Confirmed with Link: Leafs don't sign D Jani Hakanpaa to a 2 years, $1.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
All this Liljegren trade talk?!?!

How about we have 7 NHL dmen so when we have to go 9 or 10 deep in the season it is not so bad.

We also will have Hakanpaa coming off the knee injury and some older guys like Tanev, OEL and even McCabe that might need a breather or an injury break.

Our depth chart for this season as I see it goes...

Rielly
Tanev (R)
OEL
McCabe
Liljegren (R)
Hakanpaa (R)
Benoit
Timmins (R)
Mermis
Myers (R)
Rifai
Niemela (R)
Kokkonen
Webber
Mattinen (R)

That's pretty good and nice balance (R/L), nice size and grit added. It doesn't include the guys who have zero chance of playing in the NHL this year; Chadwick and Danford. I guess we could lose Timmins in waivers.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

How about we have 7 NHL dmen so when we have to go 9 or 10 deep in the season it is not so bad.

We also will have Hakanpaa coming off the knee injury and some older guys like Tanev, OEL and even McCabe that might need a breather or an injury break.

Rielly
Tanev (R)
OEL
McCabe
Liljegren (R)
Hakanpaa (R)
Benoit
Timmins (R)
Mermis
Myers (R)
Rifai
Niemela (R)
Kokkonen Hakanpaa
Webber
Mattinen (R)

That's pretty good and nice balance (R/L), nice size and grit added. It doesn't include the guys who have zero chance of playing in the NHL this year; Chadwick and Danford. I guess we could lose Timmins in waivers.
I thought Hakanpaa fell through. No insurer.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Looking at his stats his dZS% over 3 seasons with Dallas was 73.9. In the playoffs it was 83.5, lol, he's a goalies best friend.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Need to change the title of this thread to may or may not sign...
The fact that it has gone on this long makes me think they will sign him unless there is simply no way that he can be medically cleared to play. Otherwise, he would have signed somewhere else by now.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown

Rielly
Tanev (R)
OEL
McCabe
Liljegren (R)
Hakanpaa (R)
Benoit
Timmins (R)
Mermis
Myers (R)
Rifai
Niemela (R)
Kokkonen
Webber
Mattinen (R)

OEL is two spots too high. He is the 5th best Dman of that group. I would put Benoit ahead of Hakanpaa even with his defensive numbers. Benoit paired with McCabe they were the 46th best dman pairing last year. Not sure if that is all McCabe carrying Benoit. He plays a simple game but skates really well. His struggles in the playoffs aside.
One player to watch is Myers. If he can stay healthy and regain his confidence to the level he had in Philly he could be this year's Benoit. Injuries have really hurt his skating not sure if he can get it back.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
OEL is two spots too high. He is the 5th best Dman of that group. I would put Benoit ahead of Hakanpaa even with his defensive numbers. Benoit paired with McCabe they were the 46th best dman pairing last year. Not sure if that is all McCabe carrying Benoit. He plays a simple game but skates really well. His struggles in the playoffs aside.
One player to watch is Myers. If he can stay healthy and regain his confidence to the level he had in Philly he could be this year's Benoit. Injuries have really hurt his skating not sure if he can get it back.

It is hard to rate them numerically when they play different games.

Rielly is #1, unless you're rating defending the rush, in which case he's probably behind Benoit.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Thanks, I don't disagree with your adds and edits. I worry that because Benoit was fine and he and McCabe formed a good pairing that we might be overrating Benoit a bit. He is a great bottom pair guy on a good deal but I see some people put him top four and I don't ever see that.

A healthy Hakanpaa is better than Benoit IMO, let's see if we are a healthy Hakanpaa. I think OEL is going to surprise a lot of people here, I hope Liljegren does too.

Myers is a guy I was happy we signed. He is going to have to beat out a lot of guys to make this team, he could see call ups when injuries hit.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Mccabe is 3rd but oel is 4th best dman of that group and its not even close

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Incompetent isn't the word I'd use, but it's odd to have the name reported by the GM before signing.

Feels like the Leafs thought they were closer to the signing than they were. Could be players fault, could be GMs fault, likely a mixture of both
That's where I'm coming from. It was just odd.

Hopefully he's healthy to play because I think he would be a good addition if so.

Sep 18, 2009
This makes perfect sense.

However, it does not jive with the narrative that Treliving is a bumbling fool and his incompetence was outed most recently by Steve Simmons.
i mean tre has a great track record of gifting florida Tkachuk and a cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad