made a thread on the leafs board and wanted your opinions on this. I was wondering if the leafs could have made a better pitch for Seguin than Dallas did to maybe have gotten Seguin to Toronto.

I was proposing that the leafs should have offered JVR as a center piece because in my eyes JVR > Eriksson. JVR would fit Bostons system perfectly. It would suck a first liner with the tools JVR has and I know they are rare, but getting a young #1 Center would be worth it.

So the question is would you guys even trade him to Toronto? Regardless of value, just having Seguin in the same conference? If yes, is there a package around JVR that you guys would take?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I made a thread on the leafs board and wanted your opinions on this. I was wondering if the leafs could have made a better pitch for Seguin than Dallas did to maybe have gotten Seguin to Toronto.

I was proposing that the leafs should have offered JVR as a center piece because in my eyes JVR > Eriksson. JVR would fit Bostons system perfectly. It would suck a first liner with the tools JVR has and I know they are rare, but getting a young #1 Center would be worth it.

So the question is would you guys even trade him to Toronto? Regardless of value, just having Seguin in the same conference? If yes, is there a package around JVR that you guys would take?

Like JVR- would get my attention; and it would be so much easier if we had Kessel and Seguin in one place. Yah I'm all for it if that was in play

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

On a board with "Darth Quaider" i really like your name!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I have no clue if Boston would have even considered it, but I can say this place would have exploded. Literally. :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Seguin and Kessel were in Toronto on the same line this place would not be able to handle it. I would do JVR and Finn or something similar. Heck to me JVR I like better by himself

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Eriksson we thought we were getting > JVR as of last year, even with the age difference.

JVR is really only truly breaking out this year and Eriksson was billed as maybe the second best two-way winger in the NHL after Hossa that was going to be slotted in next to the best two-way center in the game.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

There were a lot of moving parts to that trade, not the least of which was Eriksson's attractive cap hit, plus the fact that the Bruins were interested in Smith. I have no idea if there were any corresponding situations in Toronto.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
It would've been interesting. I think it could've happened, but would've taken over payment by Toronto.

I LOVE JVR...have since I watched him play at UNH. So that's a start.

But a Defenseman would've needed to come too...think Franson.

Seguin for JVR and Franson...

No idea how the money works (probably doesn't), but that would've got it done for me.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Next year if Smith hits for 25 and Eriksson returns to 25,well JVR ain't getting ya 50.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Eriksson we thought we were getting > JVR as of last year, even with the age difference.

JVR is really only truly breaking out this year and Eriksson was billed as maybe the second best two-way winger in the NHL after Hossa that was going to be slotted in next to the best two-way center in the game.

Starting to see why?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'm still happy with the trade. It's much harder to produce offense in Boston and JVR is weaker defensively than Loui.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
No chance.

Leafs had no Reilly Smith to offer let alone adding in a really solid defensive prospect like Joe Morrow.

Sorry, Eriksson wasn't the only piece of the deal. And I am going to write off the first half of this season because of the two serious concussions.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
I'd take JVR over Eriksson too, but the difference certainly isn't Reilly Smith + Joe Morrow + Matt Fraser + taking on Peverley's contract. There would also be a divisional tax, even if Chia wouldn't rule out trading him in the division. So you'd have to add quite a bit to JVR...

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'd take JVR over Eriksson too, but the difference certainly isn't Reilly Smith + Joe Morrow + Matt Fraser + taking on Peverley's contract. There would also be a divisional tax, even if Chia wouldn't rule out trading him in the division. So you'd have to add quite a bit to JVR...

Revisit the JVR-Eriksson comparison in a month.

iiBruins17*

I wouldn't be against trading him in the division. I like the trade we got, not so much Eriksson but if Toronto offered something better, I probably would have done it

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Starting to see why?

As to why he's billed as a top two-way winger? I dunno, I think it's tough to give any winger that much credit for defensive play as attention to detail on positioning (which is by far the most important thing for a player to have defensively) isn't even close to what d-men or centers have to do. It seems like the most respected two-way wingers mainly excel at forechecking and backchecking, which I don't think Eriksson does particularly well at due to his skating. Hossa in particular is the best backchecker in the league, and it's a huge reason why he gets so much acclaim as a top two-way guy.

What I do see in Eriksson is an exceptional stick on defense, for both stripping players of the puck and clogging up passing lanes, but I just don't know if he has the speed and agility to utilize that aspect of his game as much as he could. Still very helpful to have a great stick on D, but if we're talking about two-way wingers even just on the Bruins, I'm going with Marchand.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
As to why he's billed as a top two-way winger? I dunno, I think it's tough to give any winger that much credit for defensive play as attention to detail on positioning (which is by far the most important thing for a player to have defensively) isn't even close to what d-men or centers have to do. It seems like the most respected two-way wingers mainly excel at forechecking and backchecking, which I don't think Eriksson does particularly well at due to his skating. Hossa in particular is the best backchecker in the league, and it's a huge reason why he gets so much acclaim as a top two-way guy.

What I do see in Eriksson is an exceptional stick on defense, for both stripping players of the puck and clogging up passing lanes, but I just don't know if he has the speed and agility to utilize that aspect of his game as much as he could. Still very helpful to have a great stick on D, but if we're talking about two-way wingers even just on the Bruins, I'm going with Marchand.

Eriksson has been as good as anybody lately,save for that pass to Chara.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I wouldn't have dealt Seguin to Toronto, and I don't think Chiarelli would have either. Someone correct me here, but I believe he said during last off season that they need to accept that Seguin could very well turn into a 40 goal guy. It was something to that effect anyway. (Mike you can comment on my use of affect/effect later).

But yeah, for that reason alone I doubt Boston would have dealt Seguin inside the division.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I wouldn't have dealt Seguin to Toronto, and I don't think Chiarelli would have either. Someone correct me here, but I believe he said during last off season that they need to accept that Seguin could very well turn into a 40 goal guy. It was something to that effect anyway. (Mike you can comment on my use of affect/effect later).

But yeah, for that reason alone I doubt Boston would have dealt Seguin inside the division.

Yup I remember that and they know hockey is much more than that so a less astute observer (stat watcher) will be lamenting the loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad