Confirmed with Link: Leafs Extend Woll | 3 Years, $3.66 Million AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
It feels like they’re predicting him to have a monster year and they’re getting ahead of it. Hope the gamble doesn’t blow up. If he stays healthy this could be an awesome deal

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
It feels like they’re predicting him to have a monster year and they’re getting ahead of it. Hope the gamble doesn’t blow up. If he stays healthy this could be an awesome deal

I like the gamble. We waited on re-signing the Big Three to their second contracts and we ended up having to pay a premium on all of them. If we bridged Woll and he had a great season he'd likely demand $6 million a year to be the starter. Now hypothetically we have a starting caliber goalie for under $4 million for the next four seasons. That will be huge going forward if Woll's health holds up.

And while it's a small sample size, among goalies who have played at least a series worth of playoff games (7) Woll has the highest save percentage and GAA over the last two post-seasons. He's a ringer and if the Leafs can figure out how to score in the postseason we'll be cooking.

Brick_Woll_Playoffs.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bax

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
YEAH, I like Woll's potential but how much better is he than the guy who just led the league in save% and signed for $2.5

Not sure we saved any money, more so cost certainty.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
I'm bumping this just to add for context as to why Woll got as much as he did- Internal metrics and goalie advance stats not only show Woll as a starter, they show him as potentially one of the best starters in the league. It's all going to come down to whether or not he can stay healthy.

Unfortunately, Toronto has an awful track record when it comes to takings risks on injury prone goalies. For gods sake Mrazek is beloved in Chicago. That's a signing that cost Dubas in terms of reputation but the dude picked it back up again on a bad team.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'm bumping this just to add for context as to why Woll got as much as he did- Internal metrics and goalie advance stats not only show Woll as a starter, they show him as potentially one of the best starters in the league. It's all going to come down to whether or not he can stay healthy.

Unfortunately, Toronto has an awful track record when it comes to takings risks on injury prone goalies. For gods sake Mrazek is beloved in Chicago. That's a signing that cost Dubas in terms of reputation but the dude picked it back up again on a bad team.

They paid him what he'd get paid if he had a good year this year, that's the issue.

If he has an amazing year, this is an underpayment.

It is a gamble regardless.

I like Woll a lot as a goalie, but the sample size is too small to think that the metrics you are mentioning are going to continue, and as you mentioned, he has injury concerns already.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I don’t mind this at all. Low risk with medium return potential. If you can get average tending at 2.5 m that’s a good deal. Perfect goalie to try and get 30 good games out of. Woll 52, Stolraz 32.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad